Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

trowe9 Avatar
trowe9 Gold Member Tracy Rowe
Baxter Springs, KS, USA   USA
Lots of positive recommendations to purchase HS4’s from Andy Jennings but where is best place to send them to have prepped and cleaned up? If possible would like to have complete setup and ready to install? Is there a recommendation on headers to go with the setup?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-09 10:50 AM by trowe9.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Tracy,

Might I suggest doing them up yourself. The advantage will be the understanding you will have of them once you are done; makes setup and maintenance much easier to wrap your head around simply because you will know them up "close and personal".

I'm an old Weber guy going all the way back to the '70s to replace that Zenith, but curious enough to have a set of HS4 and inlet here for my 1500 Spit, and am going through that very exercise for that very same reason. Teach an old dog, will you! Grin!

If by "header" you mean inlet/intake manifold, the UK market inlet for either Spit or 1500 Midget is the critter you'll need for HS4. You'll be sourcing that from the UK probably, as the HS4 configuration didn't come to North America. Others here might know any US sources at reasonable prices; I just hit the UK market for mine.

An alternative would be the 1-1/4" throat HS2 pairing that did come in the US on 1300 Triumph Spits. That assembly pretty much bolts up to the Triumph 1500 as well. I have a couple mates running them on 1500 Midgets who are well-pleased.

Do some searches both here and on the Spit forum over on Triumph experience and the experience and info levels are very high. There are a couple SU manuals, a Haynes just on SUs, and the Haynes Weber manual also (oddly) covers them and Zenith Stromberg.

They are simple carbs so should be in your skillset without worry.

Hope it helps, and hope others chime in just in case I got something wrong in my tale (won't be the first time. Grin!)

Offence is the opiate of the humourless.

+1 Yes No Thank
  trowe9 thanked Sarge101st for this post
Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
I neglected to finish something (old age!)

If you, by header, meant the exhaust, then how about a nice 4-2-1 exhaust to a perhaps freer breathing exhaust system although the stock one past the cat isn't too shabby really.

You will notice some gain with better intake and some-freer exhaust, but don't expect the car to go wild with newfound horsepower or something. The limit to new life you'll hit pretty quickly is the engine itself in stock form; a little more to be gained with a mild cam, then the slippery slope beckons.

My Midget currently is running a Weber and TWM in, 4-1 header and ANSA out, and a mild cam. It takes advantage of what is already a nice torquey engine out in the ridges and farm tracks we're blessed with here, but gobs of horsepower for the motorway or straighter roads are not realised with that setup; I expect the same of the Spit.

Offence is the opiate of the humourless.

+1 Yes No Thank
  trowe9 thanked Sarge101st for this post
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Blue "parts" Car"
1999 Subaru Legacy "Daily Driver"
My tip is this if you get a used set make sure all the linkage for them are present. If not you'll have to either find it (damn near impossible it seems angry smiley) or make some incorrect B.S. work eye rolling smiley. Has for the other parts nothing like the source http://sucarb.co.uk/ and I have a large box of hs4 parts such has tops floats screws and etc.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-09 05:20 PM by 76lucas.

+1 Yes No Thank
  trowe9 thanked 76lucas for this post
Sprite1956 Roger Parry-Jones
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Is there an air cleaner clearance issue with the rear HS4 carry in a Midget?

Yes No Thank
Sprite1956 Roger Parry-Jones
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Carburettor, that should be.

Yes No Thank
jmac Avatar
jmac Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1971 MG Midget "Joy Ride"
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
If you run into a problem with parts or linkage, give Joe Curto a call or go to his website joecurto.com

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

Member Services:
Midget/Spitfire 1500 engine rebuilding.
Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 MG MGB Limited Edition LE

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links