AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

grichn Avatar
grichn Richard nicholson
crevillent, alicante, Spain   ESP
1976 MG Midget MkIII "The Shed"
1977 MG Midget MkIII
So, I took the twin SU´s off so that I could cut away the bodywork to prevent the back carb from fouling the metalwork, a problem caused by the PO changing from Weber carbs. Discovered that the PO had used a motely collection of exhaust gaskets for sealing…..! Cleaned everything up and made some new paper gaskets - you won´t find any MG MIdget gaskets in Spain....

After a couple of attempts to start the solenoid died... replaced it. Five minutes later the starter died... the Lord of Darkness is upon me.... Replaced the starter....

The engine now starts but has an unsteady run followed by a smooth transition to high revs then back down again. Obviously its a carb problem, any advice would be much appreciated.
Richard in very sunny Spain, I sat in the sun, 24 degrees C and shared the problem with a cold, cheap beer and thought of you all......

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
Vacuum leak. You really need to use the proper gasket.

Yes No Thank
grichn Avatar
grichn Richard nicholson
1977 MG Midget MkIII
I used thin gasket material, it is paper/like but much more durable. I will tweak up the manifold bolts today and try and check the carb settings to see if there is an imbalance.
Cheers and thanks for your help.
Richard

Yes No Thank
grichn Avatar
grichn Richard nicholson
1977 MG Midget MkIII
Found the problem! The electric fuel pump I had fitted was intermittent-worked when there was no back pressure but failed in use. Had me fooled for a whole morning...…. Now awaiting a replacement from the UK. Gave me time to fit the electric water valve for the heater hose and today the switch on the dash.... The Boss says its down to the beach for lunch tomorrow as temperature is going to be 29 degrees C - ho hum...…
Richard

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster