Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Overpriced Midgets flooding the marketplace?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sean253 Avatar
sean253 Sean Heupel
Salem, OR, USA   USA
I think $12k for a fully restored and show quality Midget makes sense and $9k for a decent restoration, but any more is someone getting greedy, after eating paint chips. Don't get me wrong, some people said they taste sweet, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Dave Rhine
Columbia, SC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3887958 by littlecars Still, this is "the People's Ferrari"

Fiat owners would disagree

Back in the day...me Granny & my baby Ferrari...

smileys with beer

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it until it is! winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-08 05:21 PM by dlrhine.

Attachments:
Fiat 850 & Granny.jpg    29 KB
Fiat 850 & Granny.jpg

Richard D Avatar
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
Cool picture
cool smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
Brian and George,

Your points are quite valid, and are very well made. A good illustration is the first-gen Ford Mustang. Millions were made, so they are not at all rare... they are desirable, and yes, as values went up, completely stock ones demanded a premium. Survivors are worth more than modified cars.

Like MG's, a whole cottage industry has sprung up to make parts for them. Most are still reasonably priced because the supply of cars is still strong.

My wife has a 66 Mustang V8 convertible, a stock, NOS parts restoration, with only a modern stereo, disc brakes and radial tires as "improvements". Wouldn't change another thing on it.

My 67 MGB is factory stock (plus a snorty exhaust), and I love driving it... I hop in that car and I'm 18 again !

My Spridgets are modified, 'cause its fun to do, and I'm not concerned about devaluing them. I used to race Spridgets, so I have pretty good idea of what they are capable of, and what improvements are worthwhile for road use. The good thing is, there are plenty of Midgets to go around, quite reasonably priced, so you can take and make one your own.

And I agree with you... when resto-mod Midgets start rolling up on the block at Barrett-Jackson, we're all in trouble... Maybe then we will have to turn to Miatas... early ones are now getting to the bottom of their depreciation curve.

I love them all, hope you do, too.

MG drivers outlook:

. . . . . "Anyone going slower than you drives like a MORON, and anybody driving faster is a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-08 05:40 PM by 200mph.

Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Mike, make no mistake but I love mine. I drive them every day its possible so to do, and I never get tired of them. I don't know of another type of car that would hold my affections as long as Spridgets and Spits have, though I've owned a couple very good contenders (unfortunately my old BMW 2002 I owned in Germany is today a pretty rarefied collectable).

I'm with you, in that mine are all three survivors (though not in the AACA mantra of "originality or nothing" whether resto or survivor). They all sport the workable modifications that owners have made over the years as part of their history, and my term as caretaker sees them maintained, some bodges fixed, and my own stamp put on them then driven enthusiastically. They are living breathing machines.

A Miata though? Nah, not this kid...

Grin!

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In my market Miatas are starting to climb and Mustang coupes are approaching 20k.

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3888176 by 200mph

And I agree with you... when resto-mod Midgets start rolling up on the block at Barrett-Jackson, we're all in trouble...

Glad to hear you say that. That’s the time to have the camera man point in another direction and y’all about something else. winking smiley

Like I said; It’s good to have s guy like you around.
smiling smiley

Dutch 1960 Avatar
Dutch 1960 Mark Holland
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
. Maybe then we will have to turn to Miatas... early ones are now getting to the bottom of their depreciation curve.

[/quote]

First gen Miatas are starting to go up. Maybe people can do those for concours/Barrett-Jackson, and leave us to still pull cheap Midgets out of nooks and crannies.

Richard D Avatar
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3888284 by Dutch 1960 . Maybe then we will have to turn to Miatas... early ones are now getting to the bottom of their depreciation curve.

First gen Miatas are starting to go up. Maybe people can do those for concours/Barrett-Jackson, and leave us to still pull cheap Midgets out of nooks and crannies.
[/quote]
Miata, The only sports car with ovaries

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
They are worth whatever the hammer price decides they are worth. Here is a plot of what they are selling for.

I would love to have a similar plot of what we are spending to restore them.

Pete

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3888839 by NOHOME
I would love to have a similar plot of what we are spending to restore them.

Pete

BITE YOUR TONGUE YOU DEVIL !!!!!

smiling smiley

MGFC Kristoffer O
Orange, NSW, Australia   AUS
Take a gander at the asking price over here in Australia

Link

Richard D Avatar
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
I like the listing you posted, Richard. $5000 is probably all the money for that car. The seller doesn't really know the intricacies of the Midget though. In his listing he says the front brakes are grabbing because the "proportioning valve (wasn't) installed for the disc brake conversion." Disc brakes would already be on that year car. Also, I pity the fool who goes to the trouble of sourcing a Datsun transmission to throw in their Spridget, only to gain the syncho 1st gear. Would've waited for a 5 spd so I could hop on the interstate without whining.

HMDIV Avatar
HMDIV Harry Dent
Brooklyn, NY, USA   USA
coming late to the thread but I have some thoughts as a local youth in the midget forum. I have to first defend the big city hipsters, my neighborhood is full of incredibly skilled hands-on people who actually do make stuff (not apps). If you have the passion, you find a way to make it work. My friend and I pulled the engine at the end of my street (and drank delicious beer brewed right next door)! My neighbor welds giant sheets of metal for a famous sculptor and there are some pretty renowned custom motorcycle shops around here. I think the heartland vs city argument is nonsense built to divide us! Solidarity is how we keep the car hobby strong. While the "slammed/stanced" scene isn't my cup of tea, there were plenty of ugly/bad custom cars in the 50's and 60's not everyone was as good as Barris.

The "hipsters" everyone complains about on TV are just wealthy kids who are getting wealthier thanks to venture capitalists and businesses that don't actually make any money! Those are the same people who get their meals delivered in box because their parents didn't teach them how to make a dang pot roast. To their credit, their parents spent too much time trying to get them into college so they could get a "good job" and more "vocational" hobbies tended to be frowned upon. My parents thought I was going to die a penniless artist but I've eeked out a living doing what I love with the skills I mostly picked up on my own. The only way you could use the shop at my school was for a class called "stagecraft" where you built sets for the plays, always thought it was insane that we didn't have a shop or home ec class.

The midget isn't really a car for THEM is it? its is the peoples Ferrari and thank god for that. I sunk more money than my car was worth within a month of owning it but I don't care because driving it makes me happy! Some things just shouldn't be about money. Allot of the appeal of the midget is how thrifty they are! Most people don't know, I went to a bosses fancy party in the Hamptons last summer, the valets put it in right in front of a lambo and a g-wagon I've literally had a women jump into it at a stoplight and ask "where are we headed?". Never seen a woman jump in a strangers Ferrari without first agreeing on a price. tongue sticking out smiley

There is a definitely an uptick in "BAT ready" spridgets on the market that have been totally restored/upgraded with the full moss catalog thrown at it, while some of the prices are impressive I don't see them becoming unobtainable because it was always meant to be the bottom of the market as far as traditional sports cars go. Hopefully there will always be enthusiasts trading "honest" project/drivers cars. After all it was meant to be a car that "a chap could keep in his bike shed"

as far as the collector market goes, just look at cars that are about 35-ish years old, thats what will be hot next. Younger folks that do manage to make some disposable income and are buying their first classic are going to get something they remember from their childhood. Whale-tail and 90's Porsches, GTIs, E30 M3, Supras, (squarebody pickups!) etc. These cars are also much more familiar to younger people as cars, the radio, hvac, driving habits are still pretty modern and they are somewhat safe. Cars from the 1960's and older's are a bit of a mystery, the idea of actually owning something as spartan and temperamental as a midget might not appeal to someone who may have never had a car that didn't have an AC. I just picked up a 91 Miata, I think they will go up in value, especially if they are stock.

I am more curious about which cars we are going to start seeing a decline from. I think allot of the American iron from the 50's is overvalued due to nostalgia. I also think that the pre-war luxury car market is quaking in its boots a bit as the young bazillionairs start to drive up the prices of stuff from the later half of the 20th century instead of Delages and Dussenbergs.

Rant done, here are some pictures from work.

Attachments:
20190208_074939.jpg    41.7 KB
20190208_074939.jpg

20190208_172718.jpg    40.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster