The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live   Read the announcement
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Rear Brakes... I'm stuck! A little help please?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

73midget Avatar
73midget Chris Edwards
Garland, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 3907117 by PeterC The adjuster ends of both shoes appear to be resting on the adjuster housing rather than into the wedgies slots. Just pry one shoe out and take a look.

Peter c

This. I don't think the shoes are properly placed.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
+1 Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
I disagree, the cutback DOES matter. It doesn't matter in terms of Rob's problem in getting the drums back on, but it does matter. Think about it, the shoes only move on one end when you push the pedal. We have a single cylinder with two pistons. The adjuster end of the shoes do not move out when you push on the pedal, the shoes pivot on the adjuster. The arc of the shoes may match the brake drum, but only one end moves out to contact the drum. Where the shoe contacts the drum makes a difference in braking effectiveness. There is a reason the brake system manufacturer used shoes with a cutback. http://www.engineeringinspiration.co.uk/drumbrakes.html

In reply to # 3907276 by jmac In my humble opinion, IMHO, (and "humble" might be a bit of a stretch of the truth) the cut back looks more like 3/4" rather than a full inch but the cut back shouldn't matter. The pads should be the same curvature as the drum so whether you have a cut back or not should not make a difference especially with the adjuster all the way out.

It appears to me that if the adjuster is all the way out and the 2 angled pieces are touching, or almost touching in the center that the shoes should fit into the each side of the adjuster housing further than they are. There is a bit of a tab that sticks out on the adjuster piece, I think to stabilize it in housing, I think your shoes are riding up on this tab and not down into the adjuster piece completely. (see the picture below)

+1 Yes No Thank
Richard D Avatar
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
….. disregard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-12 11:18 AM by Richard D.

Yes No Thank
RobbyJoe Avatar
RobbyJoe Rob Heib
Stanwood, WA, USA   USA
Well, a good nights sleep and rested eyes helped tremendously. As many here suspected, my problem was one of the shoes not sitting correctly in the adjuster slot. Being on jack-stands, I had to do a little contortion to get a good look, and sure enough one of the shoes was sitting on the lip of the wedge and not down on the correct “shelf”. Brake drum slid right on without issue! Now I can do the other side!
Thanks to all for saving me from an embarrassing call to NW Imports when it was my issue all along! At least this experience will serve as a great learning experience for me. Now I just have to do the right side, replace the flexible hose, bleed the system, adjust the hand brake, and I’ll be set to drive!

Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Glad you got it Rob. thumbs up

In reply to # 3907516 by RobbyJoe Well, a good nights sleep and rested eyes helped tremendously. As many here suspected, my problem was one of the shoes not sitting correctly in the adjuster slot. Being on jack-stands, I had to do a little contortion to get a good look, and sure enough one of the shoes was sitting on the lip of the wedge and not down on the correct “shelf”. Brake drum slid right on without issue! Now I can do the other side!
Thanks to all for saving me from an embarrassing call to NW Imports when it was my issue all along! At least this experience will serve as a great learning experience for me. Now I just have to do the right side, replace the flexible hose, bleed the system, adjust the hand brake, and I’ll be set to drive!

+1 Yes No Thank
jmac Avatar
jmac Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1971 MG Midget "Joy Ride"
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
In reply to # 3907351 by refisk I disagree, the cutback DOES matter. It doesn't matter in terms of Rob's problem in getting the drums back on, but it does matter.

Rick, I wasn't saying the cutback doesn't matter in the sense of operation or proper installation. I meant, as you said, in terms of Rob's problem it doesn't matter.
Sorry for the confusion.

Rob, glad you got it figured out!!!! This is a great forum, isn't it! thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upsmileys with beer

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-13 08:14 AM by jmac.

Member Services:
Midget/Spitfire 1500 engine rebuilding.
Yes No Thank
RobbyJoe Avatar
RobbyJoe Rob Heib
Stanwood, WA, USA   USA
Yes indeed, this place is awesome!

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster