Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

new swiftune camshaft too long!! must be an adapter for oil pump??

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gadams Silver Member Gerry Adams
Lincoln, Nebraska, USA   USA
Hi
i’m sure Hap could help me here.
putting a new Swiftune camshaft with slot end into bored 948cc block using 1275 3-bolt oil pump.
Oil pump tab aligned and placed correctly into slot of Camshaft.
But Camshaft is off center about 1/3 inch on all bearing surfaces, & sump gear alignment plus it sticks out in front with 1/3 bearing surface in open space.
I could sure use a big spacer under the oil pump!! Is there one for sale? i already know the back plate will need modification but i hope to use the ribbed tranny anyway.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Are you absolutely sure the pump is engaged?

George
you are right. somehow it popped back out. i’m erasing the post if possible!
The strangest things happen...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-27 06:17 PM by gadams.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Glad you fixed it.

Next step woulda’ been send the block to the machine shop to get it stretched.
smiling smiley

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Curiosity, what 3 bolt 1275 oil pump are you speaking of????? 1275 inline engine oil pumps are either 4, or 2 bolts, not 3, except for the now non existing Cooper S pump. I only use pin drive cams in 948s and try to re-use the OEM style pumps. However I am all ears if you know of some combo I don't.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
bugeyebob Avatar
bugeyebob Bob B
northern catskills, NY, USA   USA
Yes, with some 948 pump/cam drive combinations you need to install a 6mm spacer. Check with Minimania or ATP.

Attachments:
IMG_20190128_102506778.jpg    34.4 KB
IMG_20190128_102506778.jpg

hello Speedracer, here is the backside of the new 3-bolt oil pump-a perfect fit to new slot cam. i do have new and old pin oil pumps as well and old cams are pin not slot.
trouble is i cannot remember now where i bought it, darn!
Maybe APT? they were out of cams and billets for supercharging Midget

Attachments:
435472DB-D155-46BA-A5E9-C9D15BE4508E.jpeg    42.7 KB
435472DB-D155-46BA-A5E9-C9D15BE4508E.jpeg

Bugeye bob
that is exactly what i thought i needed. So i am going to store away this info if such a future problems arises that is not due to my mysterious errors.
thanks

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3881938 by gadams hello Speedracer, here is the backside of the new 3-bolt oil pump-a perfect fit to new slot cam. i do have new and old pin oil pumps as well and old cams are pin not slot.
trouble is i cannot remember now where i bought it, darn!
Maybe APT? they were out of cams and billets for supercharging Midget

OK, that is a different pump, than what most are selling. Have you tried to fit your early back plate yet. I sell a ton of APT cams and lifter, so David are good friend and we talk often, when I got new pin drive pump few years ago, David talk to me about how to make them work by boring out the hole on the early backplate and then using a 1275 oi pump cover, the problem with that is it interferes with the front side of the flywheel. The spacer has something to do with the NLA Cooper S oi pumps. There is a lot confusion here, mostly due to the fact no one builds 948s anymore, in 20 years at the shop I bult maybe 5 948s, while I have built hundreds of 1275s. The pin drive pump they offer for years did not fit the inline engines, too big of a OD.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
bugeyebob Avatar
bugeyebob Bob B
northern catskills, NY, USA   USA
I I remember correctly, I used a spider drive pump to match up to a Elgin race cam I used at one point. That combination required the spacer. The other length situation that one used to run into was when using a Cooper S pin drive pump on a 948; that required a different length shaft.

Sprite1956 Roger Parry-Jones
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Hap,

Isn't the 1275 about 1/4" longer than the 948? Wouldn't this would be an issue with any spider or slot drive camshaft?

Roger

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster