Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Scirocco333 Avatar
Scirocco333 Ryan Kramer
Trussville, AL, USA   USA
I’m new to owning one of these and don’t understand when the radiator fan should be on. Everything I’ve owned has has a switch that fires the fan up when activated. My Midget’s fan comes on when the car starts and never goes off. I’ve taken it on several 10-15 minute hops in 50 degree weather recently, and the gauge (new) doesn’t get to the low end of normal. The thermostat is 195, and coolant was mixed carefully with the level up to the top. I’ve yet to find a site that explains when the fan should operate. Should I count my blessings, b/c it seems everyone else has overheating problems? I have an infrared temp sensor, would that help?

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
The fan on your car is not electric, it turns all the time. Running cool is a good thing. smiling smiley

In reply to # 3904254 by Scirocco333 I’m new to owning one of these and don’t understand when the radiator fan should be on. Everything I’ve owned has has a switch that fires the fan up when activated. My Midget’s fan comes on when the car starts and never goes off. I’ve taken it on several 10-15 minute hops in 50 degree weather recently, and the gauge (new) doesn’t get to the low end of normal. The thermostat is 195, and coolant was mixed carefully with the level up to the top. I’ve yet to find a site that explains when the fan should operate. Should I count my blessings, b/c it seems everyone else has overheating problems? I have an infrared temp sensor, would that help?

+1 Yes No Thank
  Scirocco333 thanked refisk for this post
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Blue "parts" Car"
1999 Subaru Legacy "Daily Driver"
The raditor fan was orginally a clutch type fan run by the engine. So you'll need to install a temp sensor in the system somewhere. There should be some old posts about where and how and which temp range to use. Moss's temp sensor for their fan kit cuts on at 185 F and off at 170 F so I would look for somehing in or around that range.You can look up in-line coolant sensors and go from there. I think that would be IMHO the easiest option.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

Yes No Thank
bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Silver Member Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, WA, USA   USA
The clutch fan is a heat sensitive unit. Bi-metallic instead of fluid coupling if memory serves me correct. It could have failed to full fan. Normally a clutch fan will allow the fan to free spin when cold and locks up when hot.

Also check the thermostat to make sure that it is working correctly.

Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
After re-reading the original post maybe the fan is electric. If so, there is no thermostat installed and that is why it runs all the time.

Ryan, is the fan electric and mounted on the radiator or is it just blades mounted on the water pump pulley?

In reply to # 3904279 by bleteaches6 The clutch fan is a heat sensitive unit. Bi-metallic instead of fluid coupling if memory serves me correct. It could have failed to full fan. Normally a clutch fan will allow the fan to free spin when cold and locks up when hot.

Also check the thermostat to make sure that it is working correctly.

Yes No Thank
CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Silver Member Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Opus"
Pictures always help. Even if you know that it’s electric or clutch style, sometimes wise eyes can see when a previous owner has rigged something up.

I will agree with a post above - count your blessings if running cool. I’d only be concerned if you were driving year round in a colder climate.

Thomas (Count) Basey

Yes No Thank
Scirocco333 Avatar
Scirocco333 Ryan Kramer
I will check on the setup. Other than being de-smogged, the rest of it appears to be stock. By "free spin" does that mean the fan will spin by hand with the motor off? I will check that, and post pics of what I'm looking at.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-07 08:11 AM by Scirocco333.

Yes No Thank
Scirocco333 Avatar
Scirocco333 Ryan Kramer
The fan is run by the water pump.

Attachments:
88480F8E-C0DE-4EDE-8C50-DD3D560B0E43.jpeg    25.9 KB
88480F8E-C0DE-4EDE-8C50-DD3D560B0E43.jpeg

Yes No Thank
zabond Russell Meehan
Neerim East, victoria, Australia   AUS
1966 MG Midget "Bridget"
Looks like a fixed fan, as you said you had an infrared sensor take it for a run to get it up to temp then take a reading on the thermostat housing and see what you get, you may find that your temp sender unit doesn't match your new gauge, assuming that it's an elec gauge.
Russ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-07 05:03 PM by zabond.

Yes No Thank
dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Dave Rhine
Columbia, SC, USA   USA
Ryan, that sounds normal to me.
My 1500, in cooler weather, runs with the gauge to the left of center.
In warmer weather, it runs about 3/4 of the way to the right.
Enjoy the cool running & hope it runs cool this summer!

Good Luck

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it until it is! winking smiley

Yes No Thank
bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Silver Member Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, WA, USA   USA
Ryan
That is a fixed fan that you can't control if it is attached to the water pump
Other than that, the thermostat controls the engine heat

Yes No Thank
Scirocco333 Avatar
Scirocco333 Ryan Kramer
It’s a mechanical gauge. I’m trying to keep the car a original as possible. I had a bad gauge before that when I tested it, was running 160 in boiling water. This new gauge at least moves a lot farther off the peg than the old one so I guess I need to wait for summer. I’m just nervous that this gauge was reading low too, and I was going to cook to motor.

Yes No Thank
Scirocco333 Avatar
Scirocco333 Ryan Kramer
I took it out for a longer run today. It was 60 degrees out. This is what it read most of the trip, and I t crept up to 160 when I stopped the car. I guess I’m fine. Everybody else has issue of them running too hot and I guess I jumped the gun!

Attachments:
712A746B-064D-4FA9-BDEB-C0A1C86F40D4.jpeg    54 KB
712A746B-064D-4FA9-BDEB-C0A1C86F40D4.jpeg

Yes No Thank
LTLRED4 Jim Ance M.
Petoskey, MI, USA   USA
1964 Austin-Healey Sprite "LTLRED4"
Just my thoughts, but something is not correct with the thermostat not closing and allowing too much coolant to circulate. You should be able to start it up and idle and watch the temp gauge slowly creep up to the rated temp on the thermostat. If its not getting up to that rating, coolant is flowing past it not allowing the regualation of engine coolant heat. Running an engine cold is not necessarily good.
They are designed to run at a certain temperature, if not, why would they install a 190 degree valve(thermostat) to regulate coolant. I would take it apart, inspect it, and if needed replace it. They are cheep and easy to replace. My bet is there is something wrong with the thermostat or the housing allowing coolant to pass uncontrollably.
Good luck and let us know what the solution was.
Jim

Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Or there may be no thermostat installed.

In reply to # 3906160 by LTLRED4 Just my thoughts, but something is not correct with the thermostat not closing and allowing too much coolant to circulate. You should be able to start it up and idle and watch the temp gauge slowly creep up to the rated temp on the thermostat. If its not getting up to that rating, coolant is flowing past it not allowing the regualation of engine coolant heat. Running an engine cold is not necessarily good.
They are designed to run at a certain temperature, if not, why would they install a 190 degree valve(thermostat) to regulate coolant. I would take it apart, inspect it, and if needed replace it. They are cheep and easy to replace. My bet is there is something wrong with the thermostat or the housing allowing coolant to pass uncontrollably.
Good luck and let us know what the solution was.
Jim

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster