Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
You need to get out more. Borders filed for bankruptcy in early 2011 and closed their last store in September 2011.

In reply to # 3881015 by Sarge101st You mentioned trains, and already the NRM at York has been mentioned; well worth the visit. There are a great number of preserved railways running steam, everything from 2' gauge in Wales to standard gauge steam on North Yorkshire Moors. There might be some mainline steam tours on (a stellar ride would be the Settle & Carlisle, given they still do trips on that line).

In America, bookstores like Borders sell UK railway magazines. Pick up a number or two to get a feel for what's on.

The rest of the posters here have hit what I would recommend for cars, aircraft, &c, though a mention of the Imperial War Museum is always appropriate.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Oh God, old age again, Rick. Grin!

I was thinking Barnes and Noble.

salguod Avatar
salguod Doug Kreib
Salt Lake City Area, UT, USA   USA
I want to thank all who have been so kind as to reply to my request. I know how good folks are here to answer auto based questions even if its for the hundredth time but didn't know what expect to do with this. Plans are still in the early stages and i hope to share the details as they come and maybe to a short photo essay on return. This months away and already I'm feeling excited. Thanks again- Doug

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SimonOopNorth Simon H
Cheshire, Cheshire, UK   GBR
Hi Doug all good advice above. The RAF Cosford
Museum is superb. Only thing I'd add to the suggestions is checking out classicshowsuk.co.uk where you can select local car shows based on date, location, marque etc. It's being updated at the moment for the 2019 season. Worth keeping an eye on - some fantastic local classic car shows every weekend which you can drop into if you're passing by.
Simon

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Hello Doug you have some good suggestion but more info would help, where is your plane landing ? are you staying at a permanent address or touring ? if Permanent where ?
how long are you here for ? all this info would help to suggest a round trip tour or day trips from a permanent base and welcome to the UK when you get here cool smiley

Bev

salguod Avatar
salguod Doug Kreib
Salt Lake City Area, UT, USA   USA
For those who have asked what I have been told so far the itinerary is- fly into Manchester and spend 2 days in York/Epworth onto Straford-upon-Avon for 2 days including Gloucester, Bourton-on-the-Water, Oxford and Bristol a day in Bath and final day in London. Return from Heathrow. That is the official list. I hope to add days before or after to do my touring as said before those places listed are Sept. 10-17th Thanks friends.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Last time I went was for 5 weeks, not enough by far.

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Nice one Doug you have planned a reasonable round tour ,so here's my idea taking in all the places you mentioned.

Manchester airport to York then south to Stratford upon Avon , note The British Motor Museum at Gaydon is only 8 mile away from Stratford upon Avon with 300 + cars on display, then to Oxford and just outside of Oxford is Abingdon home to the MG and also Kimber House open to the public, leaving there onto Bourton on the Water then to Gloucester - Bristol and Bath ,then moving east to Salisbury Cathedral and after there drive south east to Beaulieu Motor museum with 250 cars on display, drive north back into London and visit the London Transport Museum in Covent Garden also a nice area to spend a day, while in London Westminster Abbey and St Pauls Cathedral and the Tower of London are interesting also.

TIP, driving in London will be a nightmare for you and black cab drivers will know straight away you are strangers to the capitol and try to rip you off, so I would buy a roving ticket on the first red bus you jump on and ride the busses all day long on the one ticket, Enjoy your trip and remember my post is only my suggestion, others may add to it or have other ideas, Buy or download a street map of London too as it will help you,.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Have a great trip. I'm surprised Johnny W. hasn't put his tag on this thread. You out there Johnny??

A on a shoe string Avatar
A on a shoe string Peter Stevenson
Aubusson d'Auvergne, Auvergne, France   FRA
1960 MG MGA 1600 "A"
1972 MG Midget MkIII "Midget"
What churches are you visiting?

I think England might be bigger than you imagine*. Getting from A to B could take longer than you spend at your destination. The road traffic can play games with journey times and don’t forget, while September weather can be amazing, it can also be quite hit and miss.

I suspect there will be a number of interesting things around any of the places on your itinerary. Don’t underestimate the joy of a small museum.

* A quote from the from US troops arriving in England in WW2 and getting lost, ‘I thought this country was too small to need a compass.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
There is no place in England where you are more than 100 miles from the sea. But you can get really lost trying to go 100 miles. smileys with beer

In reply to # 3882641 by A on a shoe string What churches are you visiting?

I think England might be bigger than you imagine*. Getting from A to B could take longer than you spend at your destination. The road traffic can play games with journey times and don’t forget, while September weather can be amazing, it can also be quite hit and miss.

I suspect there will be a number of interesting things around any of the places on your itinerary. Don’t underestimate the joy of a small museum.

* A quote from the from US troops arriving in England in WW2 and getting lost, ‘I thought this country was too small to need a compass.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
"In America, 100 years is old. In Great Britain, 100 miles is far."

Don Midget 2 Avatar
Don Midget 2 Don Williams
Oakbank, Adelaide Hills, South Australia, Australia   AUS
I second Beaulieu, Bletchley Park and Brooklands. Brooklands also has an aircraft museum with a guided tour of a Concorde. Excellent!
Don't take a car into London! Visit AH Spares in Warwickshire if you are in the area and consider renting a narrowboat if you have time. The canal system is amazing but you have to open your own locks. Traffic on the motorways can be horrendous with long holdups. Allow more time than you think you will need for long trips!
In London take a boat trip all the way to the Thames Barrier and get off to spend time in Greenwich including the observatory. Enjoy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-29 07:43 PM by Don Midget 2.

Don Midget 2 Avatar
Don Midget 2 Don Williams
Oakbank, Adelaide Hills, South Australia, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 3882831 by Kerr "In America, 100 years is old. In Great Britain, 100 miles is far."

In Australia 100 miles is commuting distance

Ashley-Hinton Avatar
Ashley-Hinton Ashley Hinton
Gt Bookham, Surrey, UK   GBR
Hi Doug do come a see us in England making classic car parts
Regards Ashley Hinton

Attachments:
P1000101.JPG    33.5 KB
P1000101.JPG

P1000151.JPG    38.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P1000150.JPG    25.5 KB
P1000167.JPG    41.2 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster