Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

zabond Russell Meehan
Neerim East, victoria, Australia   AUS
1966 MG Midget "Bridget"
I'd also be concerned with the rust pitting on the seating surface where the pipe olive seals, looks like a refurbished tank
Russ

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
If you have to tap it... just get a cheap tap from amazon. I think it is a 3/8 -19 bspp 55 degree thread. Probably about $10.

jonnysg Avatar
jonnysg Jon Underbakke
Durham, ON, Canada   CAN
Thanks David will do.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
Jon- If you do wind up tapping it out, use the old trick of filling the flutes of the tap with clean wheel bearing grease, the swarf will embed itself into the grease and come out with the tap. Used to use this method with VW heads that stripped out the plug holes so that we could put helicoils in without pulling the heads.

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

jonnysg Avatar
jonnysg Jon Underbakke
Durham, ON, Canada   CAN
Thanks Mark, it's knowledge like yours that makes this forum so invaluable. Great tip.
Jon

hoggie Avatar
hoggie Mike Hogan
Oklahoma City, OK, USA   USA
Another thing to consider. The welder had to see that splatter and didn't take any precautions on the fitting before he started welding. Question is, what else is messed up for lack of attention. Will you have any leaks at the seam in a few years? Best to get another tank and have Moss send that one back to the source.

jonnysg Avatar
jonnysg Jon Underbakke
Durham, ON, Canada   CAN
Very true Mike that does concern me, the edge of this tank isn't straight, there is weld splatter all over it, the paint or coating is poorly done and as you can see from the pictures there is already rust inside it. I haven't heard back from my Moss rep yet but I'm expecting them to to replace this Chinese piece of junk.
Jon

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Jon, don't mess with it send it back! Like mentioned before, you don't know what else could be wrong with it. Sometimes our suppliers get a bum part from the vendor, it's in their court from that point!

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

jonnysg Avatar
jonnysg Jon Underbakke
Durham, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi Larry, it's packed up and ready to go back, I'm just waiting to hear from my distributor that it's been okayed. He then has to drive to the border to pick it up then it's a 5 hour return drive for me to his place, what a pain in the butt.
Jon

jonnysg Avatar
jonnysg Jon Underbakke
Durham, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi Larry, it's packed up and ready to go back, I'm just waiting to hear from my distributor that it's been okayed. He then has to drive to the border to pick it up then it's a 5 hour return drive for me to his place, what a pain in the butt.
Jon

jonnysg Avatar
jonnysg Jon Underbakke
Durham, ON, Canada   CAN
So it's been almost a month since I purchased this nearly $300cdn tank from Moss. Shortly after receiving it I tried installing the fuel line fitting only to find weld splatter and rust making it impossible to use. I contacted my local Moss distributor within a couple of days and sent him pictures and a video of the issue. I'm still sitting here waiting and Moss hasn't said or done anything!!!!! I contact my rep every Friday and Moss gives the lamest excuses, first it was "oh we sent the pictures to our tech department", then it was "we're checking both our warehouses to see if any other tanks are bad". I don't give a crap if other tanks are as bad as this one, I want a replacement or a refund! I can't afford to write this off and go to another source for one. They won't even take responsibility for the crap workmanship on this one. I'm so pissed off that if I
don't hear some positive news today from Moss I'm going to spend the $25 and file a claim in Small Claims Court here in Ontario. Sorry for ranting everyone but I needed to vent.
Jon

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Spectra is a Canadian company. Im sure there are canadian vendors that sell their tanks. Return the Moss tank and buy a Spectra tank.

jonnysg Avatar
jonnysg Jon Underbakke
Durham, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi Trevor, I would return it if I could, so far they won't even admit there's anything wrong with it. I don't understand it. I'll look into Spectra, thanks.
Jon

Richard D Avatar
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
I hope you get everything worked out to your satisfaction. I have Moss in my parts resource reference file. If this representative of their customer service I am not sure I want to deal with them.

jonnysg Avatar
jonnysg Jon Underbakke
Durham, ON, Canada   CAN
Thanks Richard.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster