Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3881447 by Richh52 Doing a complete restoration on a 1967 Midget. I got it cheap from a relative who acquired it along the way so to speak. I have recently retired and was looking for a car project. The car drove and ran when I got it but it would start to miss unexpectedly and I wondered if I would make it back home at times. I did a compression test and found the third cylinder to be only half the others. I then pulled the head off to fond what looked like someone drove a screwdriver down the side of #3 & 4 pistons. I pulled the engine out and stripped it. Surprise surprise, there were only three rings that were still in one piece for the four cylinders. I measured the cylinder walls with snap gage and found about .015" taper is them all. Knowing this was too much to hone, I decided to send the engine out for rebuild. I now have it back, seems to run fine. While the engine was out I found a museum in England online that could give me a certificate of the car when it left the factory. After receiving the cert, I checked all the serial numbers of components and chasis. To my surprise, they all matched! The car was somewhat original. The body color had been changed and the interior as well. I decided to put everything back to original. When stripping the paint, excessive amounts of filler had been used to fill in some dents. I found 1984 license plates riveted in a couple places. Someone had done a revamp prior and not very well. I am still plugging away at it with a lot of materials already purchased working steadily on the body. Haven't gotten to the point of paint yet. The color will be Old English White with Red interior w/ White Piping. Can't wait to see it finished. Hoping for this spring some time. Wish me luck, Rich

Of course, you've chosen the best year--not that I'm biased or anything... smiling bouncing smiley Anyway, looking forward to seeing how she turns out. Happy Retirement!

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Richard D Avatar
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3860115 by drooartz This is an excellent combination. I have many miles on mine, a '66, with 1275 and 5-speed.

WoW... cool smiley

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Yes No Thank
BruceM Avatar
BruceM Bruce McFarland
Covington, WA, USA   USA
These are a few of my favorite things. They meet the Marie Kondo seal of approval.

Attachments:
20190302_170327.jpg    67.7 KB
20190302_170327.jpg

Yes No Thank
Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3904909 by BruceM These are a few of my favorite things. They meet the Marie Kondo seal of approval.

Beautiful, Bruce!

I've got a Y2K Cannondale aluminum road racer (white/blue) that I bought with some of my settlement after I was rear-ended while sitting at a stop light with one cleat resting on the ground. The point of the saddle hit me in the cheek just one side of the tail bone, and I went up onto the car waiting in front of me. Fractured vertebrae just under my skull from the sudden flexion/extension, headaches and blurred vision for weeks... ouch. Old frame (hand built French chrome moly with lovely pointed lugs) was ruined.

Anyway, I'll see if I can get Baloo (our Weimaraner) to sit still long enough to take a similar shot. My gorgeous wife won't agree to get in the frame, or it'd be four of my favorite things and beings: British car; Canadian-American bike; German dog; Italian-Oakie wife.

Joel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-09 08:49 AM by Yankeedriver.

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
7mg2 Avatar
7mg2 Andrew Hardie
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
1969 MG MGC GT "Mr "C"
1972 MG Midget MkIII
Arizona sun setting on my ‘72.

Andy

NAMGBR# 20-7738

Attachments:
8D9802A8-EBB8-4D7A-BCF5-2B26086A238E.jpeg    30.7 KB
8D9802A8-EBB8-4D7A-BCF5-2B26086A238E.jpeg

Yes No Thank
Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3909931 by 7mg2 Arizona sun setting on my ‘72.

Nice shot! When I get my engine rebuilt and reinstalled--which I hope will be the end of this month or early April--I'm going to send you a sunrise shot of my '67 near the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. That's the range to the right in the background of this shot taken near my house right after we moved in.

Joel

Member Services:

Attachments:
Joel's Midget, high desert.jpg    62 KB
Joel's Midget, high desert.jpg

Yes No Thank
davids0143 Avatar
davids0143 David Shorten
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Beautiful shot! I might have to steal that idea...lol...

Yes No Thank
sean253 Avatar
sean253 Sean Heupel
Salem, OR, USA   USA
I found out why the British lost the war. We found the pin for the transmission that was apparently a good idea for absorbing multilateral pressure... sleepy On the bright side, they now make a "reinforced pin" and I learned something new... that I can't unlearn...

SIDE NOTE: Half tempted to start engineering a new part to be machined, because I love driving her, but I don't like such an obvious point of failure, but I also need to get into the transmission designs down to the micrometer level (though it would not surprise me if the engineering was at the millimeter level).

Yes No Thank
johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
"I found out why the British lost the war."

Was that the the war of independence, when we were under Hanovarian rule or the battle of independent suspension?

Johnny in the UK smiling smiley

Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
I wondered what war that was too. I also wondered what mystery "pin" in the Triumph transmission he refers to. I don't have a lot of experience with the Triumph box, but I've never heard anyone else refer to a pin that is responsible for gearbox failures. Actually, I've never heard of any Triumph gearbox failures here on MGE. confused smiley

In reply to # 3910452 by johnnyw637 "I found out why the British lost the war."

Was that the the war of independence, when we were under Hanovarian rule or the battle of independent suspension?

Johnny in the UK smiling smiley

Yes No Thank
sean253 Avatar
sean253 Sean Heupel
Salem, OR, USA   USA
@ Johnny - Yes

Yes No Thank
johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
In reply to # 3910548 by sean253 @ Johnny - Yes

Cheers Sean,

So it was the Battle of Automatic v Manual gearbox then Grin smileys with beer

Yes No Thank
sean253 Avatar
sean253 Sean Heupel
Salem, OR, USA   USA
Lol! I love British humor! You genuinely just made my day.

Yes No Thank
johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Glad to be of service Sir smileys with beer

Yes No Thank
sean253 Avatar
sean253 Sean Heupel
Salem, OR, USA   USA
May I ask you a question, as a Britain with a different culture? We Americans have amazing stories like Die Hard and The Matrix. What are some good stories or books that Americans probably don't know about? I just finished a book, and I'm looking to enjoy some down time with something I may not have heard of that demonstrates the artistic elaboration of the a culture I have greatly enjoyed with "Pride & Prejudice" and actors like Colin Firth.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster