AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Don't worry about the door color underneath. I just sanded it down to get the glue off and put new vinyl down. When I got the map pockets from Joe Sackel they needed to be stripped and redone with the same black vinyl.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Dave, contact Joe Sackel at jssprite58@cox.net tell him Chuck sent you.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Dave, from what I can see your current door pocket "solution" it doesn't look too bad. thumbs up The light gray wouldn't be my first choice. Why not keep those for now and concentrate on the seats and carpet? By the way, an early Spridget floor can be covered with a roll of original-grade carpet for hardly any moolah. Instead of a pre-cut carpet kit, I took a small roll of black loop carpet and cut templates, roll cost like $70 shipped, and still have some left over to do my trunk.

If the top fabric is attached to that 66 top frame, I may be interested in buying that from you! The roll-up era cars used a different windshield attachment so that won't work on your 63.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
owdlvr Dave Hord
Squamish, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3875103 by littlecars Dave, from what I can see your current door pocket "solution" it doesn't look too bad. thumbs up The light gray wouldn't be my first choice. Why not keep those for now and concentrate on the seats and carpet? By the way, an early Spridget floor can be covered with a roll of original-grade carpet for hardly any moolah. Instead of a pre-cut carpet kit, I took a small roll of black loop carpet and cut templates, roll cost like $70 shipped, and still have some left over to do my trunk.

If the top fabric is attached to that 66 top frame, I may be interested in buying that from you! The roll-up era cars used a different windshield attachment so that won't work on your 63.

I didn't get into the shop tonight, but I think my first step is going to be seeing if i can save the body colour door skins, or if they need to be repainted. I'll do the inner "door pocket" in black, and if I have to the surround in black carpet. Funny enough, I had already pulled down a couple of rolls of "automotive carpet" I have in black. I'll use the grey carpets I pulled as templates, and not worry about it too much. Total cost, $29 assuming I have to open the second roll!

I will pull the top out and take some photos for you. The frame is separate, so I'm really not sure what I have. I just know it came with the '66 Midget parts car and parts load I picked up.

Midget63 Avatar
Midget63 Nick Herwegh
-, Netherlands   NLD
Hello Dave,

Nice looking GAN2 Midget you have ! Since your car is the 1098 cc/disc-brake model (GAN2) its original interior is slightly different than the one in Chuck's 1961 (GAN1) model.
It should look like this:
Mind you; the rear seat cushion,fire extinguisher,cigar lighter and dashboard clock are all optional extras. No worries for painted door panels then….grinning smiley
PS Tartan red GAN2's had either black interior with grey piping or red interior with grey piping
Just my two cents....

Nick (ex 1963 Midget)

Attachments:
DSC01408.JPG    64.9 KB
DSC01408.JPG

DSC01409.JPG    66.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSC01499.JPG    45.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
owdlvr Dave Hord
Squamish, Canada   CAN
Gorgeous! Thanks for those photos.

Given the repairs that we did to make my Midget road-worthy, I think it will have to be a car that I keep long term. It's safe, and well repaired...but it's far from correct, or 'fair' to the spirit of caring for the authenticity of these cars. Ultimately, if I were to sell the car (without disclosure) it would be a pretty terrible thing to do. If I were to sell it, the car would need to be sold and valued as a parts car...which is essentially how I got it. Thus, I better just keep it. So with that in mind, I've made a few selections which will horrify the purists, but will give the car a twist of style that is all my own. I've ordered red tartan to do the inside of the seats (ribbed section), and potentially to do the 'inside' area of the doors. While I'm at it, I pulled a set of seat heaters out of the shop storage (hey, why not?!) and will get the local upholstery folks on it once the supplies arrive. The plaid is part of the branding for Classic Car Adventures / Dave Hord, so where it may raise eyebrows here...as soon as I show up on event in the car, it will be a complete hit. I'm torn on the steering wheel. The car should have a wood-rimmed, period correct wheel. But each of my 'personal' builds have used a suede OMP or Momo racing wheel. Modern race wheel in a non-track Midget? Sacrilege!

The Classic Car Adventures jacket:

(in this particular image, I'm using the 'Canadian' trick of Maple Syrup to quiet down a squeaking belt)

Hopefully my brake parts arrive today, and I can get going on the mechanicals this weekend. I also realized I need to order a new tonneau cover, as the one that came with the car is trimmed for the roll bar. Whoops, didn't anticipate that in the budget! Oh, who am I kidding...when does the proposed budget ever match the actual spend?

-Dave

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Love your attitude bud! Go for it. Keep us updated.

Midget63 Avatar
Midget63 Nick Herwegh
-, Netherlands   NLD
I'm sure a combination of black vinyl and tartan cloth would look stunning in your Midget. Remember that the factory even made pink Sprites..... winking smiley
Anything is possible with these cars !

owdlvr Dave Hord
Squamish, Canada   CAN
Standard Midget dash...

And hiding under the standard Midget Dash...

Being a guy who runs classic car rallies, I often need to power GPS, cell phone, rally computer, etc. etc. So, three power points needed to be installed. As I'm going to be adding heated seat elements (because, why not?), I needed switches. And then, there is the 'stereo', which is a simple small amp that drives two speakers. All hidden, so that the car could still pass as a collector. Took forever to make, as I had to wire up relays and fuses and other gear so as to not stress the MG wiring harness which is, uh, in rough shape. Ignition controls a relay, which then powers the whole addition on it's own fuse set and wiring.

Door panels, as the car arrived:

And door panels as I've currently got them. The tartan plaid will go onto the inside portion which is currently blank. While not quite as nice as I had hoped, these are such a significant improvement, I can be happy with it.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Looking good Dave!!

Daveboyardee Avatar
Daveboyardee David Evans
Sooke, BC, Canada   CAN
Hey Dave. I have a 67 Mk 3/ Gan4 midget and I am in Sooke...Tell me about anything leftover you might have from the 66 parts car as they might fit mine. Mine is also red but luckily it came rust free and nearly complete. I ma not doing a full resto rather making a fun autocross car.

Attachments:
9C92A637-3680-4672-A740-89628FF486A7.jpeg    50.3 KB
9C92A637-3680-4672-A740-89628FF486A7.jpeg

owdlvr Dave Hord
Squamish, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3877115 by Daveboyardee Hey Dave. I have a 67 Mk 3/ Gan4 midget and I am in Sooke...Tell me about anything leftover you might have from the 66 parts car as they might fit mine. Mine is also red but luckily it came rust free and nearly complete. I ma not doing a full resto rather making a fun autocross car.

Probably much easier to ask what you need. There was relatively few bits left on the parts car, but give me a list.

Daveboyardee Avatar
Daveboyardee David Evans
Sooke, BC, Canada   CAN
That’s the thing, I don’t need anything just know that the time will come.
I should probably take the trans if you have it and rebuild it for the ready.
Also, if the hard top came from it, that should fit my car - I am also 6’4”...Or at least I was!
I could use a second set of rims though I am seaching for slot mags.
Maybe the rad.....
Some switches, tach and gauges.
Are you on Bowen or on the Sunshine Coast?
david@StickInTheMud.ca if you want to email.

owdlvr Dave Hord
Squamish, Canada   CAN
Ah, the parts car I got was basically a shell minus the drivetrain. I do have the tach, some of the gauges perhaps some switches.

I'm in Port Alberni.

Daveboyardee Avatar
Daveboyardee David Evans
Sooke, BC, Canada   CAN
I was there last weekend, passing through on my way home from Bamfield. You mentioned you are into VWs - I was looking at a 56 Panel van in PA about 5 years ago...I wish I had bought it.
Could you send me a pic of the dash with switches, tach and gauges? and if it is okay, I should come by one day and have a closer look at what else is on the car.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster