AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

marquismarque Mark Lawton
Coquitlam, BC, Canada   CAN
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB "Killer B"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB
Hi all, I recently took on a 71 midget project. I was thinking it would be cool to make the fenders and hood flip forward like my etype. Is there any tricks or tips I should know before i tackle this? Is there a kit available? I dont want to buy a kit but could use some pictures of the parts so i can make it myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
Racers often did this, so check with Winners Circle, Spridget Mania etc, or ask over on the motorsports forum.

However, the front fenders don't obstruct much access... the unit body has an integral inner fender so you're not going to expose the suspension as on an E-type.

I have seen at least one Spridget converted to a front hinged hood... that seems like it would be very useful, and maybe easier to accomplish.

BTW, fiberglas replacements are available for the hood and fenders, or a one piece nose. They weight 50% of the steel parts, save a total of 40 pounds or so. See Dave Craddock on here.

MG drivers outlook:

. . . . . "Anyone driving slower than your MG is a MORON, and anyone who passes you is a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

+1 Yes No Thank
  marquismarque thanked 200mph for this post
66Sprite Avatar
66Sprite David R
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS

+1 Yes No Thank
  marquismarque thanked 66Sprite for this post
200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
Sorry Larry, I had forgotten whose car it was with the forward tilting hood. Thanks David for the reminder.

My Alfa Spiders both had front hinged hoods... two big advantages...

1) very easy underhood access to everything... and never banged my head on the hood.

2) No worries about the latch coming undone and the hood flying up in your face.

MG drivers outlook:

. . . . . "Anyone driving slower than your MG is a MORON, and anyone who passes you is a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

+1 Yes No Thank
  marquismarque thanked 200mph for this post
ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Thnx Dave, Hi Mike, yep guess that was mine in the pics. Like you mentioned about the frt tilting hinges, it exposes almost everything, allowing easy access to do maintenance or just tinker with things. With the regular tilt hood sections with the fenders attached you do get some more exposure to work on the engine but not a great deal. There is a kit for tilting a one piece hood on Ebay, I think it runs nearly $140 or so.
PM me if you have further questions!

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

+1 Yes No Thank
  marquismarque thanked ice for this post
1275nme Silver Member Ron Hermanson
CA, USA   USA
1968 MG Midget "The Red Car"
Doing a forward tilt front end takes a bit of work. I did my 68 and found others who have done the same. So, if you want to go for it you will need to remove everything forward of the fire wall. Take the hood off, it is easy. Now look at where you fenders attach to the fire wall and on both inside the foot wells. Some of the bolts may be rusted and break off. The fenders attach to the front of the frame with two bolts on each side.. These can be a bear to get off. . if so, use heat. .

Take the front bumper and grill off. The valance is connected to the radiator surround at a couple of points. Once you disconnect the front parts you will have the basic parts for the forward tilt conversion. Look on EBay for the front parts. about $140.00. Just type in Bug Eye hood tilt and you should find it. I made my own. Speed well has an aluminum kit for sale. . These were first made for Bug Eyes. You just need to do more work to get it done. Some guys have the hood valance and fenders welded. I bolted mine. This is a project that will require lots of time and could present other problems with the fit too the fire wall., I have been fine tuning mine since i got it together.

If you think you would like to take this on we can talk and I can tell you the things the got in my way.

Good luck,

Ron

+1 Yes No Thank
  marquismarque thanked 1275nme for this post
Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3908381 by 1275nme Doing a forward tilt front end takes a bit of work. I did my 68 and found others who have done the same. So, if you want to go for it you will need to remove everything forward of the fire wall. Take the hood off, it is easy. Now look at where you fenders attach to the fire wall and on both inside the foot wells. Some of the bolts may be rusted and break off. The fenders attach to the front of the frame with two bolts on each side.. These can be a bear to get off. . if so, use heat. .

Take the front bumper and grill off. The valance is connected to the radiator surround at a couple of points. Once you disconnect the front parts you will have the basic parts for the forward tilt conversion. Look on EBay for the front parts. about $140.00. Just type in Bug Eye hood tilt and you should find it. I made my own. Speed well has an aluminum kit for sale. . These were first made for Bug Eyes. You just need to do more work to get it done. Some guys have the hood valance and fenders welded. I bolted mine. This is a project that will require lots of time and could present other problems with the fit too the fire wall., I have been fine tuning mine since i got it together.

If you think you would like to take this on we can talk and I can tell you the things the got in my way.

Good luck,

Ron

Ron,

Would you please post a couple of pics showing yours open, the hinges, latching mechanism...?

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
Yes No Thank
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I guess each to his own but I can't see any reason to do this unless you are fitting a lightweight fiberglass front. Why not get rid of ugly pounds and do that. Probably help the Spridget's tendency to over steer.

Kurt

+1 Yes No Thank
  marquismarque thanked S1 Elan for this post
NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Did this many years ago where I simply welded up the fenders to the bonnet and used some gate hinges on the front chassis extension. Must have used 5 lbs of brazing rod to fill that gap.

Had to create a brace on the cowl end to go around and hold the bottom of the fenders in tight.

The arc when opening makes for an interference of fender to A post when you open.

You need to find a set of Triumph latches or use hood pins to keep the hood secured.

For every bit of clearance you gain around the rear of the engine, you lose it towards the front. Since belts and pumps and such are at the front, its not all roses.

Sure looks cool when open.

Pete

+1 Yes No Thank
  marquismarque thanked NOHOME for this post
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Sounds like it’s easier to just buy a Spitfire

-1 Yes No Thank
lewmac Avatar
lewmac Silver Member Lew McAllan
Hawthorn Woods, IL, USA   USA
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Buggy"
1968 Austin-Healey Sprite "Bluey"
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
Here is a pic or two of my '68 Mk IV Sprite ... well it used to be .... now with no square panels ... and a Sebring Fiberglass front. Gotta love the access.

Cheers
Lew

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 10:27 PM by lewmac.

Attachments:
IMG_0109.JPG    53.5 KB
IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG    65.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
+1 Yes No Thank
  marquismarque thanked lewmac for this post
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
That came out nice, Lew, What ever happened to your full Sebring body plans?? [hard top]

Kurt

Yes No Thank
Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3909533 by lewmac Here is a pic or two of my '68 Mk IV Sprite ... well it used to be .... now with no square panels ... and a Sebring Fiberglass front. Gotta love the access.

Cheers
Lew

Lew,

Beautiful! From which supplier did you get the front end, please?

Joel

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
lewmac Avatar
lewmac Silver Member Lew McAllan
Hawthorn Woods, IL, USA   USA
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Buggy"
1968 Austin-Healey Sprite "Bluey"
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
I got the front from Archer's garage in the UK, but they have since gone out of business. There are a few suppliers in the UK for this front, but none as yet in the US. I do know of someone with a mold for the front but it needs minor repair and we have not yet gone there.

See Sebring Sprite website .... sebringsprite.com for details on this front.

or this link to one supplier, Halls Garage http://www.sebringsprite.webs.com/tifosisssebring.htm

Cheers
Lew

Yes No Thank
Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3909890 by lewmac I got the front from Archer's garage in the UK, but they have since gone out of business. There are a few suppliers in the UK for this front, but none as yet in the US. I do know of someone with a mold for the front but it needs minor repair and we have not yet gone there.

See Sebring Sprite website .... sebringsprite.com for details on this front.

or this link to one supplier, Halls Garage http://www.sebringsprite.webs.com/tifosisssebring.htm

Cheers
Lew

Cool, thanks!

Joel

Member Services:
Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster