Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jonnysg Avatar
jonnysg Jon Underbakke
Durham, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi again, I purchased a new gas tank from Moss motors and there appears to be weld splatter in the fuel line output hole so my fitting won't seat properly. I emailed Moss a few days ago asking for advice and haven't heard a thing so here I am. I can borrow a thread restoring/ tap and die kit from a local store but I don't want to destroy this thing, it wasn't cheap. So should I try re tapping it? Hope someone has faced something similar.
Thanks
Jon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-16 11:46 AM by jonnysg.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
15476606366358740725870964826522.jpg    25 KB
15476606366358740725870964826522.jpg

15476606707815672618256382969585.jpg    25.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
15476607036038247683893038191336.jpg    23.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
mg-john Avatar
mg-john Gold Member John Hewell
Walhalla, SC, USA   USA
I wouldn't try to fix it.

Get Moss on the phone and demand a refund or a replacement. Send them your pictures.

My recent experience with Moss has been less than satisfactory: wrong parts sent, etc.

I am glad they are in business but I hope they improve a bit in the quality area.

John

John

Member Services:
I make specialty products for our Little British Cars. Shown is my race car at Daytona. I have the following products: timing chain cover stiffeners for MGB, A Series Spridget, and 1500 MG Midget and more.
jonnysg Avatar
jonnysg Jon Underbakke
Durham, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi John I did send pictures and video to my local Moss dealer and asked for advice on how to deal with it. I sent another email about 2 hours ago with another photo. I'll give him till the end of the day then call tomorrow. Unfortunately it's a 5 hour return drive so I was hoping to fix it myself but I'm not willing to flush $300 down the crapper if I screw it up. Were you able to see the junk in the threads from my photos? Thanks for your help.
Jon

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
IIRC the threads on that fitting are 19TPI. I think they are British Parallel Pipe Threads. Not a common tap size. Are you using the fitting from your old tank or a new Moss fitting?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jonnysg Avatar
jonnysg Jon Underbakke
Durham, ON, Canada   CAN
It's a new fitting from moss that I picked up when I got the tank. I can actually see the junk in the threads that are stopping the fitting from going in all the way. Otherwise the fitting goes in easily. Jon

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Are there enough good threads that you can file the last few threads off of the fitting?

jonnysg Avatar
jonnysg Jon Underbakke
Durham, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi Trevor, unfortunately it needs to seat all the way in otherwise all my fuel will be gushing out.

Attachments:
15476669788578199976470638087836.jpg    56.5 KB
15476669788578199976470638087836.jpg

jonnysg Avatar
jonnysg Jon Underbakke
Durham, ON, Canada   CAN
Just an update, my Moss distributor just contacted me and is talking to Moss now. I had to send more pictures so hopefully this will be resolved shortly, I'll keep you posted.
Cheers
Jon

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
I understand it needs to seat all the way. Filing the just the threads off the fitting near the line bulb will create a "nose" on the fitting will still press the bulb but will not need to engage the threads in the tank.

I agree that you should not need to do this, but they may go through 10 tanks before they find one without weld splatters.

jonnysg Avatar
jonnysg Jon Underbakke
Durham, ON, Canada   CAN
Ok it finally sunk in, I understand what you mean now. Where the blob of weld or whatever is located is about half way down so I would have to file off a far bit of the thread but great idea. My Moss distributor has forwarded more pictures of the problem to Moss USA so I'm hoping it will be resolved soon.
Thanks
Jon

mg-john Avatar
mg-john Gold Member John Hewell
Walhalla, SC, USA   USA
At the least Moss could send you the proper tap to clean the threads.

Maybe send one to the company that makes the tanks with instructions that all tanks have the outlet threads cleaned before shipping!

John

John

Member Services:
I make specialty products for our Little British Cars. Shown is my race car at Daytona. I have the following products: timing chain cover stiffeners for MGB, A Series Spridget, and 1500 MG Midget and more.
trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
I recently had the same problem. I have a tap but it was a tapered tap and i could not clean up the last few threads in the tank. But i only had to file off two threads off the fitting.

jonnysg Avatar
jonnysg Jon Underbakke
Durham, ON, Canada   CAN
No offense to our Asian brothers and sisters but I am sick and tired of seeing "made in china" on so much stuff. You would think at $300 it would have been made in North America or Britain. I didn't buy it at the dollar store. Okay I'll stop whining now. Thanks for everyone's input.
Jon

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
To my eye, that weld is/was unacceptable to begin with (at the price you pay for tanks in Canada). That is really shoddy workmanship in and around an essential part of our fuel delivery system. Moss should be ashamed to ship something like this.

If you do tap the threads out, be careful not to get any metal inside the tank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-16 02:48 PM by littlecars.

jonnysg Avatar
jonnysg Jon Underbakke
Durham, ON, Canada   CAN
Our Moss distributor just emailed me again and apparently Moss USA has sent it to their technical department and he figures they will probably send another tank but we shall see! I'd rather not tap it but I will if I have to.
Jon

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster