The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live   Read the announcement
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Is it a Good Idea to re-torque head to stop oil weepage from head gasket?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pjuneau Avatar
Pjuneau Paul J
Newcastle, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget MkIV "ShaSha"
I have slight weepage of oil coming from my 1500 head gasket. Nothing big, just another item to clean after each drive.
Is it dangerous to loosen then re-torque the head bolts? Do I just accept the fact that it is a 43 year old engine, and a little weepage is normal and not to tempt fate by trying to fix this? Thanks all.......

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
A retorque and valve adjustment is never a bad thing to do, and is a "must to do" after a few heat cycles after installing a new head gasket. It could fix it, but you may be doing a new head gasket in the future, if so, go with the Payen black head gasket.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
+2 Yes No Thank
  Pjuneau and recordsj thanked Speedracer for this post
Chris mgbgt Avatar
Chris mgbgt Christopher Adams
Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, UK   GBR
If It were me I would slacken each Bolt/ a turn then re torque ,

That may well do it

Yes No Thank
jmac Avatar
jmac Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1971 MG Midget "Joy Ride"
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
I won't hurt.

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

Member Services:
Midget/Spitfire 1500 engine rebuilding.
Yes No Thank
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
it is maybe worth a try , but it also probably won't work

Once the head gasket has been compressed by the intended amount, if it is leaking, in my experience, trying to squish it further won't eliminate the leak because the head torque procedure is designed to even out the forces all over the sealing face as much as possible, preventing it from being able to locally squish one leaky part.

Note that over torquing the head, in a futile attempt to stop a leak will only lead to a warped head, or to stretched (no longer able to hold the torque) head studs, or pulled up block steel around the base of the studs (interfering with head sealing)

I had a head that leaked at the front oil hole, even after having the head planed, even after replacing the gasket more than once, so John Twist took a single strand of copper wire (from a lamp cord) and made a little ring out of it and laid that around the oil hole, on top of a new gasket and that worked.

Next time I had it apart (many years later) I used a black Payen gasket and had no trouble. Back in the day we normally used the sliver ones from Moss, now I know better! Rover developed the Payen head gasket for the A+ 1275 in the mini to eliminate this kind of nonsense.

N

Yes No Thank
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
WELL: If it towards the REAR, more on the Drivers side, than it is probably one of two possibilities. The cross drilling for the rocker assy oil feed is leaking. 1/4" bolt and copper washer at the rear edge of the block. OR YOU DONT WANT TO HEAR THIS. It is the actual oil feed hole up from the rear cam bearing into the head, again oil feed for the rocker assembly. If it IS. WELL, I have had two that did that. I had to install a "RED VITRON" "O" ring in the surface of the block and slightly open up the head gasket hole to accommodate it. Keep your fingers crossed with the Re-Torque. Good Luck.

In reply to # 3907949 by Pjuneau I have slight weepage of oil coming from my 1500 head gasket. Nothing big, just another item to clean after each drive.
Is it dangerous to loosen then re-torque the head bolts? Do I just accept the fact that it is a 43 year old engine, and a little weepage is normal and not to tempt fate by trying to fix this? Thanks all.......

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster