AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jlpor Avatar
jlpor John Parker
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Background:
Finished a 5 speed transmission conversion. Initial tests all positive. Took the car out for a good test, Highway speeds a fun twist road home. All is well. Noticed the left rear tire was low and stopped to fill it to get home.

Removed left rear tire to take it to the shop. Later noticed a puddle of MT90 gear oil under the hub. Is it possible the lug nuts helped hold the seal on the axle? is there any relationship to going really fast the first time to causing a leak at that point?

Pulling it apart this weekend to replace the seals and gaskets (both sides).

Just wondering???

BTW - I love the 5 speed. I think it still could use a 3.7 though.

Thanks guys,
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-13 01:40 PM by jlpor.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
westfield7 Silver Member Michael Wooten
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1983 Westfield Seven "Green Car"
In reply to # 3908092 by jlpor ... Is it possible the lug nuts helped hold the seal on the axle? ...

Yes. Although there is a screw that holds the axle shaft to the hub the lug nuts supply the main sealing force.

Yes No Thank
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Yes, the lug nuts hold it if the screw not tight enough. I tighten the screw by putting a couple washers on at least two studs, put two lug nuts on and tighten, now tighten screw. It has worked for me, you may need to do the same to loosen it again.

Yes No Thank
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Your brake drum should be pretty well oiled now so you might as well pull it, clean it, and tighten the screw.

Kurt

Yes No Thank
jlpor Avatar
jlpor John Parker
Portland, OR, USA   USA
I just purchased the kit from Moss. I am going to look at the bearings also. Any tips?

Thanks Kurt

Yes No Thank
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Take that stupid gasket and oring and throw them both away and us 3M Ultra Black instead and it’ll never leak again. Get new shoes too as youlll never get the oil out of them.

Yes No Thank
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Hopefully the shoes aren't oiled yet, George. If he just pulled the wheel and noticed the oil dripping out there is probably not much on them yet. If they aren't saturated I've been able to clean them up with gasoline or turpentine. If saturated George has the plan for the shoes.

Kurt

Yes No Thank
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
here is an article from the Library which might be useful, regarding rear wheel bearings and so on

https://www.mgexp.com/article/midget-rear-axle-knowledge.html

Yes No Thank
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3908379 by GeorgeOhr Take that stupid gasket and oring and throw them both away and us 3M Ultra Black instead and it’ll never leak again. Get new shoes too as youlll never get the oil out of them.

Yep, I also recommend after sealing up the hub and axles to bolt the wheels on as the RTV dries. I modded my SCCA Sprite race cars axles,and hub to have 4 screws, instead of one. George's recommendation of Permatex Ultra Black is key, sealing up Spidget hubs and axles is what sold me on the this RTV, the Right Stuff is essentially the same stuff, just dries faster, I always gave UB 24 hours to fully cure.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
Yes No Thank
New Hyde Park, NY, USA   USA
Start by replacing the rear hub oil seals. If they are bad you will never get rid of the leaking oil.

Yes No Thank
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
...since the leak began only after a wheel was removed, and that leak is a known characteristic of this axle design, when a wheel is removed, I don't suspect the hub oil seals have anything to do with it.

Yes No Thank
New Hyde Park, NY, USA   USA
When I first started playing around with Sprodgets back in the 70's I can't count how many hub gaskets and o rings and shoes for that matter
before I realized there was a inner oil seal.. Live and learn I guess

Yes No Thank
jlpor Avatar
jlpor John Parker
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Thanks Hap,

That engine we built is a monster (for a 1330). Thanks for the great help. I still think she could use a 3.7.

jp

Yes No Thank
atm92484 Avatar
atm92484 Andrew M
Pittsburgh, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3908439 by Speedracer
In reply to # 3908379 by GeorgeOhr Take that stupid gasket and oring and throw them both away and us 3M Ultra Black instead and it’ll never leak again. Get new shoes too as youlll never get the oil out of them.

Yep, I also recommend after sealing up the hub and axles to bolt the wheels on as the RTV dries. I modded my SCCA Sprite race cars axles,and hub to have 4 screws, instead of one. George's recommendation of Permatex Ultra Black is key, sealing up Spidget hubs and axles is what sold me on the this RTV, the Right Stuff is essentially the same stuff, just dries faster, I always gave UB 24 hours to fully cure.

I went to 4 bolts on the racecar and stopped using RTV, the stock gasket, and stock o-ring and only use an x-ring in the correct diameter. Always having at least two bolts on opposite sites combined with the lower sealing forced required for the x-ring has worked really well and I don't have to clean up RTV or other goop when I pull an axle.

When the time comes to remove the street car's axles, I'll give them the same treatment.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster