Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Overpriced Midgets flooding the marketplace?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
George, in many ways we're cut from the same bolt.

I like exactly the same, other than a close friend or two from time to time (including a few of the local kids; they're interested and talented) my workshop time is my therapy. My driving time is mine alone, although occasionally my son comes along and now wants to learn to drive one. Him, I'll teach.

I like being by myself, though I used to enjoy the close teamwork of a good co-driver on a rallye. No more than that. I never enjoyed the mayhem of the track, but did enjoy autocross very much. I'm old, a bit fat, and suffer a pretty badly damaged spine, so a lot of that is in the past. Still, the solitude of a taut car on a twisty road is the best.

I said all that to say this:

It's not all gone, mate. I created that environment for myself and you can too. Its out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-01 08:02 PM by Sarge101st.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
I know. I was just referring to my race car and practice track.

I live in the country and we have great back road here it’s just my car is down right now and it’s starting to get to me. I’m getting fat and have bad back too, although I’m probably a newer model but with very high miles through some pretty rough country.

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
We really are a lot alike. I’ve only gotten just a chance to read a little of your journal (obsessions #4) and I am completely with you brother.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Dave Rhine
Columbia, SC, USA   USA
A lot of us older LBC owners are probably more alike than we realize...

I don't do the clubs, shows or meetings any more either.
I just like to tinker on & drive my little car, usually alone.
More times than I can count, I've gone out to the shop & just invented some new project to do.

I love to drive the Midget (alone) & it never, ever fails to put a smile on my face!

The little car is definitely my therapy...

smileys with beer

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it until it is! winking smiley

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3884839 by dlrhine
More times than I can count, I've gone out to the shop & just invented some new project to do.

SOLD!!! Come here and fix all of my crap and I promise I won’t disturb you in the least.

Dutch 1960 Avatar
Dutch 1960 Mark Holland
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
For whatever it is worth, I arrived at MG Midgets from early Mazdas (RX2 and RX3) for two main reasons.

The first was pricing. The Mazdas got to the point where a rusty stripped shell might cost $5k to $10k. A decent car at $20k+++. The second is parts availability (which can go hand-in-hand with pricing). To build out that shell, I might spend many hundreds for a bumper or a fender, and $50 to $100 for some small interior piece--when I can find them. It took all the fun out of it.

Beyond the cost and the difficulty of finding parts, the whole thing made it very difficult to want to experiment on builds or try something different with the build--I would be chopping up something worth a ton of money.

The next problem was parking the thing in a parking lot anywhere, where people were inclined to strip the small stuff off of it, and get hundreds of dollars for it all on EBay.

If Midgets get too spendy, I will go some other direction. Maybe build out some sort of early 2 seat T-Bird project, they seem to be coming out of the woodwork a bit, and the garden variety examples are finally getting cheaper.

I am doing the old Jeep thing right now, too, but they are in the same place as the Midgets. Going up and starting to get spendy.

I have found that cheap cars are 95% as much fun as the really good stuff, and 110% of the fun in some aspects of it. I am sure a Porsche 356 or a Mustang GT350 are nice to own and drive, but I can have a lot of car fun by leaving those to others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 03:48 PM by Dutch 1960.

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
How old are these jeeps we’re talking about

baloo Avatar
baloo s y
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
In reply to # 3884482 by Sarge101st ...I'm old, a bit fat, and suffer a pretty badly damaged spine, so a lot of that is in the past.

Sounds like too many PLFs, right?

Richard D Avatar
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
Hello All, first time poster here. Been following threads and reading here for a while.
I'll intro my self further in the appropriate place if there is one (?).
This over priced midget thread brought me out of the wood work as it were!

Here is a midget that sold on flea-bay just a short while back. While it certainly sold for higher that what I am used to seeing around my area, I thought someone ended up with a pretty nice ride for the price. Am I far off base in my thinking?

It looks to have the wheel wells modified and the bonnet trim above the grill looks a bit off line. But if it's mechanics and electrical are as sound as the rest of the car "looks" I'm not sure I can get my 67 in that shape for what the winning bid was. But then it doesn't show a top with it either.

Any way,... Hello and Good to be here! (I hope this link works the way I planned) You can click on the picture and it will open the library up on the car.... cross my fingers

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-MG-Midget-PROFESSIONAL-CALIFORNIA-RESTORATION-lt-2-500-MILES-/323598164140?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=yTROdFBjH7%252FTwf4z6XnYQzsIkkY%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 07:28 PM by Richard D.

Dutch 1960 Avatar
Dutch 1960 Mark Holland
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3884912 by GeorgeOhr How old are these jeeps we’re talking about

The clue is right next to my photo above...

Same story as Midgets. Very nice ones going way up in price. Getting harder to find the cheap halfway reasonably good ones. Parts very easy to find and everything is available, and most parts are being made today. Nice owners. Lots of attention at gas stations. Pretty much just like the MGs.

200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
Richard,

That's a early 67 so its a Midget Mk III, (no backup lights), with even earlier seats, later master cylinders and a non-stock color... their '67 BRG was more of a "grassy" green..

No harm done, as many of these cars have been well updated, backdated, and/or modified to taste without affecting values, and often improving usability.

That is very ambitious price.

hagerty.com has a great valuation tool that runs closer to actual values.

Anyway, welcome... this site is a great place for advice, answers, and new and used parts in the buy-sell forum. I have a 67 and lots of spares. :Let me know if you need anything.

Mike

MG drivers outlook:

. . . . . "Anyone going slower than you drives like a MORON, and anybody driving faster is a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

NickC Avatar
NickC Silver Member Nick Cherau
Fredonia, NY, USA   USA
1971 MG Midget MkIII "Little B"
2004 Honda Civic "Ticket-in-waiting"
I'd be sad if Spridgets became as pricy as say, the big Healy's. Or worse, Alfa Giulietta's , which was my first sports car. Bought in good running condition with a decent paint job for $800 in 1967. You just don't see either of those cars out cruising around anymore. They're too valuable. That's no fun. And believe me the Giulietta was big fun. I used to road race a Cobra, the original Shelby conversion AC Ace, on a regular basis during my daily commute. He'd always leave me after 120 mph but it was always fun and I'd show up at work with a big grin on my face. I got a warning from a Mass. statie one time for rounding the Concord rotary on Rt. 2 doing 85. I was surprised to hear the limit was 25. eye popping smiley The Alfa cornered as if it was on rails. Fantastic car, and the statie thought so too which is why I got a warning instead of a ticket.

Nick Cherau
Fredonia, NY
1971 Midget MkIII "Little B"
2004 Honda Civic Si Hatchback "200K and still a blast"

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Greeting Richard,

It’s always cheaper to buy one of these done.

Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Nick

Funny you mention Big Healeys.

The first year I had the MGB, the Healey mob had their big national conclave and prayer meeting (I'm kidding!) in Gettysburg, so I hopped in the B, camera in hand, to grab some pictures of what turned out to be some beautiful cars.

It was the evening of the day they had taken a driving tour and, as I pulled up in my low-brow last-year-of-production rubber-bumper survivor there was a guy loading up his Big Healey, all by himself. Apparently it had broken (possibly severely; I didn't ask) and just gotten towed in many hours after the rest of the field had returned and social intercourse was proceeding apace without benefit of him or his (as I understood it) rather angry wife who was packing her trash in the hotel room. He just sadly looked at my B and said, "I used to have one of those. Drove it everywhere. God how I miss that car right now; those days were fun."

In reply to # 3884952 by baloo Sounds like too many PLFs, right?

They tell you the proper ones don't do you, its the bad ones; too much absorbed by the fourth point of contact. Grin!

baloo Avatar
baloo s y
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
In reply to # 3885037 by Sarge101st
In reply to # 3884952 by baloo Sounds like too many PLFs, right?

They tell you the proper ones don't do you, its the bad ones; too much absorbed by the fourth point of contact. Grin!

Hah - had plenty of 3 pointers that were not good: feet, knees, head!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster