AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

The Bs Knees Avatar
The Bs Knees Patrick McConnell
Sonora, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG Midget MkII "Perserverance"
1966 Volvo Amazon (122) "PaddyWagon"
1970 Volkswagen Beetle "Volksy"
I have a Datsun A12 motor in my '64 but I figure most starters work generally the same. Recently, my starter is struggling to turn over the engine as if the battery is very low. I tested the battery's health and it seems fine and the starter struggles even with the car hooked up to the battery charger on boost. Any thoughts?

"Quite by accident, I bought a genuinely brilliant little car."
-Jeremy Clarkson ('69 Sprite)

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Is there an accessible spot on the starter where it can be oiled? Sometimes a bendix will bind even if it is getting a full blast of electricity. Some starters (maybe yours) have a small hole which wicks lubricant onto the shaft.

Yes No Thank
kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, IA, USA   USA
Electrical connections, bendix. A strong battery will not flow through corrosion and certainly check the earth side as well.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail PLEASE for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match most retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
Yes No Thank
The Bs Knees Avatar
The Bs Knees Patrick McConnell
Sonora, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG Midget MkII "Perserverance"
1966 Volvo Amazon (122) "PaddyWagon"
1970 Volkswagen Beetle "Volksy"
I will check for a lubrication port when I get the chance. I don't think it's electrical connections since the car was restored only two years ago and all the wiring is brand new.

"Quite by accident, I bought a genuinely brilliant little car."
-Jeremy Clarkson ('69 Sprite)

Yes No Thank
PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
Use your jumper cable to provide a secure ground as a test.

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (608) 223-9400 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
Yes No Thank
B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
I'd recheck all electrical connections BECAUSE it was restored 2 years ago. That's about the time frame where you'd want to disassemble and reassemble all electrical connections to see what's held up and what has not. Make sure there's no paint at the engine ground strap, which was replaced with new, correct? Pull on wire ends to verify the crimps are tight. If soldered, look for corrosion caused by leftover flux.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

Yes No Thank
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
X5 on electrical. Battery cables have two ends, both must be dissembled, cleaned and put back. If you have those bolt on battery terminals, get new cables. As Peter said, use a jumper cable from ground to engine to test. I installed an extra battery cable from terminal to a gearbox bolt on mine, never started better. Recently fixed a friends 1950 Ford pick up, he had put two new starters in, new cables and still no go. Put thicker cables in and problem solved.

Yes No Thank
trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
I agree that connections should be checked, but how did you check the battery's health?

Yes No Thank
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3909094 by trevorwj I agree that connections should be checked, but how did you check the battery's health?

Agreed; batteries don’t like extreme temperature swings or seasonal changes. My mower was acting like it had a bad starter only to find out after I swapped out the engine for another it was my battery. Speaking of Spidget batteries, my next one is gonna be a riding mower battery.

Yes No Thank
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 3909539 by GeorgeOhr
In reply to # 3909094 by trevorwj I agree that connections should be checked, but how did you check the battery's health?

Agreed; batteries don’t like extreme temperature swings or seasonal changes. My mower was acting like it had a bad starter only to find out after I swapped out the engine for another it was my battery. Speaking of Spidget batteries, my next one is gonna be a riding mower battery.

Common battery for competition folks. Gets rid of some weight that sits up pretty high in a Spridget.

Kurt

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster