AutoShrine Sponsor

Fuel Gauge Reading
  This topic is about my 1972 MG Midget MkIII
Figman123 Avatar
Figman123 Silver Member Herivan Figueroa
Harvest, AL, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "FIG72"
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some guidance here, my fuel gauge is reading full when the sending unit is on the empty side. Once I move the sending unit buoy to the full side, the gauge starts reading toward empty and stops at the half point. Any guidance to fix this issue?

Mr. Fig

Mr. Fig
FIG72

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
taylorschone Taylor Schone
St. George, UT, USA   USA
I accidentally ended up with a new spare when I replaced mine if you end up needing a new one, got it from Moss.

1972 Midget - Aqua/Navy

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
That issue has come up before and I believe it is a wiring or grounding issue but really don't remember. Check the archives.

Kurt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Figman123 Avatar
Harvest, AL, USA   USA
Well I ran the test by grounding the positive connector to the chassis and the gauge read full. My understanding is by doing that it checks "ok" the electric line and the gauge. Maybe a bad sending unit? any other suggestions?

Fig

Mr. Fig
FIG72

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-03 07:10 AM by Figman123.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Probably something you don't really want to do but the next move I think is to pull the sending unit. Anything else that might point to the sending unit? Recently removed tank? Rust in the tank? They are usually quite reliable but sometimes the resistance wire on the unit breaks and wear will sometimes keep the contact from running on the nichrome resistance wire.

Kurt

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 3867040 by Figman123 Well I ran the test by grounding the positive connector to the chassis and the gauge read full. My understanding is that doing that it checks "ok" the electric line and the gauge. Maybe a bad sending unit? any other suggestions?

Fig

That check confirms the wiring and gauge are okay so that means you need a new sending unit.. remember the new plastic sender units need an extra earth wire as they do not earth direct to the tank like the old ones .

Attachments:
020.JPG    30.6 KB
020.JPG

Figman123 Avatar
Harvest, AL, USA   USA
Now that I was able to test the gauge and the line, my dilemma now is to get the right sending unit. I looked in Moss Auto Euro and there are three different units. See link below, any suggestions?

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/mg/midget/fuel-system-induction-controls/tanks-pumps-pipes-fittings/fuel-tank-pump-fittings-sprite-midget-1275-1500cc.html

Mr. Fig
FIG72

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-07 08:53 PM by Figman123.

taylorschone Taylor Schone
St. George, UT, USA   USA
Here is my spare if you want it. It’s correct for a 72’ Midget, I just installed one in my new tank. Works perfectly.

1972 Midget - Aqua/Navy

Attachments:
081921AD-BC52-44BF-969F-37A9C6D56CCE.jpeg    31.6 KB
081921AD-BC52-44BF-969F-37A9C6D56CCE.jpeg

6B3EC585-9F7E-4454-9CE3-78A5D3922730.jpeg    27.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
0EBF6DF6-606B-4C74-AED4-761348622258.jpeg    17.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
BRA 960 is the correct one, Note the terminal with the blue spot is unused and should have an insulator already on it.

Figman123 Avatar
Harvest, AL, USA   USA
Taylor:

Thanks! it worked!

Mr. Fig
FIG72

Don Midget 2 Avatar
Don Midget 2 Don Williams
Oakbank, Adelaide Hills, South Australia, Australia   AUS
Others will chime in but I'm pretty sure it is just a matter of swapping the two wires. On the back of the gauge or at the sender? Not sure which.
I didn't see the other comments. Looks like you sorted it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 08:02 PM by Don Midget 2.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster