Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Need advice re which transmission to buy.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

lftrn97 Jim M
Marietta, Georgia (GA), USA   USA
So I am in touch with a fellow who has 3 transmissions for Sale. 2 are smooth case Midgets and the other is an MG 1500. I'm looking to install a 4-speed in a Crosley project. A lot of folks have advised against the smooth case but I only plan to run a couple of vintage races each year 200-250 total miles and almost no use of first gear. Does this Application mitigate some of the smooth case weaknesses? Next, I know nothing about the 1500. How does it compare size wise to the smooth case and does it have similar problems or is it OK? Finally, if I get the blessing here to get a smoothcase what should I look for in evaluation and comparing them? Thanks in advance.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Blue "parts" Car"
1999 Subaru Legacy "Daily Driver"
If by 1500 you mean one for a midget than it's a triumph unit. I don't know what engine a Crosley has but I do know this. The 1500 transmission will not bolt up to the A series engine.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
The smoothcase and 1500 transmissions are close in size as they both fit the trans tunnel in Sprite or Midget. I believe the 1500 trans is heavier. The 1500 trans has a synchronized 1st gear, the smoothcase does not. The 1500 trans is more robust and has bearings in places where the smoothcase trans has bushings. The 1500 will not bolt to an A-series BMC engine and the smoothcase or ribcase trans will not bolt to the Triumph engine of the 1500 Midgets. The smoothcase and ribcase transmissions have an integrated bellhousing, while the 1500 trans has a separate bellhousing. If you are leaning towards the smoothcase though, I would suggest you find a later Sprite or Midget ribcase trans instead. The ribcase is more robust than the smoothcase and has better gear ratios. Much easier to get parts for a ribcase, some smoothcase parts are no longer available. Many things to consider depending on your intended use.

With either type of transmission you want to check to make sure you can easily engage all gears and you have no weird noises when you spin the input shaft. Make sure the input shaft doesn't wiggle around excessively. 1st gear on a smoothcase or ribcase will be noisy even when in excellent shape as it is a straight cut gear. And after 50 or 60 years of people crashing it into 1st (no synchro) there may be some gear wear.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lftrn97 Jim M
Marietta, Georgia (GA), USA   USA
thanks for the info. are the clutches and input/output shafts the same on smooth and ribbed? if so I may just get the smooth to mock up my driveline.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Yes, same spline on both transmissions.

In reply to # 3875829 by lftrn97 thanks for the info. are the clutches and input/output shafts the same on smooth and ribbed? if so I may just get the smooth to mock up my driveline.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Smooth case transmissions should be free. I have three that I would gladly give away if someone came by to pick them up. If I had to go to the trouble of shipping them that would be another matter.

Kurt

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Last summer I traded a smoothcase for a very nice ribcase. But the smoothcase had been sent to England for a rebuild to like new condition. The guy that traded me is restoring a very early Lotus Seven and wants it to be as close to original as possible. smiling smiley

In reply to # 3875876 by S1 Elan Smooth case transmissions should be free. I have three that I would gladly give away if someone came by to pick them up. If I had to go to the trouble of shipping them that would be another matter.

Kurt

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
I need a 1500 trans if one is available cheap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-18 08:29 PM by GeorgeOhr.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I've got one, George, but I don't know where "confused" is. Freight might be excessive!grinning smiley

Kurt

Billm Avatar
Billm Bill Masquelier
Santee, CA, USA   USA
I would think about putting in a Datsun 210 4-speed transmission. Tough and fairly cheap!
Billm

kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, IA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3882190 by Billm I would think about putting in a Datsun 210 4-speed transmission. Tough and fairly cheap!
Billm

It's a Crosley, 25 HP, 750cc. No need to go overboard and an A series tranny is really ideal for a "hopped up" stock motor. My Crosley Hot Shot with a 65 HP engine does just fine with the stock tranny.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail PLEASE for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match most retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3882179 by S1 Elan I've got one, George, but I don't know where "confused" is. Freight might be excessive!grinning smiley

Kurt

PM sent

rheavern Avatar
rheavern Silver Member Ron HEAVERN
NORTH VERNON, IN, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA 1500 ~ For Sale ! ~
For the Crosley engine I would sugest an early English Ford (50s) or a 1200 Datsun, I assume you have a cast block lighter & shorter.

Sprite1956 Roger Parry-Jones
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Gentlemen and ladies,

I know it's crazy but on my shelf I have a completely rebuilt straight cut, close ratio smooth case gearbox with the original brass cone synchromesh system. 2.5 to one first gear etc. I doubt I'll ever use it. All my others have replaceable synchro's. Bellhousing machined to take the 7.25'' big diaphram clutch cover. Anyone interested? It's been sitting for a while since the Historic racing reg's here allowed the later 'boxes. You'll need the early gearstick but it will slot straight in. Lightened flywheel to suit.

Roger

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster