AutoShrine Sponsor

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Looks wonderful Glenn,
Shame it has to go to new pastures, though the upgrade sounds exciting.

Joel "Albuquerque, NM, USA USA
Johnny - is the Moggy in Post # 546 yours? If so, how about a shot of the dash, and of the engine bay? Also, see below message to Rick. "

Sorry this has been so long in coming, I've a memory like a sieve. However, whilst doing a bit of work on the trafficators, I glanced at the dash and remembered your request and my promise. As you will see I need to do something about the paintwork.

All the best Johnny

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20181212_115447.jpg    57.4 KB
20181212_115447.jpg

20181212_115235.jpg    59.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20181212_115412.jpg    56.9 KB
20181212_115435.jpg    51.8 KB
drooartz Avatar
drooartz Drew Frink
Mountains, UT, USA   USA
In reply to # 3855586 by Yankeedriver I just found a Datsun 210 5-speed while driving to see a client yesterday (always carry coveralls and a mini tool kit in the back of the wagon when driving around NM for this reason), and have my eyes on a two-owner Moggy that an old family friend in WA says may be had for a song when the snow melts. If so, all I'd need is a used 1275 to drop in there, and there'd be one more on the road...

This is an excellent combination. I have many miles on mine, a '66, with 1275 and 5-speed.

Drew's RHD Garage: '59 RHD Bugeye, '66 RHD Morris Minor, '70 RHD MGB -- yes, there's a pattern here...

mrmg1965 Avatar
mrmg1965 Gold Member Steve Strublic
Peoria, AZ, USA   USA
1965 MG Midget "Gidget"
2011 Mini Cooper S "Nigel Whitworth"
Sweet ride, Drew.

Steve

http://midget.strublic.net

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3860115 by drooartz
In reply to # 3855586 by Yankeedriver I just found a Datsun 210 5-speed while driving to see a client yesterday (always carry coveralls and a mini tool kit in the back of the wagon when driving around NM for this reason), and have my eyes on a two-owner Moggy that an old family friend in WA says may be had for a song when the snow melts. If so, all I'd need is a used 1275 to drop in there, and there'd be one more on the road...

This is an excellent combination. I have many miles on mine, a '66, with 1275 and 5-speed.

Beautiful! Now, how about a picture of the engine bay and perhaps the interior?

Also, what size and width are those minilites?

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
drooartz Avatar
drooartz Drew Frink
Mountains, UT, USA   USA
It's been a surprising little car... bought it on a whim and now it's a permanent family member. It's the only one of my cars that my wife actually wants to ride in.

The wheels are 14" x 5.5, from Bull Motif in the UK. They're a little silly on a 4-door Minor, but I admit that I really like the look.

Interior and engine bay shots. Engine is a strong 1275 built by the previous owner, no idea the spec but it's a good runner. Single HIF44 carb, Datsun 5-speed with Gerard's conversion kit and hydraulic clutch. Purrs along at 70 mph at 3500 RPM all day long, and climbs the local grades (I live in the UT mountains) like a champ.

Not the best engine bay shot (air filter off and fuel line moved out of the way) but it's too cold outside to get out to the shop and take a better pic. smiling smiley

Drew's RHD Garage: '59 RHD Bugeye, '66 RHD Morris Minor, '70 RHD MGB -- yes, there's a pattern here...

Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3860916 by drooartz It's been a surprising little car... bought it on a whim and now it's a permanent family member. It's the only one of my cars that my wife actually wants to ride in.

The wheels are 14" x 5.5, from Bull Motif in the UK. They're a little silly on a 4-door Minor, but I admit that I really like the look.

Interior and engine bay shots. Engine is a strong 1275 built by the previous owner, no idea the spec but it's a good runner. Single HIF44 carb, Datsun 5-speed with Gerard's conversion kit and hydraulic clutch. Purrs along at 70 mph at 3500 RPM all day long, and climbs the local grades (I live in the UT mountains) like a champ.

Not the best engine bay shot (air filter off and fuel line moved out of the way) but it's too cold outside to get out to the shop and take a better pic. smiling smiley

No, these are great--thank you.

Oh, man... now you've got me even more interested in a Minor up in Colorado I was ogling. I'm 90% done with a DIY EFI setup on the '67 Midget DIY EFI for A-series and after that was going to either add the Mercedes SLK230 blower DIY supercharger or leave the car naturally aspirated. But that would leave me without a blown car... which leads me to the ideal scenario: one A-series car with EFI and another running a single HIF44 fed by the M45 Mercedes blower. That would leave me with a wonderful quandary: which would the Moggy be?

P.S. Friends of the family previously owned much of the land behind Timpanogos (series of relatives had gotten homesteads), and they sold off many acres to Redford to develop Sundance and put up his enormous A-frame cabin. They retained a few parcels with ski/hiking cabins, and my Dad's friend Stew owned an old BMW 2002 which he used to throw around the curves going up and down the canyon--big smile on my face, while my Dad exhibited white knuckles gripping the 'oh, @#%%' handle.

Joel

Member Services:
mrmg1965 Avatar
Peoria, AZ, USA   USA
1965 MG Midget "Gidget"
Drew,

What diff are you running? I’m pulling 3700 at 70 with my rib case and a 3.9 diff. I have a 5 speed on the shelf waiting for funds to buy Gerard’s kit... but if I only gain a couple hundred RPM, I might leave it be.

Joel, my “oh s$#t” handle is my steering wheel. Lol I got up to 83 on the way home yesterday. Wow. It would still go, too.

Steve

Spitz Avatar
Spitz Matthew T
PA, SK, Canada   CAN
3700rpm @ 70 mph is pretty darn good.
Sure, running @ 3500 would be nice, but then....what are you losing in the low end?

mrmg1965 Avatar
Peoria, AZ, USA   USA
1965 MG Midget "Gidget"
If the ratios 1-4 are roughly equivalent, then 5 is like an overdrive for me. I suppose that’s worth it. If I could get 3500 RPM in 5th with a 4.22 diff I’d do that and get some acceleration back... but I went from a 1098 and 4.22 to a slightly hopped up 1275 and a 3.9, and it seems pretty peppy.

Steve

mrmg1965 Avatar
Peoria, AZ, USA   USA
1965 MG Midget "Gidget"
On another note... I’m now sporting my MGE bling.

Steve

Attachments:
BC470812-C8E8-4C41-BD8B-9BC835614D5A.jpeg    73.4 KB
BC470812-C8E8-4C41-BD8B-9BC835614D5A.jpeg

Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3861163 by mrmg1965 Joel, my “oh s$#t” handle is my steering wheel. Lol I got up to 83 on the way home yesterday. Wow. It would still go, too.

Steve

Nice. My stock, tired, low-compression 1275 with a Datsun 5-speed and 3.9:1 differential would hit 85 fairly quickly (between two exits in ABQ). Can't remember what the revs were at that speed, it's been so darned long since she's been running. Anyway, I'm guessing it'll peg the speedo handily running an intercooled blower, HIF44 with ram pipe, Maniflow LCB and high-lift rockers.

I'll be clutching the identical 'oh, s$#t!' handle you have shortly. Murray Motorsport (Dublin) purportedly shipped the correct, flat wheel a week ago and it left Stamford, Connecticut on the 18th, presumably bound for my high desert hideaway.

Member Services:
mrmg1965 Avatar
Peoria, AZ, USA   USA
1965 MG Midget "Gidget"
In reply to # 3861265 by Yankeedriver
In reply to # 3861163 by mrmg1965 Joel, my “oh s$#t” handle is my steering wheel. Lol I got up to 83 on the way home yesterday. Wow. It would still go, too.

Steve

Nice. My stock, tired, low-compression 1275 with a Datsun 5-speed and 3.9:1 differential would hit 85 fairly quickly (between two exits in ABQ). Can't remember what the revs were at that speed, it's been so darned long since she's been running. Anyway, I'm guessing it'll peg the speedo handily running an intercooled blower, HIF44 with ram pipe, Maniflow LCB and high-lift rockers.

I'll be clutching the identical 'oh, s$#t!' handle you have shortly. Murray Motorsport (Dublin) purportedly shipped the correct, flat wheel a week ago and it left Stamford, Connecticut on the 18th, presumably bound for my high desert hideaway.

Joel,

Make sure you wear your brown pants the first time you drive it.

Steve

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
A side note on shipping - I ordered a transmission gear set from Mini Spares in England. Their standard shipping method for items going to the USA is DHL Express. They shipped it Tuesday morning and I received it today at noon.

Why is your wheel taking so long?

In reply to # 3861265 by Yankeedriver

Steve

Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3861275 by refisk A side note on shipping - I ordered a transmission gear set from Mini Spares in England. Their standard shipping method for items going to the USA is DHL Express. They shipped it Tuesday morning and I received it today at noon.

Why is your wheel taking so long?

Rick,

I'm assuming because they had to eat shipping twice--once for the return, then again to send out the correct wheel across the pond. They used the cheapest possible service, which is a USPS 'partner.' I got my HIF44 from Mini Spares in England and it was the same deal you got--DHL and fast.

I've checked into DHL for my own overseas shipments, but you have to meet their frequency standard, which my teensy Creative Spridgets DIY-oriented biz cannot do. So, I use USPS--but priority, not 'slowest darned boat we can find' like these guys.

Man, I hope they shipped the right wheel this time!

Joel

Member Services:
drooartz Avatar
drooartz Drew Frink
Mountains, UT, USA   USA
In reply to # 3861112 by Yankeedriver No, these are great--thank you.

Oh, man... now you've got me even more interested in a Minor up in Colorado I was ogling. I'm 90% done with a DIY EFI setup on the '67 Midget DIY EFI for A-series and after that was going to either add the Mercedes SLK230 blower DIY supercharger or leave the car naturally aspirated. But that would leave me without a blown car... which leads me to the ideal scenario: one A-series car with EFI and another running a single HIF44 fed by the M45 Mercedes blower. That would leave me with a wonderful quandary: which would the Moggy be?

P.S. Friends of the family previously owned much of the land behind Timpanogos (series of relatives had gotten homesteads), and they sold off many acres to Redford to develop Sundance and put up his enormous A-frame cabin. They retained a few parcels with ski/hiking cabins, and my Dad's friend Stew owned an old BMW 2002 which he used to throw around the curves going up and down the canyon--big smile on my face, while my Dad exhibited white knuckles gripping the 'oh, @#%%' handle.

Mine's naturally aspirated and pulls the grades around here pretty well all things considered. I live at 6500' and my favorite roads around here go up to about 10k'. All things considered it does well. I have at times considered EFI for the Morris, but that's way down the list.

One thing to be aware of in the Minor is that while the engine bay is wide (originally designed for a flat-4 engine that never happened) it is not very long. The A-series just fits -- so if thinking of a blower you need to be conscious that space will be tight fore and aft. I don't know if the Moss setup (for example) would really fit. Might, but it would be very tight. My Bugeye has more room.

My last house had a view of Timp from the back yard. I'm a few miles from that now, but still in the same area. The road around Timp is one of the best small-car roads around.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster