The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live!
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Overpriced Midgets flooding the marketplace?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Figman123 Avatar
Figman123 Silver Member Herivan Figueroa
Harvest, AL, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "FIG72"
I agreed 110% same here! Great resto..!

Mr. Fig
FIG72

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
dte948 Avatar
dte948 DAVE ENSIGN
CLAVERACK, NY, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget Conversion "MIDGET Aka Woodie"
I wasn't going to touch this but I would part "Woodie" for 20K. Not worth any part of that but its just to much fun and I have very young grandson who loves it. Keep in mind that it became a rat-rod in the 60's. Might be the 1st Midget rat.

Midgets arn't hard to fix, there just easy to break!

Yes No Thank
NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
In reply to # 3891108 by dte948 I wasn't going to touch this but I would NOT EVER EVEN THINK ABOUT THINKING ABOUT part "Woodie" for 20K. Not worth any part of that but its just to much fun and I have very young grandson who loves it. Keep in mind that it became a rat-rod in the 60's. Might be the 1st Midget rat.

Fixed that for ya.smileys with beer

Pete

Yes No Thank
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Yours might be the first "Rat," dte948--but I'd like to think mine comes in a close second. The Purple Rat was my attempt to make a safe, driveable Midget on a shoestring. Roller chalkboard paint, leather belts for door straps, a guitar string to open the hood with a wingnut at the end, a pool ball for a shift knob, indoor-outdoor carpet inside, Harley muffler, truck horns activated by a button on the dash, etc. Oh, and a series of small Coke and V8 cans for fuel filters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-14 08:12 AM by littlecars.

Attachments:
IMG_3961.JPG    58.3 KB
IMG_3961.JPG

1974_MG_Midget_MkIII_Purple_David_Bassett_000.jpg    51.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Moto Lita Wheel in Purple Rat.jpg    45.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
Richard D Avatar
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
David, she must have been pretty fast with needing two parachute packs strapped to the rear bumper!! grinning smiley

+1 Yes No Thank
RedDuck Avatar
RedDuck Gold Member Richard P.
Jacksonville, FL, USA   USA
Let me add a little "fuel to the fire". I initially was trying to stay away from this topic but I thought "what the hell"! hot smiley Please look at the attached link.

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1062622

I am not the person that purchased this car at RM Auctions, Hershey in October, 2013 but I am the person that owns this car now. It was purchased my a car collector in San Diego, CA that unfortunately passed away in December, 2013. I did pay about half that price 3 months later.

Richard

Yes No Thank
Richard D Avatar
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
Richard, I don't see a link to your car.

Yes No Thank
RedDuck Avatar
In reply to # 3891463 by Richard D Richard, I don't see a link to your car.
SORRY! When you click on the link I provided across the top, CLICK on AUCTIONS, the year 2013, HERSHEY, PA and the cars appears on the first page.

Richard

Try this rather than going through the whole process.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/hf13/hershey/lots/r121-1963-austin-healey-sprite-mark-ii/293983 I guess the original link changed when Southebys and RM merged.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-14 10:50 AM by RedDuck.

Yes No Thank
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
Richard D, very funny. Those Sabrinas on the rear of my since deceased Purple Rat were perfectly engineered to hold the gas cap right by the filler when refueling and for steadying a longneck beer on the lefthand side.

Richard P, I have followed you since you first acquired the 63 Sprite. Half the hammer price certainly qualifies as "bought well." It looks great now with those period road lights in front! Are the chrome wire wheels 13" x 4.5" or larger?

Yes No Thank
baloo Avatar
baloo s y
Louisville area, KY, USA   USA
In reply to # 3891445 by Richard D David, she must have been pretty fast with needing two parachute packs strapped to the rear bumper!! grinning smiley

WOw -- if only they were retractable, kinda like James Bond's license plates and bullet shield!

Yes No Thank
RedDuck Avatar
In reply to # 3891595 by littlecars Richard D, very funny. Those Sabrinas on the rear of my since deceased Purple Rat were perfectly engineered to hold the gas cap right by the filler when refueling and for steadying a longneck beer on the lefthand side.

Richard P, I have followed you since you first acquired the 63 Sprite. Half the hammer price certainly qualifies as "bought well." It looks great now with those period road lights in front! Are the chrome wire wheels 13" x 4.5" or larger?

David,
The chrome wire wheels are 13 x 4.5 . The square wheel arch won't allow anything wider. I have 155-80-13 tires and there is only about 1/2" space between the tire and fender lip.
Richard

Yes No Thank
Richard D Avatar
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
Very nice Richard P cool smiley

Yes No Thank
The Bs Knees Avatar
The Bs Knees Patrick McConnell
Sonora, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG Midget MkII "Perserverance"
1966 Volvo Amazon (122) "PaddyWagon"
1970 Volkswagen Beetle "Volksy"
In reply to # 3891394 by littlecars Yours might be the first "Rat," dte948--but I'd like to think mine comes in a close second. The Purple Rat was my attempt to make a safe, driveable Midget on a shoestring. Roller chalkboard paint, leather belts for door straps, a guitar string to open the hood with a wingnut at the end, a pool ball for a shift knob, indoor-outdoor carpet inside, Harley muffler, truck horns activated by a button on the dash, etc. Oh, and a series of small Coke and V8 cans for fuel filters.
Where did you find a bra for your car? I was thinking about heading over to the Moss Motor fest this year but a bra would probably be a good idea for the 3000 mile trip over.

"Quite by accident, I bought a genuinely brilliant little car."
-Jeremy Clarkson ('69 Sprite)

Yes No Thank
baloo Avatar
baloo s y
Louisville area, KY, USA   USA
In reply to # 3891394 by littlecars .... truck horns activated by a button on the dash, etc. Oh, and a series of small Coke and V8 cans for fuel filters.

Need some pix of the truck horns and the fuel filters!!
Are those air-compressor powered horns? Where did you place them?
Coke and V8 cans for fuel filters? Did you put filter elements in them?

Yes No Thank
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3893473 by The Bs Knees
Where did you find a bra for your car? I was thinking about heading over to the Moss Motor fest this year but a bra would probably be a good idea for the 3000 mile trip over.

I actually own two. One came on a car I parted out, the other I purchased on eBay a while back. Both are slightly different but from the same company. I could maybe part with one of them. PM for more info. and pix.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster