Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dogeddie Avatar
dogeddie Silver Member Andy L
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
I am ordering a new oil pan gasket for a 1975 Midget. While I am under there, is there anything else I should order, check, or replace?

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-03 12:19 PM by dogeddie.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jmac Avatar
jmac Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1971 MG Midget "Joy Ride"
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
If there is nothing in the oil pan like thrust washers that should be good based on the limited information you gave us.

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

Member Services:
Midget/Spitfire 1500 engine rebuilding.
dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
I'm guessing that would be a bad thing.
How about drain the oil first? eye popping smiley
I just tend to plow into a job, then get done and say "bah, why didn't I take care of XXXXX while I was in there". So that was all. Thanks for the help.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
I'd replace the front and rear seals as well. use the newer neoprene ones.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3885732 by Chas 906 I'd replace the front and rear seals as well. use the newer neoprene ones.

Thanks Chuck. Can you be more specific? I am working toward the title of "car guru" - but I still have quite a way to go yet...confused smiley Thanks

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Have you got a Moss catalog Andy? If your dropping the pan you should of course change the gasket seal but also there are two usually cork seals that go in the front and the back of the pan. The beoprene seals are better than the cork. Makes a better seal. These cars are notorious for oil leaks from that area.

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
I do have a catalog, and I will check it out - thanks again!

73midget Avatar
73midget Chris Edwards
Garland, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 3885755 by Chas 906 Have you got a Moss catalog Andy? If your dropping the pan you should of course change the gasket seal but also there are two usually cork seals that go in the front and the back of the pan. The beoprene seals are better than the cork. Makes a better seal. These cars are notorious for oil leaks from that area.

Wrong engine. on the A series engine, there are 2 cork seals where the crankshaft meets the oil pan. on the 1500 triumph engine which is in his 1975 model, there aren't.

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3885794 by 73midget
In reply to # 3885755 by Chas 906 Have you got a Moss catalog Andy? If your dropping the pan you should of course change the gasket seal but also there are two usually cork seals that go in the front and the back of the pan. The beoprene seals are better than the cork. Makes a better seal. These cars are notorious for oil leaks from that area.

Wrong engine. on the A series engine, there are 2 cork seals where the crankshaft meets the oil pan. on the 1500 triumph engine which is in his 1975 model, there aren't.

Thanks - glad i didn't start looking yet!

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Chuck was confused on which engine. But....he's right about the end seals for the A series engine. You can get neoprene seals that work better than the cork seals. Don't know about the Triumph engine.

In reply to # 3885794 by 73midget

73midget Avatar
73midget Chris Edwards
Garland, TX, USA   USA
comparing the two oil pans: For all the A series engines, the crankshaft mains actually extend below the end of the engine block, and the oil pan has a semicircular cut out that seals against the main caps, not the block. That's where the two cork or neoprene seals go. The triumph engine block is flat at the bottom as the mains are above the bottom face of the block. So the top of the triumph oil pan is flat and only needs a simple gasket.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Ya, sorry about that. I went looking for the 1500 engine layout in Moss and couldn't find them. Now I know why.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Probably doesn't leak either!

73midget Avatar
73midget Chris Edwards
Garland, TX, USA   USA
at least not at the same places!

dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Dave Rhine
Columbia, SC, USA   USA
Andy, here's some good reading for you...

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,1674576

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it until it is! winking smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster