Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jan Kruber Avatar
Ballerup, Copenhagen, Denmark   DNK
Happy New Year smileys with beer
I think it was here on this forum I saw a member posting the link to the Moss five speed Ford T9 gearbox fitting instuctions. I have really tried to find the podt here but I didn't succeed, just can't find it.
Can any of you please help, thank you?
Jan

Mightymidget

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA

Yes No Thank
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
T9 gearbox is rare in the USA so not done much over here. I wish I could find one for my car. They are using the Datsun/Nissan 210 gearbox.

Yes No Thank
Jan Kruber Avatar
Thank you Trevor thumbs up
Jan

Mightymidget

Yes No Thank
Jan Kruber Avatar
And there are none of the Datsun boxes here in Denmark, Phillip.
I have bought and received a Midget / Ford T9 conversion kit on eBay UK and I have ordered a FM298 short remote T9 box with the longer 2.98 first gear at
http://www.firstmotion.co.uk/home-ford-type-9-gearbox
The gearbox should arrive end of January
Jan

In reply to # 3654696 by 66jalopy T9 gearbox is rare in the USA so not done much over here. I wish I could find one for my car. They are using the Datsun/Nissan 210 gearbox.

Mightymidget

Yes No Thank
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
You can buy it for much less than moss get it direct from the maker
With the favorable exchange rate from UK
HI-GEAR ENGINEERING.

The factory overdrive is easier, less money, 6 gear ratio

In reply to # 3654696 by 66jalopy T9 gearbox is rare in the USA so not done much over here. I wish I could find one for my car. They are using the Datsun/Nissan 210 gearbox.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Yes No Thank
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Nice

Yes No Thank
David8831 Avatar
David8831 David Halliday
Thame, Oxfordshire, UK   GBR
I would be really interested to get some opinions and feedback on the T9 conversion in a Midget. I have used it in a Magnette and an MGA and found it really good. I know from experience that there is not a lot of room in the Midget transmission tunnel and although the T9 is not a large gearbox, it surely is a tight fit? I believe also that a cross member needs cutting out?

My Midget has quite a warm 1310 engine and I am forever attempting to shift into 5th only to find that there is nothing there. With a 4.22 rear end it is doing almost 4,000 revs at 60mph. A 5 speed conversion seems to make a lot of sense.

Yes No Thank
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3655449 by ohlord You can buy it for much less than moss get it direct from the maker
With the favorable exchange rate from UK
HI-GEAR ENGINEERING.

The factory overdrive is easier, less money, 6 gear ratio

Peter Gamble and HIgh Gear Engineering does not offer a kit for the A series engines. I suspect he had something to do with designing it, I never ask him, as there is no US interest in this. Frontline is the master distributor for the T9 kit for A series engines .

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
Yes No Thank
Jan Kruber Avatar
David
I just scrolled old post's and noticed this:
I'm in Denmark in Europe, and due the lack of Datsun 210 the thing here is Ford T9.
After having adapted the Ford T9 conversion kit and the Ford T9 gearbox into the Midget 1275 from start March to mid May, whenever time was available to play with it, it was a very, very handshaking and exciting experience to fire up and see if everything worked. IT DID ! FIRST TIME !
Lets scroll back. I found the conversion kit and the Ford gearbox from two independent supliers on the UK ebay. I have had a nice conversation, advices and help from the gearbox supplier, Paul of First Motion Transmission. He made me a gearbox with shortened remote and a longer first gear. The conversion kit supplier was not so helpofull when having questions, though.
With engine and transmission on the workbench, adaption and fitting of the parts began. It is NOT an easy job, but thankfully I have some mechanical experience and all the details were sorted out. It is off course the final test with the engine/transmission in the car when rolling, that show the final result - engine/transmission out again og keep on rolling......
I have now had several wonderfull journeys, it really is a joy and the gearbox really suits the car. A synchronised first isn't that bad, nice and long (compared to the original first in the donor cars, Ford Sierra's) - nice to know, that a roller release bearing is present, and not at least, when driving in fourth, which should have the same ration as the old ribcase, there is one more relaxed gear to shift to. I have the 3,9 diff.
Even with the longer first and the shorter remote, the cost for the conversion kit plus the gearbox was a little less than $ 3000. Not a single part missing in the kits.
I thing it's absolutely worth the money and effort. As I understand there is not as much work fitting the Datsun gearbox and I do not know the ratio of theese, but 5 speed absolutely makes sense for me. In my case the engine decrease by 400 - 450 rpm's when shifting from 4th to 5th.
The speedometer has to be recalibrated to suit the Ford gearbox though, it was an expense of approx $ 130, this even included a minor repair, thumb nuts, facia O ring, reset cable and reprinting of the face to Kmph and altering from mph to kmph.
Cheers
Jan

In reply to # 3655536 by David8831 I would be really interested to get some opinions and feedback on the T9 conversion in a Midget. I have used it in a Magnette and an MGA and found it really good. I know from experience that there is not a lot of room in the Midget transmission tunnel and although the T9 is not a large gearbox, it surely is a tight fit? I believe also that a cross member needs cutting out?

My Midget has quite a warm 1310 engine and I am forever attempting to shift into 5th only to find that there is nothing there. With a 4.22 rear end it is doing almost 4,000 revs at 60mph. A 5 speed conversion seems to make a lot of sense.

Mightymidget

+2 Yes No Thank
Checkmate Avatar
Checkmate Jim R
None, Left Coast, USA   USA

I've got one for sale for $500 plus shipping from the Left Coast. It's the heavy duty model used in the turbo version of the Merkur, meaning it has beefier bearings up front. You have to either shorten the input shaft slightly, or replace it with the shorter shaft, which I've seen for sale for around $100. These are getting very hard to find in the US. PM me if you're interested.

+1 Yes No Thank
KenAdkison Avatar
KenAdkison Gold Member Ken Adkison
Shelton, WA, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB
Has anyone found parts good parts supplier for the ford type-9 transmission?

T-9 conversion

PROS: MOSS gets the Ford T-9 kits from Hi-gear engineering it is an expensive but good kit. This is a perfect match ratio wise to the factory overdrive. It shifts much easier and I did not have to hammer the floor of my 75' MGB to fit it. Unlike the factory crossmember, this one is simple to install. I was surprised that I could not remove it from the bottom of my car without pulling the engine. It come with a very nice driveshaft and runs quite and smooth.

CONS: Mine was not rebuilt and after 20,000 more miles it started to baulk at shifting. BTW: oil choice is critical especially if cold, use one of the recommended oils. I am easy on gearboxes but expect near perfection.

It took a while, but I got a rebuild kit from https://www.bearingkits.co.uk. When I pulled it apart I found the forward bearing of layshaft had been chattering on the spindle (cluster gear shaft). This must be a common problem as the latter units have a larger bearing.
I have not been able to source a new spindle in the U.S. or europe so far and may have to have one made.
Support for this transmission seems to be ending. With very few modest sized rear wheel drive vehicles being made now, I'm not sure we will see a more modern transmission kit become available to upgrade too.

Ken Adkison

1975 MGB restored in 2009 to near stock. 2012 - 2016 engine management development program and test driving.
Stock 18V bottom end with 9.8:1 compression and mild APT VP11 cam .
Crossflow aluminum 7-port, big valve, head and Moss heritage exhaust. T-9 5-speed.

Bespoke modern closed loop, port fuel injection system based around MegaSquirt MS-Pro controller.
Hand made intake, wiring and other parts.

www.adkison.name/mgb/

Yes No Thank
Checkmate Avatar
Checkmate Jim R
None, Left Coast, USA   USA
I have a T-9 out in my garage that I'm willing to sell. It came out of a turbocharged Mercury Merkur, so it has the beefier front bearing. I was originally going to put it in my MGA, which requires shortening the input shaft slightly. I've inspected the gears, and they look perfect. I'm asking $500 + shipping if anyone's interested.

+1 Yes No Thank
  KenAdkison thanked Checkmate for this post

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 MG MGB GT

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links