Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

How do i repair corroded battery shelf ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

javalone Avatar
javalone joe avalone
pompton lakes, NJ, USA   USA
Hello everyone,

I just removed my heater box for cleaning and repainting. When removing the battery, I noticed some rust corrosion under battery. A few holes all the way through. beside painting with an anti rust paint. How can i repait it?

I was thinking about cutting a piece of sheet metal, and bending it up along the sides and screw it into a side wall, then prime and paint the entire area? ANY SUGGESTIONS

ALSO- One more thing, when i encounter areas of alot of surface rust inside or underneath , is is sufficient to sand as best i can and then use one of those paints that are made to go over rust, then after that prime and paint my preferred color.

I want the engine compartment to look nice, but don't have the tools or knowhow, to lift engine out and fully restore the entire engine compartment.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Astrostrat89 Avatar
Astrostrat89 Jeffrey Jankosky
london, USA   USA
1971 MG Midget MkIII "Blue Meanie"
PO on my car fixed it with a piece of cut sheet metal and it works. But they didn't try to take care of the rust underneath.

before

Under the sheet metal.

Clean up and paint

I don't have a good pic of it but I painted the sheet metal and put it back on. I'm just trying to "stop the bleeding" and I know I'm going to have to dig back into it later to fix it correctly. But it's stable and looks a lot better. Also I am not trying to do a full restore either. So that just depends on what you want personally. I just brushed it on since I'm not looking to make it all shiny or anything. Regular semigloss rust-oleum. A few different types of wire wheels on a cordless drill helps a lot.

I've got to pull the engine soon to replace the clutch, and I'll try to spend some time clean up the under side and painting for nothing other then rust issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-21 09:50 AM by Astrostrat89.

kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, IA, USA   USA
Weld or epoxy it in place. Screws will work loose and are a poor way to repairing body panels. There is plenty of information about rust paints in the library or by using the search features.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail PLEASE for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match most retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
techspecial Avatar
techspecial Silver Member Mike Pankok
Pennsville NJ, USA   USA
I wire wheeled and grinded almost all of the rust away.
Coated it with NAPA rust encapsolator spray and then fiberglassed it.
Painted it with satin black...So far no issues at all.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
WayneW Avatar
WayneW Wayne Witgenstein
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
I cut out the worst rust cancer, and then treated the remaining metal with phosphoric acid (naval jelly) to neutralize the remaining rust. I then coated it with rust neutralizing primer. I fabricated a replacement panel from stainless steel, which I attached with steel (not aluminum) rivets. The whole area was then primed. The last pic shows the engine bay after priming and painting.

-Wayne

Attachments:
batshelfbefore.jpg    49.1 KB
batshelfbefore.jpg

batshelfafter.jpg    40.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
batshelfprimed.jpg    36.4 KB
batshelffinal.jpg    57.7 KB
James E Avatar
James E Silver Member Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, VA, USA   USA
Looks good Jeffery and Wayne. Joe what you said will work just use steel pop-rivits, like Robert said the screws will work loose. I took the whole shelf top out of my 71 and cut and welded a shelf back in. On my 73 I just removed the damaged metal out (under the battery) and rivited a piece back in. Some purest will take the whole shelf and heater ducts out and weld all new back in. But after all, what does it do? Holds the battery.

MGMANN Avatar
MGMANN CHARLIE MANNEBACK
Northern, New Jersey, USA   USA
Hi, Joe. I sent you a PM.
Charlie

kysleddogs Avatar
kysleddogs 1965 MG Midget
KY, USA   USA
depending on level of fix, you can replace the entire shelf with a replacement, moss or vb should have one, or at least they used to

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
I am with Kyle on this, while the above patches are very workable, and will be hardly noticeable once the car is all put back together, if you are doing body work anyway, it is very nice to simply replace the entire assembly. BMH manufactures them, and so they are available through all of the usual sources. I bought mine from a UK supplier for less than $75 and it made the whole area like new. The assembly includes the ducting underneath, new threaded areas for the clutch line clamps and heater box screws, and eliminates the bent up mess caused by many clumsy engine out jobs (DPO).

Just make sure that you get the right one for your year (the size of the heater hole, and whether there is a starter relay bracket or not (early version)).

Norm

Attachments:
battery tray.JPG    50.7 KB
battery tray.JPG

BlueMax1 Avatar
BlueMax1 A G
?, ?, USA   USA
2x Norm
If you can repair the battery box that would be a huge time savings in time, work, of coarse expense. In my case I had no alternative but to replace mine. If you have to replace the box, being able to get to the spot welds on the bottom will be back braking if you don’t have a rotisserie to provide accessibility to the area and the ability to rework the metal back into shape after the old box is cut out. Photo is after work was done prier to car being glass beaded.

Attachments:
Copy of P1030237.JPG    48.5 KB
Copy of P1030237.JPG

hoggie Avatar
hoggie Mike Hogan
Oklahoma City, OK, USA   USA
After you have the battery shelf treated to your satisfaction. Get a marine battery box to set your batter in. It will make everything around your battery last much longer.

Davenport, IA, USA   USA
Another solution for any midget TC to Leyland, is a glass mat battery. I believe Norm opted for that and it's what I use in all my Midgets and Sprites.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com

Member Services:
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
Yep, battery tray corrosion is so 20th century. Get a glass mat battery and laugh at sulphuric acid and its corrosive fumes!

Norm

bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Silver Member Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, WA, USA   USA
I'm going to suggest using the bonding materials (along with Robert) that are commonly available from any body shop over screws or rivets. The fix is permanent and won't give. Also, do us a glass mat battery.

Davenport, IA, USA   USA
My body shop buddies, 3 brothers, invited me to sit in on a demo of the epoxy. The physically smoke when put together and can hold the hood scoop on a Pro Street dragster. By some measures, stronger than a weld. Pretty impressive. I stayed awake thru the entire class period and got a certificate to prove it....smoking smiley

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster