Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Diane Avatar
Diane Diane Linsell
melbourne, victoria, Australia   AUS
I have a 1968 MG Midget 1275 - at idle and 800rpm my oil gauge reads 80 lbs and engine warm. I am using Penrite classic medium oil, if I use a light oil will that bring the oil pressure down? with outside temperature at 112 degrees F.
Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
use 20/50 weight oil , the higher the oil pressure the better, you seem to have a good engine at 80 lbs and 112f

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Yes, A series engines are supposed to run higher oil pressure than is common. if you wish, lower viscosity oil wouldn't hurt you but may be more prone to leak or have it consumed.

Kurt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Platinum Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
A series engines are supposed to run higher oil pressure than is common.

Kurt, can you explain/elaborate?

Dick

In reply to # 3890659 by S1 Elan Yes, A series engines are supposed to run higher oil pressure than is common. if you wish, lower viscosity oil wouldn't hurt you but may be more prone to leak or have it consumed.

Kurt

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Diane, Guys, seems like 800rpm and warm engine with 80psi is a bit much. What is the PSI at 3000rpm? Might check your oil pressure gauge against another oil pressure gauge. Most owners desire more psi for their cars but you have the opposite. A bit more background on the car would be helpful.

Diane, I see that you put the year of our car in the text but it would be super for everyone if you would put the car year into your profile so the year would automatically show on every post you make. Takes but a moment and you're done with it.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 3890883 by dickmoritz A series engines are supposed to run higher oil pressure than is common.

Dick

In reply to # 3890659 by S1 Elan Yes, A series engines are supposed to run higher oil pressure than is common. if you wish, lower viscosity oil wouldn't hurt you but may be more prone to leak or have it consumed.

Kurt

Yes, I should have been clearer. When I was growing up around US vehicles and British Vehicles the British vehicles always ran far higher oil pressures. Maybe the American vehicles were just more worn!winking smiley

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Platinum Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
Thanks, Kurt. I misunderstood your original post and thought you were suggesting that A series engines ran higher oil pressure than B series engines.

My experience agrees with yours, that older American cars ran lower oil pressure than British cars, perhaps because most all were six or eight cylinders, thus having more rod and main journals where oil/pressure could escape...

Dick

In reply to # 3892000 by S1 Elan
In reply to # 3890883 by dickmoritz A series engines are supposed to run higher oil pressure than is common.

Dick

Kurt

Yes, I should have been clearer. When I was growing up around US vehicles and British Vehicles the British vehicles always ran far higher oil pressures. Maybe the American vehicles were just more worn!winking smiley

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster