How is lower part of fender attached?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

phoffman Peter Hoffman
Miller Place, NY, USA   USA
I am working on a 1070 Midget that has some rust (hah hah).
I have attached a picture of the area in question. The attachment point for the lower part of the right side fender has rusted away and I will be welding in new sheet metal.
The question is how is the lower part attached as I can see no way to get at it from under or from within to weld it to top of rocker.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
midget fender.jpg    61.7 KB
midget fender.jpg

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
take off the interior trim panel (black vinyl coated piece of cardboard, held on by a bunch of black posi head screws - note they are NOT Philips heads and the heads may strip if you use one on them, if you get a posi drive they should come out super easy), behind it you will find the bolts holding that portion of the fender onto the body

73midget Avatar
73midget Chris Edwards
Garland, TX, USA   USA
there are 4 bolts in each footwell, 3 that are vertically lined up near the A pillar and one further forward towards where the passengers feet would be.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
phoffman Peter Hoffman
Thanks, I found the bolt, unfortunately, there is nothing left of the part that attaches to the bolt.
I will fabricate a new piece to fit that.

66Sprite Avatar
66Sprite David R
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
Maybe this helps?

Attachments:
IMG_5108a.jpg    56.6 KB
IMG_5108a.jpg

phoffman Peter Hoffman
Seeing how cheap Moss's lower fender repair piece was I just ordered it.
Still require welding to existing fender.

CtMGDude John R
New Fairfield, CT, USA   USA
Welder, an M.G.'s best friend. If you don't have one, make sure you get a modern square wave one, you get a much better weld. A decent Mig welder does not cost much either. You couldn't go into production with it, but it will last you years otherwise. My last Mig lasted 25 years, and in that time, I never purchased an exhaust system, just dropped then and removed offending parts, and welded in new ones, much like the M.G.'s. smiling smiley

mfelmlee Matt Felmlee
Greensboro, NC, USA   USA
Hi, I ordered a bolt kit from Moss and it comes with several straight blade screw driver nuts and bolts and the rest are hex nuts. Where do the straight blades go?

Thanks,
Matt

Ashley-Hinton Avatar
Ashley-Hinton Ashley Hinton
Gt Bookham, Surrey, UK   GBR
Hi you can make a repair with the front wing repair panel I make
LH or RH side two types 1962 to 1974 1098cc & 1275cc cars and 1974 to 1979 1500cc cars
hope that helps you let me know you got the message ok
Regards Ashley Hinton

Attachments:
DSC01294.JPG    12 KB
DSC01294.JPG

phoffman Peter Hoffman
Ashley,
Thanks, already welded in the parts. I see you have the door posts and other parts that I had to make from scratch.
Well, if I ever do another one I will get them from you.

Ashley-Hinton Avatar
Ashley-Hinton Ashley Hinton
Gt Bookham, Surrey, UK   GBR
Hi Peter yes we make lots of parts for classic cars some photos for you
I have been making parts for 44 years now
Regards Ashley Hinton

Attachments:
DSC01264 (1).JPG    19.1 KB
DSC01264 (1).JPG

DSC01463 (1).JPG    22.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSC01469.JPG    24.4 KB
DSC00457.JPG    18.3 KB
Abington, PA, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget MkIV "Rodney"
HI Peter,

That piece of steel body is available from Victoria British see: http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/sm/full.aspx?Page=15

I think Moss Motors also has it. British Motor Heritage (BMH) is still stamping out Midget and MGB bodies and pieces. Much easier to buy a price and put it on than making it from scratch. The pieces come primed.

Richard

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
In reply to # 3887252 by mfelmlee Hi, I ordered a bolt kit from Moss and it comes with several straight blade screw driver nuts and bolts and the rest are hex nuts. Where do the straight blades go?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt, IIRC, the straight screw driver heads are the ones at the radiator slam panel (two each side perpendicular to fender edges and one more at the top of the fender flange right at the cowl. Do you have a total of 6 straight blade screws?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster