Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Abington, PA, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget MkIV "Rodney"
Hello all,

I'm getting ready to order five new 145SR13's for my Midget which has been mothballed for some time. Thought I'd get the wheels repainted and tires correct as I do a refit on everything else. Years ago, I remember a lug mount adapter was needed to best balance Ro-Style wheels. Well, most of the tire and garage shops around me can't even dismount the old P-3s on my wheels. Our old rims have very small hub openings, and it seems it doesn't fit most modern machines. Many years ago in HS and college I dismounted and installed tires on rims manually with some long arm tools whenever needed. If i must, I can do that again, but a bubble center hub balancer doesn't always work well with these wheels.

So what are you guys doing?

Thanks,

Richard

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Silver Member Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Opus"
Um...

Just bought 4 Westlake tires from Walmart last fall. They mounted and balance without any issues. What space-aged machines do they have around you? (Not poking fun, I’ve just never heard of that issue).

EDIT: Should have mentioned - No, I didn’t let Walmart touch my MG. I took them off at home and brought the wheels in two at a time.

Thomas (Count) Basey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-10 06:09 PM by CountBasey.

Attachments:
CE30DFD9-69FF-4CB3-8373-785489D68798.jpeg    48.1 KB
CE30DFD9-69FF-4CB3-8373-785489D68798.jpeg

Yes No Thank
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
My understanding is that the center hole is a little off center on most of those wheels. It was also too small for my bubble balancer. I have an old rear hub, was looking it just last wee k to see if I could use it somehow.

Yes No Thank
CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Silver Member Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Opus"
The balancing machine I saw went thru the middle hub hole, but it wasn’t close to any edge of the hole. There was a conical plastic/rubber hub they slipped on which pressed against the “spokes” of the rim to center it, and then a threaded locking nut that looks like an old ships wheel. If the hole was slightly off center, I don’t think it mattered.

With as fast as my stock Midget goes - I’m not sure perfect balancing matters that much. winking smiley

Anyone else have this issue? Maybe I was just very fortunate.

Thomas (Count) Basey

Yes No Thank
Abington, PA, USA   USA
Hi guys,

Truing and balancing tires is one reason I never wanted wire wheels on any car. I had a friend with a TD back in the late'60's who went nuts trying to balance those to track true and in line.

Anyway, I bought my Midget new in '76 and watched when they switched the low quality Dunlop's for the Pirelli's that I opted for. Stuck with them for years, but can't get them now. The dealer used an adjustable plate to which they bolted a tire as with lug nuts, and then put the assembly on a vertical spin balance machine. I've seen modern tire balance machines like that all round me me in shops and tire stores, but most say they can't handle tires as small as 13" and with such small center holes. Of course, many US cars these days come with 16 - 22" tires (even Chevy suburbans though my Dad's '70 had 14" wheels.) . Now, some shops have shown me that they have lug adapters for the same purpose of spin balancing, but can't fit my Ro-Style wheels. So , may be I'll just do it myself : Buy a bubble balance and some weights and guess.

Thanks,

Richard

Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Richard,

The Pirelli Cinturatos you remember are available again! And they're made by Pirelli.

https://www.lucasclassictires.com/145HR13-PIRELLI-CINTURATO-CA67-145r13L.htm

In reply to # 3906502 by Richard P. Senatore Hi guys,

Truing and balancing tires is one reason I never wanted wire wheels on any car. I had a friend with a TD back in the late'60's who went nuts trying to balance those to track true and in line.

Anyway, I bought my Midget new in '76 and watched when they switched the low quality Dunlop's for the Pirelli's that I opted for. Stuck with them for years, but can't get them now. The dealer used an adjustable plate to which they bolted a tire as with lug nuts, and then put the assembly on a vertical spin balance machine. I've seen modern tire balance machines like that all round me me in shops and tire stores, but most say they can't handle tires as small as 13" and with such small center holes. Of course, many US cars these days come with 16 - 22" tires (even Chevy suburbans though my Dad's '70 had 14" wheels.) . Now, some shops have shown me that they have lug adapters for the same purpose of spin balancing, but can't fit my Ro-Style wheels. So , may be I'll just do it myself : Buy a bubble balance and some weights and guess.

Thanks,

Richard

+1 Yes No Thank
  trowe9 thanked refisk for this post
Abington, PA, USA   USA
Thank you so much, Rick!

I've been looking around for months and only found Firestone 145SR13s at Corker. They did have Vredsteins a couple fo years ago but not now. I'm buying those Pirelli tires once more! They are great on the car. $ 30 more each than the Firestone's but well worth it.

Thanks,

Richard

Yes No Thank
Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
I've found that traditional "real" tire stores near me will be able to deal with lug-centric wheels. You just have to ask around and not expect anything from the budget "auto-centre" type places which only invest in the most basic of tools and skills barely enough to put Chinese tires on Little Tiffany's minivan.

Ask around; if they know what you are talking about, chances are they can do it. The best part is you will actually find someone you would trust to touch your car. My mob even knows to put the wheels back on with a torque-wrench, not a windy-gun at full chat!

Grin!

Offence is the opiate of the humourless.

Yes No Thank
Abington, PA, USA   USA
Hi Rick,

Do you remember German Bavarian Metzeler tires? The company only makes motorcycle tires now ( https://www.metzeler.com/en-ww/about-metzeler/who-we-are ) Back in winter of '77 my Dad brought home two Midget wheels from a junkyard that he thought were the same as mine. They weren't; they're an earlier RoStyle wheel with square holes as in the attached picture. Well, I decided to put snow tires on them and the ones I got were Metzeler (and they are still on those wheels in the garage) since the Midget was my work commuter car.. Remarkable tires: they were impregnated with an antifreeze in their compound that oozed around the tire when parked on snow or ice. Amazing tech for a1970 tire.

Well, I'd be happy to trade those square hole wheels for two of my regular RoStyle ones which most of us have. My thought is someone may need them as they are more rare than the later ones.

Regards,

Richard

Attachments:
MG MIdget Wheel Pix.jpg    19.8 KB
MG MIdget Wheel Pix.jpg

Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
I remember Metzeler tires. I'm old. smiling smiley

Those wheels were used only on '71 Sprites and Midgets. Because they were only used for one year they are kinda rare.

In reply to # 3906842 by Richard P. Senatore Hi Rick,

Do you remember German Bavarian Metzeler tires? The company only makes motorcycle tires now ( https://www.metzeler.com/en-ww/about-metzeler/who-we-are ) Back in winter of '77 my Dad brought home two Midget wheels from a junkyard that he thought were the same as mine. They weren't; they're an earlier RoStyle wheel with square holes as in the attached picture. Well, I decided to put snow tires on them and the ones I got were Metzeler (and they are still on those wheels in the garage) since the Midget was my work commuter car.. Remarkable tires: they were impregnated with an antifreeze in their compound that oozed around the tire when parked on snow or ice. Amazing tech for a1970 tire.

Well, I'd be happy to trade those square hole wheels for two of my regular RoStyle ones which most of us have. My thought is someone may need them as they are more rare than the later ones.

Regards,

Richard

Yes No Thank
Abington, PA, USA   USA
HI Brain, I always mount my own wheels onto all my cars, and there is always anti-seize on the threads. Learned years ago that air guns ruin rims, studs and one's arms and back. I have noticed that newer air guns actually have selectable torque setting on them, but I doubt most shop monkeys bother to use them.

Bests,

Richard

Yes No Thank
Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Hi, Richard

I doubt they are calibrated even in the loosest sense of the word, either. Grin!

Now the Walmart "mechanics" have battery impact guns.

I'm lucky we have a real tire shop, complete with old guys and old tooling as well as the latest in thermonuclear laser-guided smart balancers, no doubt with blue-teeth and interweb connectivity for the complete modern experience.

smoking smiley

Offence is the opiate of the humourless.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster