Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Overpriced Midgets flooding the marketplace?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
It's been a while since we as a group commiserated on the state of our cars' value (the effect of televised auctions). Am I wrong to think that over $19k for an RWA Midget is wholly out of line with reality? I see all sorts of things that make this less attractive in my eye. The grille is all black, without any chrome trim in the center. The horn button has an MG badge appliqué on it and what are those little charms on the speaker grille? The paint is too glossy and out of character with a period-correct restoration. While I love any Midget with the 5spd conversion and biscuit interior am I out of line with thinking this is overpriced?

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=132928460508&category=31859&pm=1&ds=0&t=1548382845000&ver=0

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Wow. Nice car, but $20 grand?! And, no shots of the boot or engine. The description says that you can drive it out for a lot less than it cost to build. We all know that. We'll never get out of our car what we put into them. Most of us will never make money flipping Midgets! LOL.

Homerr Avatar
Homerr Jeff Kogut
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
1966 MG Midget MkII "Sold!"
1970 MG Midget MkIII "Midget On A Spit"
1971 MG Midget MkIII "The Donor"
1973 Triumph TR6    & more
Park Place? Over-priced shiny showroom known around here for selling mostly higher end European stuff.

I wouldn't get too bothered by them, they are probably selling it on consignment and want 40%+ profit.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, IA, USA   USA
One may "ask" anything and it helps to drive a market that may or may not exist. Don't "buy" into used car dealers asking nor what you see on the Auction circuit. There is more going on than is apparent.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail PLEASE for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match most retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
Lets not be too harsh here. Butch Bockmeier and Dave Bingham are enthusiasts, and yes, their dealership sells a lot of high-end cars, new and used.

And yes, they are among Barrett-Jackson's biggest consignors / buyers.

One of their customers will find this to be a fun toy for sunny summer days. If not, the price will get more reasonable.

Hagerty says $15,700 for a #1 concours car, and $8,800 for #2 "excellent". This car may fall in somewhere in between... all the quirks mentioned are easily addressed.

At least they didn't list it as an MG Midget Resto-Mod (which it kinda is).

I hope they get all the money... these values need to go up !

MG drivers outlook:

. . . . . "Anyone going slower than you drives like a MORON, and anybody driving faster is a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

1960healey Avatar
1960healey Larry Sanata
Delaware, OH, USA   USA
I think it's terrific that someone is willing to pay such a hefty price for a Midget. Like many of you, I think the value of MGs is way too low. As the recent purchaser of a very high-priced MGA told North American Classic MG magazine, "What I've been chasing all along is that analog kind of experience that I had a taste of when I was messing around with a 1961 MGA 17 years ago."

Larry Sanata
Publisher
North American Classic MG magazine

740-917-5759
classicmgmagazine@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/ClassicMGMagazine

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Dealers have a right to put top prices out there, for cars that might have been taken in on consignment, but they remain for sale for months, sometimes years! There was a dealer (who I won't name) locally in Middle Tennessee that listed two late 1500 Midgets in excellent driver but not concours condition. I seem to recall they both remained on his lot for close to 11 months. Before that, they were listed on Craigslist by private sellers and didn't move. I got into LBC because my enjoyment of Pontiac Firebirds and Buick Skylarks was in decline due to the expense of running them. Spridgets on eBay sorted by starting price will bring up dozens of them. They remain on for many, many months. Don't think this is a wintertime phenomenon either.

200mph Avatar
Asking and selling prices may be pretty far apart. Thats okay . . . If you don't ask, the answer is ALWAYS "No".

MG drivers outlook:

. . . . . "Anyone going slower than you drives like a MORON, and anybody driving faster is a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
It's got paint that shines and is resale Red. Pricewise i think this one needs the 1 removed from the asking price. $9k for a Midget is asking for an awful lot of Money. But to ask $20 large.
this isn't a BE which adds a whole lot of $ just for the "Cute" effect or should I say the "What is it?" Or Gen X's saying your car is really cool!!!. I'm not sure Midget Owners hear those comments.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Before I had stripped and did a complete resto on my '61 I had several kids stop and say how much they liked the car. Took it in stride until a gentleman my age (60+) went out of his way at the gas station to complement me on what a beautiful machine I had. Made me feel really proud! So, I guess the excess of time and money invested is just a way of getting our rocks off having these unique cars.

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Young males (teens and 20s) see my Midget and laugh out loud. (I don’t think in a good way) Women ignore it competely. A Bugeye here the girls would like but the guys would laugh even more. Chicks dug my TR6 so much I had to sell it; don’t need to be in any more trouble with the wife than I already am.

Funny how the same guy in two different but similar cars experiences two completely different responses.

dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Dave Rhine
Columbia, SC, USA   USA
That car's worth what someone will pay for it, plain & simple.
But to me, it's worth maybe $5-6k if it's in good condition.
IMO, that's a big bucks presentation for a low bucks car & sometimes that's all it takes!
I hope they get that price, I'd love to see the price of these little cars escalate thumbs up

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it until it is! winking smiley

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3882760 by dlrhine
I hope they get that price, I'd love to see the price of these little cars escalate thumbs up

Thatll suck the fun right out of it.

200mph Avatar
In reply to # 3882761 by GeorgeOhr That'll suck the fun right out of it.

Not at all, quite the contrary. A moderate rise in value may encourage more restorations or project car completions, as seems to have happened with MGB's.

Right now, who would dump $10,000 (or more, much more) in parts and labor into a Midget, hoping to wind up with a $5,000 increase in value (say, from a Hagerty #3.5 to a #2) ???

And as for the younger set . . .

My 19 year old enjoys driving his Midget every bit as much as I enjoy mine. It still puzzles him that the Midget gets him more positive comments and attention than his M4 does !

MG drivers outlook:

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
You're hanging around with the wrong kind of women George. smiling smiley

Last September I was driving home from Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin after running my Bugeye at Road America at the Sprite 60th Anniversary party. I haul the Bugeye on an open trailer and had to stop for gas in a Chicago suburb. While at the pumps I had a couple of women admiring the car. One in particular was really enamored with the car. She had on the shortest skirt I have ever seen in my life, full blown make-up, and was with someone who was obviously in charge (if you know what I mean). She was rubbing herself all over the car and asked if she could have her picture taken with the car. Of course I said yes. Then she asked if she could sit in the driver's seat for a photo. I said yes. She climbed into the car and when she tried to sit down she found out how narrow the seat is. She said "I don't know if my butt will fit in this seat". I explained it was tight to keep you in place when racing. She responded "All you guys like it tight".

In reply to # 3882739 by GeorgeOhr Young males (teens and 20s) see my Midget and laugh out loud. (I don’t think in a good way) Women ignore it competely. A Bugeye here the girls would like but the guys would laugh even more. Chicks dug my TR6 so much I had to sell it; don’t need to be in any more trouble with the wife than I already am.

Funny how the same guy in two different but similar cars experiences two completely different responses.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster