Lifting points to remove engine

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

pbcjr peter cantamessa
east brunswick, NJ, USA   USA
As soon as spring rolls around here in NJ and things warm up, I'm going to remove the engine from my '71 for some work.
I've seen that some people use as the lifting points on the engine (to attach the engine hoist) the two studs the valve cover bolts to. Moss even sells a pair of "L" brackets for that purpose.
Those valve cover studs look to be about 1/4" diameter, and not very confidence-inspiring to me, so I'm wondering if that's the standard (and safe) place to attach the hoist's chain, or if there's a more safe and secure location.
And FWIW, I'll be removing the engine and transmission as a unit.
Also - Any idea on the combined weight of the engine and trans?

Thanks!
Pete

1971 Midget.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Panathinaikos55 Avatar
Lansing, MI, USA   USA
I pulled my engine/trans last winter in my '71 and tried those L brackets from Moss Motors. I didn't care for them and gave up after a bit and just attached to the exhaust manifold bolts on one side, and on to the starter & Alternator bolt on the other.

Yes No Thank
66Sprite Avatar
66Sprite David R
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
The weights I have for the A engine is 250 lbs and gearbox 35 lbs and 83 lbs for rear axle

A single 1/4" grade 5 bolt would easily carry that weight, the ultimate strength of a bolt this size is over 3000 lbs. I'm not suggesting it's a good idea to use just a single bolt, but for strength alone you're fine.

Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
The valve cover studs are plenty strong enough. But I prefer to use the front exhaust manifold stud and the top transmission bolt on the distributor side of the engine.

+1 Yes No Thank
  Tony Dambrosio thanked refisk for this post
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
the valve cover studs are what the factory used, and as David pointed out they are more than plenty strong enough

However, as the others have pointed out, you can lift it from just about anywhere that makes you happy.

Yes No Thank
PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
I use a tie down strap at each end of the oil pan as a sling. The ratchets let you tilt, too.

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (608) 223-9400 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
Yes No Thank
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 3896205 by PeterC I use a tie down strap at each end of the oil pan as a sling. The ratchets let you tilt, too.

Good idea.....I purchased an expensive Oberg tilt lift for the tilting bit. I do love it and it is definitely necessary to easily tilt the unit as you remove it but they are a little pricey.

Kurt

Yes No Thank
pbcjr peter cantamessa
east brunswick, NJ, USA   USA
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. I don't have the willies, heebie-jeebies, and the creeps anymore about using those two studs for lifting! grinning smiley
One more thing - Is it safe to use the factory nuts for the valve to attach the hoist to the two studs, or is something more robust called for?

1971 Midget.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-22 12:13 PM by pbcjr.

Yes No Thank
Richard D Avatar
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
Peter, I used the valve cover studs to pull my motor and tranny. I used a piece of angle iron spanning the two studs with Jam nuts and washers on both side of the angle iron. That kept the tension equal on both studs instead of disproportioned weight and deflection on the rear stud.
I drilled a hole in the upright leg of the angle iron to lift it from.
Several holes drilled along the leg of the upright in the angle iron will give you a choice of different balance points for the motor and tranny.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-22 12:42 PM by Richard D.

Yes No Thank
Abington, PA, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget MkIV "Rodney"
Hi Peter,

I'm a little luckier with a later '76 car. I don't know how they did it with earlier engines, but my 1500 actually has a front lift ring that bolts to the head as part of the top alternator adjust bracket. Per the shop manual, there are suppose to be 2 lifting sites on the engine's rear ahead of the trans but I don't see them. The last time my engine was out was in 1981, and I've forgotten a lot. At my age these days if I need a clutch or trans work I'll send the car out. Best wishes for good results in your work. I'm impressed.

Regards,

Richard

Yes No Thank
Tony Dambrosio Avatar
Tony Dambrosio Silver Member Anthony D'Ambrosio
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
Hey Rick, Getting ready to pull my motor and trans. Saw your reply and wondering if you used a chain and how long. Or??
Thanks in advance, Tony

Yes No Thank
NelsonW Silver Member Nelson W
Medina, OH, USA   USA
1962 Austin-Healey Sprite "Little Mo"
I just removed my engine and found the Horrible Fright tilt mechanism to work well. Also, it was suggested to me that I put blocks under the rear wheels to get a head start on the tilt.

Original owner
1962 Sprite "Little Mo"

Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Hi Tony,

Like Nelson I use a Harbor Freight load leveler on my engine hoist. It makes it very easy to adjust the angle of the engine/trans as you guide it out of the car.

Rick

In reply to # 3906573 by Tony Dambrosio Hey Rick, Getting ready to pull my motor and trans. Saw your reply and wondering if you used a chain and how long. Or??
Thanks in advance, Tony

Attachments:
6D3D08E6-E60A-47D7-8E54-B20C61DA562E.jpeg    27.8 KB
6D3D08E6-E60A-47D7-8E54-B20C61DA562E.jpeg

Yes No Thank
hpmowog Avatar
hpmowog Karl Keiger
I use a simple nylon sling, made from either a rope or strap with the two ends tied together. With a loop below each end of the oil pan, it leaves two parallel loops running longitudinally at the top of the engine which you hang on the hook. There is enough friction between the sling and the hook that you can tilt the engine by hand and it will stay at the angle you tilted it to.

I also have one of the those tilt-a-whirl devices but rarely use it (e.g. for pulling V8s). The sling method is simpler and less hassle to use for Spridget engines.

Just make sure you know how to tie knots (or call a Boyscout to help you).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-11 11:10 AM by hpmowog.

Yes No Thank
Gord in Rockburn Avatar
Gord in Rockburn Gordon Clark
Hinchinbrooke, Rockburn, Qué., Canada   CAN
I have a "Big Red" engine hoist that I use for engines. Like you, I thought the 'L' brackets on a flimsy ¼" bolt looked risky, so I have been using straps ever since, and I have collected about a dozen in different lengths. I also have the Engine load leveler, which makes life easy. I'm 86 and can do it alone. Without it, I needed a second body for help in muscling the engine out of the bay.

Pulled a 302 out of a Mustang last fall. That combination of equipment made it easy - highly recommended.

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.

+1 Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster