AutoShrine Sponsor

New steering rack recommendations
  This topic is about my 1965 MG Midget
mrmg1965 Avatar
mrmg1965 Gold Member Steve Strublic
Peoria, AZ, USA   USA
1965 MG Midget "Gidget"
2011 Mini Cooper S "Nigel Whitworth"
I can't seem to stop the leak in my steering rack, and I think it's time to admit defeat and replace it. It leaks from the pinion for the steering shaft. If I'm going to remove it, I"m gonna put back something that I don't have to take out again.

Having no experience with replacement (new/remanufactured) racks, what do you all recommend? Is finding a good used one better than buying new?

Thanks,

Steve

http://midget.strublic.net

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
How much oil did you put in it? I don't believe the oil level should be high enough to leak there.

Maybe you should lube it with corn head grease instead. Others have reported that it works great.

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Special-Purpose-Corn-Head-Gun-Grease-AN102562.html

https://binged.it/2TTns63

In reply to # 3909321 by mrmg1965 I can't seem to stop the leak in my steering rack, and I think it's time to admit defeat and replace it. It leaks from the pinion for the steering shaft. If I'm going to remove it, I"m gonna put back something that I don't have to take out again.

Having no experience with replacement (new/remanufactured) racks, what do you all recommend? Is finding a good used one better than buying new?

Thanks,

Steve

Yes No Thank
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Replace the shaft seal MOSS Part # 120-040 Couple of bucks. ?????smileys with beer

In reply to # 3909321 by mrmg1965 I can't seem to stop the leak in my steering rack, and I think it's time to admit defeat and replace it. It leaks from the pinion for the steering shaft. If I'm going to remove it, I"m gonna put back something that I don't have to take out again.

Thanks,

Steve

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
66Sprite Avatar
66Sprite David R
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
I believe another trick is to replace the felt washer around the pinion with a lip seal, the plastic cap then fits on top of this. I have purchased but not yet installed one. The markings on it suggest 1" od, 5/8" id, and 3/16" high. The Sprite parts vendor I got it from suggested using a little silastic to hold it in position.

Yes No Thank
mrmg1965 Avatar
Peoria, AZ, USA   USA
1965 MG Midget "Gidget"
Rick, I put in the recommended 10oz of 10w140 oil. I am sure most of it if not all has leaked out by now. it's annoying--my oil pan doesn't leak, but my steering rack does!

Joe, I replaced that seal, to no avail. The cap was snug against the pinion box. I know it's leaking there; I can see the oil. Boots are dry outside. Leak is not from the bottom.

David, I then did what you suggested and replaced it with a seal just like you specified... but I can't seem to find the right combo that works. Again, the cap is snug against the box.

Having spent so long getting her on the road, I am tired and not ready to tilt at another windmill--hence my thinking of taking the easy road and replacing it. They don't seem to be too expensive through Moss ($205 + shipping), but I could do better I am sure if I hunt a bit. And I don't know the quality of the unit (rebuilt?).

Steve

Yes No Thank
1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Steve, check the links Rick gave. That corn head grease looks pretty great. I think I'll try it next time I lube the rack. My local dealer has it - $4 and change for a cartridge.. Didn't think John Deere had anything that cheap!
(and I found out its not made from the head of corn, but made for the head of a corn combine.cool smiley )

Yes No Thank
oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
YUP: BIG, BIG, BIG "Can of Worms" controversy on this subject. 30+ years in this business and I have NEVER used oil in the racks, just good quality grease. SOOOOO> Probably going to take some SHOTS for that statement, but it is your car, do as you like. Cheers.smileys with beer

In reply to # 3909440 by mrmg1965 Rick, I put in the recommended 10oz of 10w140 oil. I am sure most of it if not all has leaked out by now. it's annoying--my oil pan doesn't leak, but my steering rack does!

Joe, I replaced that seal, to no avail. The cap was snug against the pinion box. I know it's leaking there; I can see the oil. Boots are dry outside. Leak is not from the bottom.

David, I then did what you suggested and replaced it with a seal just like you specified... but I can't seem to find the right combo that works. Again, the cap is snug against the box.

Having spent so long getting her on the road, I am tired and not ready to tilt at another windmill--hence my thinking of taking the easy road and replacing it. They don't seem to be too expensive through Moss ($205 + shipping), but I could do better I am sure if I hunt a bit. And I don't know the quality of the unit (rebuilt?).

Steve

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
mrmg1965 Avatar
Peoria, AZ, USA   USA
1965 MG Midget "Gidget"
Joe,

I used grease in my steering rack for a long time. When I got the car back on the road, I thought I’d try to do it “by the book “. Looks like it didn’t work out for me. :-) I think that as long as the rack is properly lubricated, it doesn’t matter too much. I will check out the links Rick provided. I’d rather not spend the money if I didn’t have to, but I also don’t want to spend a lot of time messing around. I just want to drive, and drive safe.

Thanks all,

Yes No Thank
oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
10-4

In reply to # 3909471 by mrmg1965 Joe,

I used grease in my steering rack for a long time. When I got the car back on the road, I thought I’d try to do it “by the book “. Looks like it didn’t work out for me. :-) I think that as long as the rack is properly lubricated, it doesn’t matter too much. I will check out the links Rick provided. I’d rather not spend the money if I didn’t have to, but I also don’t want to spend a lot of time messing around. I just want to drive, and drive safe.

Thanks all,

Sir Henry Royce

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
lewmac Avatar
lewmac Silver Member Lew McAllan
Hawthorn Woods, IL, USA   USA
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Buggy"
1968 Austin-Healey Sprite "Bluey"
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
I have two available on eBay as I am converting both of my Sprites to RHD for shipment to Australia.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303091130071 - this one has new boots, is cleaned up, center painted, ready to install.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303091130498 - this one has good boots (not new), is in cleaned conditioned, ready to install.

Cheers
Lew

Yes No Thank
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I believe that if you buy one of the new cheap racks that they don't have a grease zerk on them. No problem with them leaking oil out if you can't get any in!

BTW, where does the 10 oz of oil recommendation come from. Seems excessive.

Kurt

Yes No Thank
mrmg1965 Avatar
Peoria, AZ, USA   USA
1965 MG Midget "Gidget"
Kurt,

Straight from Haynes.

Steve

Attachments:
DF0AFA10-55BC-4F68-9E67-BDC114697079.jpeg    70.8 KB
DF0AFA10-55BC-4F68-9E67-BDC114697079.jpeg

Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
10 ounces of oil seems like an awful lot to me too. I've had steering racks disassembled before and it doesn't seem like there is 10 ounces of open space in a rack, unless you count the inside of the boots on each end.

This is just my opinion, but as a guy who made his living as an automotive tech writer for many years I would take anything you find in a Haynes manual with a huge grain of salt. smiling smiley

Edit: I just checked my factory manual and it also says 10 ounces. I still think it's too much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-16 10:10 AM by refisk.

Yes No Thank
mrmg1965 Avatar
Peoria, AZ, USA   USA
1965 MG Midget "Gidget"
Well, whoever wrote the manual got that number from somewhere... smiling smiley

I am going to remove the rack, clean out the oil (seeing how much is left) and grease with that corn grease. I think that’s a better and longer lasting option. I’m overdue to change all fluids at 1250 mi after restore-complete, so it’s good timing to pull the radiator and not have to fight so hard.

Steve

Yes No Thank
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
The Bentley manual say to fill a "gun" with the oil and give it "10 strokes". Presumably, there was a standard oil/grease gun supplied to dealers which made that statement make sense, but today who knows what quantity each stroke of a random one would put out.

Note, though, that the best way to know how much to put into a rack is to hold it vertically in a vise (off of the car), remove the boot at the top, and work the rack back and forth as you feed it oil. It is full when no more will go in. Put the boot back on. Done. If you overfilled it, some will leak out at the pinion during use, until it finds its own natural level.

Since the pinion is pretty much at the top, it can't leak from there below a certain point. As long as it isn't leaking from the boots, the remaining oil should do the job as intended.

N

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster