Master cylinder upgrade?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rsawyer Randall Sawyer
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
My midget currently has the earlier combination brake/clutch master cylinder. I would feel safer having separate master cylinders. Ideally, the brake master cylinder would be dual circuit since I've upgraded the rear brakes to discs.

Is it straight forward to swap the combination master cylinder for the individual master cylinders? Is there a drop in dual circuit brake master cylinder?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
I don't know if this will help but the original owner of my 73 put in a Tilton brand system. I'm not sure if it is still available. I like it better than the original equipment. It might be available from a race equipment supplier. I would love to see pics of your car when you get done.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
No, there is no drop in dual circuit brake master. Changing to a dual circuit brake master will require cutting the footwell to accomodate the later wider pedal box assembly that uses a separate clutch master and dual circuit brake master. The Tilton stuff is very good, but again isn't just a drop in affair. Most Tilton serups use three separate masters with a balance bar between the two brake masters to allow for adjusting the front/rear brake bias.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
Its a good idea to pursue and not that difficult to do.

I have a spare pedal box and pedals for the later master cylinders, which are widely available, and much less expensive than Tilton. I can include a template for cutting.

You will make a small opening wider and shorter than the one you now have... cover the rest of the current hole with a spare piece of sheet metal (or old license plate) and epoxy it on.

BTW, your Midget has a packaway top and a shared master cylinder? Then its a 1966 Midget Mk II, produced Sept 1966 or earlier.

1967 Midgets have a folding top and came with separate masters for brake and clutch.

MG drivers outlook:

. . . . . "Anyone going slower than you drives like a MORON, and anybody driving faster is a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
I’ve done the conversion on my 62 . It’s not that hard if you can cut and weld . I used a 1971 as a donor

owdlvr Dave Hord
Squamish, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3885708 by ken472 I don't know if this will help but the original owner of my 73 put in a Tilton brand system. I'm not sure if it is still available. I like it better than the original equipment. It might be available from a race equipment supplier. I would love to see pics of your car when you get done.

I'd like to see photos of this setup...

ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
I can probably get a photo later today

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
RANDALL: I have done four of them. You will need a later model pedal box. Some MINOR cutting is required. Some new steel lines need to be made. The old pedal box is longer than the later one so a small filler piece is needed for the front edge. Care must be taken to ensure the pedal travel inside the car is correct. All the ones I have done were on "Bugeye's", so it might be a little different on an early midget, but I am not sure. It should be the same. All the stuff I do is more custom kind of stuff so I re-routed the brake lines to the driver's side of the car. Here are some pictures. Hope this helps. smileys with beer

In reply to # 3885695 by rsawyer My midget currently has the earlier combination brake/clutch master cylinder. I would feel safer having separate master cylinders. Ideally, the brake master cylinder would be dual circuit since I've upgraded the rear brakes to discs.

Is it straight forward to swap the combination master cylinder for the individual master cylinders? Is there a drop in dual circuit brake master cylinder?

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:

Attachments:
Misscel projects 012.jpg    60.6 KB
Misscel projects 012.jpg

Bug Eye Progress 003.jpg    43.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Bug Eye Progress 002.jpg    33.5 KB
Bug Eye Progress 005.jpg    64.5 KB
owdlvr Dave Hord
Squamish, Canada   CAN
Those are awesome, thanks!

Pretty much the plan when my current (and new) combo cylinder fails.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
wow, those brake lines look like a tight fit to the wiper motor

on the '68~ cars the wiper motor was moved to the angled face of the "inner fender" (attached), to make room for the collapsible steering column

Attachments:
engine in 1.jpg    68.3 KB
engine in 1.jpg

mid install.jpg    71.1 KB
ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
Here’s a couple pics of my ride. Tilton brake master cylinder and Lockheed clutch. It has aluminum brake lines that I have never seen before

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-06 04:25 PM by ken472.

Attachments:
8E79BE22-7BEB-40A3-A784-26DF8D1780C7.jpeg    33.2 KB
8E79BE22-7BEB-40A3-A784-26DF8D1780C7.jpeg

F15EF474-D4DE-41C8-AFC3-423D0A2CFB50.jpeg    40.2 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster