Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Spitz Avatar
Spitz Matthew T
PA, SK, Canada   CAN
I'm looking at fitting a front sway bar kit ( 3/4" )

I cannot see a "kit" at MOSS, and I won't deal with VB.

Has anyone used this kit and does it include everything needed? I can't tell if the links are there.

https://www.spridgetmania.com/part/131ADDCO/Sway-Bar-Front-3-4-Competition--Sprite--Mg-Midget

Thanks

( 73 Midget )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-07 11:10 AM by Spitz.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
I've used that bar kit and it is a bit "agricultural" ... I think this one looks a bit more refined:
https://www.spridget.com/product-page/sway-bar-front-3-4-all-spridgets

Yes No Thank
minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, NC, USA   USA
If you are going that big, reputation says you will need to reinforce the frame where the bar mounts.

Bob Marcum

1959 AH Bugeye Sprite
1960 Morris Minor Tourer
Ex Mini Vintage Racer

Yes No Thank
dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Dave Rhine
Columbia, SC, USA   USA
I installed that kit a while back. The 3/4" bar definitely improved the handling.
I took a chance & didn't reinforce the mounts & got away with for a few years, but then the frame horns started cracking.
I welded up the cracks & welded over some of the spot welds. No problems for a few years now.
If I have problems in the future, I'll actually do the reinforcement right...

Like I said, I used that kit & my car handles much better than with the original 9/16(?) bar.
For me, it was money well spent, but just be mindful that the bar to frame mounts should be reinforced.

Good Luck

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it until it is! winking smiley

Yes No Thank
Spitz Avatar
Spitz Matthew T
PA, SK, Canada   CAN
Thanks for the info so far.
Is the kit i linked to the actual kit you got?

Someone have a picture to remind me of the area neefing strengthening? Too damn cold still to get out to the shop

Yes No Thank
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Jack Orkin (74MGMidget) gave me mine for just shipping costs! (Thanks again brother, you are tops in my book!)

I have the first one pictured and I love it. You can use the rear sway bar links from a TR6 to make it a bit more stock looking. The cool thing about that design is you can “tune” it some by tightening or loosening the nut.

That changes the clearance and compression of the bushings which both softens and delays the bar coming “on” the looser you run it.

I really dig my bar and I wouldn’t ever go back to stock. I have rough roads here so I run mine as loose as I can and it still handles great and rides good.

Reinforce your mounts before you put it on. No sense in having to go back to do it right AND fix cracks too.

“Never enough time to do it right but ALWAYS enough time to do it twice”

winking smiley

Yes No Thank
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
My car came with the anti sway bar. how do I know if the frames have been reinforced? What to look for?

Yes No Thank
Richard D Avatar
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
I've searched re-enforcing the sway bar frame mounts in the archives, is the additional of a single plate on each side adequate or is there a more preferred (structurally sound) method of tying both sides together?

thanks

Yes No Thank
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Having fitted several 3/4" bars I personally would recommend a 11/16" bar for the street. Besides needing to re-enforce the frame mounts I've had a spring pan break where the bar mounts. On rough roads a 3/4" bar can feel a little jarring as well.

Kurt

+1 Yes No Thank
  littlecars thanked S1 Elan for this post
1275midget Avatar
1275midget Mike's 73 Midget
over, hill and dale, USA   USA
In reply to # 3904935 by S1 Elan Having fitted several 3/4" bars I personally would recommend a 11/16" bar for the street. Besides needing to re-enforce the frame mounts I've had a spring pan break where the bar mounts. On rough roads a 3/4" bar can feel a little jarring as well.

Kurt

This was my experience also. Not being a racer, I pulled the 3/4" and down sized to the 11/16". Good response without the truck feel.

Yes No Thank
1275midget Avatar
1275midget Mike's 73 Midget
over, hill and dale, USA   USA
After reviewing my rebuild photos, (its been a few years), I ultimately placed a 5/8" bar kit from Moss UK. They had this nice write up on their recommendation.

The photo shows the 3/4" kit from 'The Winners Circle'. And the parts kit for the 5/8" kit.

Attachments:
DSCN7235.JPG    46.4 KB
DSCN7235.JPG

DSCN7234.JPG    50.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSCN7233.JPG    42.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3904935 by S1 Elan Having fitted several 3/4" bars I personally would recommend a 11/16" bar for the street. Besides needing to re-enforce the frame mounts I've had a spring pan break where the bar mounts. On rough roads a 3/4" bar can feel a little jarring as well.

Kurt

Run the first bar as described yields a ride as soft as stock but the bar is there when you turn in. The roads here are third world at best and mine rides smooth like this.

Yes No Thank
ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Chuck, look under the frt "horns" and you will see a piece of 1/4" X 3" (or so) oblong steel plate that the roll bar hardware mounts to. This is the mounting plate that you need to reinforce. I made larger piece 1/4 x 4 1/2" that fit over the OEM plate and welded it all around as well as welding it on the OEM mounting plate. Doing that made additional area to support the mounting hardware. If you have not done so sooner or later your chances of having the OEM mounting plate will fail by metal fatigue around it. I have a 5/8" roll bar on the 71 and I eventually I had to reinforce both sides.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Yes No Thank
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Currently 3 cars with 3/4" bars and one with 11/16". The 3/4" bars are one Adco, one factory and one Winners circle as Trevor mentioned. Just bought the Winners Circle bar for $75 on flea bay missing a bracket. All the bars were cheap used and that is mainly what has determined their purchase.

Yes, I'm a Spridget junkie.......eye rolling smiley

Kurt

Yes No Thank
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Thanks Larry. I'll check it out.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster