AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Hi guys
Anyone heard of using this transmission for a substitute for a Datsun 5spd? One on ebay for $750 as opposed to $1200 for a 210 tranny.

thnx

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
The T9 is the transmission supplied in the Moss kit. How much you need besides you will have to determine. I believe bell housing for starter's.

Kurt.

Yes No Thank
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
That's the box of choice in UK, Ford Sierra amongst others used it, kits available. I'm told its heavier but parts should be plentiful.

Yes No Thank
Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
Does require cutting of transmission cross member. Not as neat an install. There is a 210 Tranny and engine on eBay now plus2 210 trannys. Asking price 1k IIRC.

Yes No Thank
ice Avatar
HI Jim
Yes, I know about the trannys on ebay. I was the high bidder for the engine/tranny one but the guy put it on ebay again when I was the high bidder. I went thru ebay resolutions and got no satisfaction except they would put a ding on the sellers profile. So much for any guarantee by ebay. I spoke with the seller and he said he would call me back...he didn't so I let ebay handle the dispute. Actually, I have had very good luck with ebay over the years so it's no big deal. I would have liked to been able to see how the 1400 engine performed vice the 1275.
Merry Christmas!

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Yes No Thank
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
the T9 is used in Europe because they can't get the 210 (which is super rare in Europe and the T9 is super common).

The T9 weighs quite a bit more, and as Jim pointed out, requires cutting of the chassis rails.
Also, unless the shift housing is modified the shifter ends up near your elbow (and a big wonking hole is required in the top of your transmission tunnel).

Norm

Yes No Thank
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 2867789 by ice HI Jim
Yes, I know about the trannys on ebay. I was the high bidder for the engine/tranny one but the guy put it on ebay again when I was the high bidder. I went thru ebay resolutions and got no satisfaction except they would put a ding on the sellers profile. So much for any guarantee by ebay. I spoke with the seller and he said he would call me back...he didn't so I let ebay handle the dispute. Actually, I have had very good luck with ebay over the years so it's no big deal. I would have liked to been able to see how the 1400 engine performed vice the 1275.
Merry Christmas!

E-bay isn't what it used to be. In fact it gets worse every day and their guarantee isn't worth trusting. I bought a supposedly rust free fender from a e-bay seller and when I received it the rust through covered with bondo became apparent. I popped the bondo loose to show the rust holes and since I couldn't return it as I received it E-bay found in favor of the seller! Of course all feed back and communication with the seller is closed after their finding. I applied for it to be appealed but, of course, have heard nothing.

Kurt

Yes No Thank
ice Avatar
Kurt

Yes, seems like ebay is becoming increasingly difficult to trust. Not sure what will happen in this case but I have a ref number ebay gave me and I will continue to ask them what is happening to the case.
At first I thought the seller was going to be ok and we could work something out with some other parts he had but turns out this apparently was not the case.
I'm betting the seller and buyer are a member of this forum as well. I won't say anything anything further than that.

kurt

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Yes No Thank
Richb Richard Ball
Everett, Wa, USA   USA
You might want to do a little research before you but a Merkur T9. While the US Merkur and the Sierra are petty much the same car, I have read that they used different engines and that the Merkur T9 has a longer input shaft than the Sierra T9 (which is what the T9 kit uses). I don't have any first hand knowledge of this, but might be worth checking on before you buy.

Rich Ball
'76 Midget
Everett, Wa

Rich Ball
'76 Midget
Everett, WA

Yes No Thank
ice Avatar
thnx Rich
I have had good luck with the Datsun trannys so I believe I will stick with them. I had seen a t-9 on ebay and wondered if anyone had tried them but now with the feedback I got I will wonder about them no more!

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Yes No Thank
KenAdkison Avatar
KenAdkison Gold Member Ken Adkison
Shelton, WA, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB
Getting parts for the T-9 is getting very hard even in the UK.

Ken Adkison

1975 MGB restored in 2009 to near stock. 2012 - 2016 engine management development program and test driving.
Stock 18V bottom end with 9.8:1 compression and mild APT VP11 cam .
Crossflow aluminum 7-port, big valve, head and Moss heritage exhaust. T-9 5-speed.

Bespoke modern closed loop, port fuel injection system based around MegaSquirt MS-Pro controller.
Hand made intake, wiring and other parts.

www.adkison.name/mgb/

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster