The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live   Read the announcement
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Bring a Trailer- 2 bidders battle for '73 Midget... hammer price $14,500 !!! (link)

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Pete, with greatest respect I can't agree with your logic. One reads in so many adverts, "$X0,000 invested" or "I have such and such in it, so I'm taking a loss. My pain is your gain." Well, no it isn't. Stupid money is still stupid money no matter how its justified. No-where is it written its incumbent on me to pay for your investment in your hobby. That's money we choose to plow into a project as part of our enjoyment.

As an aside, that can get especially onerous when the seller has a resto done rather than do it himself or herself. Summing up shop-rate receipts can get truly out of hand if there is the expectation the next guy owes the seller the actual cost. As an example, there is a '31 Ford Model A for sale near me now. A wistful story, the owner has shuffled it off, the family puts the car in the yard during community yard sales and when the Carlisle shows are on, with a pile of trophies, a book of receipts and documentations of the resto, and a price twice what the car is worth justified by it being half the cost of the sum of the receipts and how many trophies it has won. No takers now for three years, the price not to be budged, the car is starting to go away around the edges. At that impasse between potential buyer and the seller, because of that same logic, the car really is arguably worthless to anyone.

David:

In reply to # 3905105 by littlecars I feel the car was priced right, especially when you consider how much it would take to recreate this car from project state.

Without going into my aversions to the whole "collector" mentality yet again (the congregation breathes a sigh of great relief), this car is a great example of a horses-for-courses argument. Is it priced right as you assert?

Well, its not done as a driver but as a collector piece. Before the pitchfork and torches appear, consider where the money went. Other than the oddest niggle keeping it just off the hundred-point mark such as that bezel, its all in the coachwork and the applications of Mothers products. One could argue its an over-restored car, by definition a car looking better than when it came out of Abingdon headed for the boat. However, as a piece of taxidermy I rather agree the price is near-right if not a bit steep, more a $12k tops car if I could have those few niggles seen to before delivery. Taxidermy is not my world, so my take on "value" is truly suspect.

"Value" is not price. What lets the side down, though, are the things I'd expect in a true top-flight resto. For that money, I would expect more perfection as a show-piece if that was my gig. No mention of originality of components ("numbers matching" in the Yank iron game) though the temptation to put a five-speed in was resisted; good for a harem car but arguably bad for a driving car at that money as you mentioned.

Why do I hold it isn't a driver but a trailer car? For the money, yeah a five speed would fit the intent of driving. A little less faerie-piss tarting the heater hose and instead having actually done the engine; the pre-detonation oil pressure level does not instill me with much confidence the engine saw any work, let alone the same attention its surroundings received.

So, priced right? Depends on the purpose I suppose. It wouldn't suit mine, certainly, but I very much hope it suits the buyer's if for no other reason than he stays with us rather than leaves in great disappointment and frustration should it turn out to be a lipsticked pig.

My apologies for the painful essay.

Offence is the opiate of the humourless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-12 07:05 AM by Sarge101st.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
In reply to # 3907240 by Sarge101st Pete, with greatest respect I can't agree with your logic. One reads in so many adverts, "$X0,000 invested" or "I have such and such in it, so I'm taking a loss. My pain is your gain." Well, no it isn't. Stupid money is still stupid money no matter how its justified. No-where is it written its incumbent on me to pay for your investment in your hobby. That's money we choose to plow into a project as part of our enjoyment.

I think we are saying the same thing here. At no point did I claim that the owner is entitled to recover the cost of the restoration; quite the opposite.
That car cost a whole lot more than 15k to get in the condition that it is now ( from what I can tell at a glance)
If the person who bought it wanted a nice MG midget, they were faced with the task of building their own for about 25k ( thats mostly DIY cost) or this one for 15k.
I think the 15k was the smart move.
You would be surprised how many walk over a 15k car that needs nothing so that they can build a 25k car over years of time. Myself included.

As to "silly money" you need to keep in mind that one mans fortune is another mans couch change. Some people spend that on a night out.

Pete

Yes No Thank
Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
We probably are, Pete.

Where we might not share opinion is the notion that one is indeed a $15k car, at least not yet. Grin!

As far as the other man's couch change, that gets me back to the the point discussed elsewhere that the other man will price the common man out of a night out if every restaurant and club suddenly expects their services to be "valued" in keeping with couch-change-guy's resources. I cringe at that thought.

smileys with beer

Yes No Thank
marksmithhfx Avatar
marksmithhfx Silver Member Mark Smith
Winnipeg, MB, Canada   CAN
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Midge"
The latest Midget to go on BaT went for $5750. A decent price for a pretty decent Midget - not perfect, but none-the-less a fair price. If I was in the market for another one I would think $6k for that was a decent purchase.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-mg-midget-7/?utm_source=transactionalemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bat_watched_listing_ended

+1 Yes No Thank
  littlecars thanked marksmithhfx for this post
200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3907722 by marksmithhfx The latest Midget to go on BaT went for $5750. A decent price for a pretty decent Midget - not perfect, but none-the-less a fair price. If I was in the market for another one I would think $6k for that was a decent purchase.

That was a Midget 1500, fully priced...
It had new white paint over emerging surface rust, funky rust through (crash damage?) at bottom of driver side cowl, rattle can restoration underneath... lots of new black paint covering up who knows what (note fresh black overspray on new gas tank)?

MG drivers outlook:

. . . . . "Anyone driving slower than your MG is a MORON, and anyone who passes you is a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

Yes No Thank
trowe9 Avatar
trowe9 Gold Member Tracy Rowe
Baxter Springs, KS, USA   USA
Considering a baseball card can bring over 3 million I would say the buyer got the deal of a lifetime (if the buyer drives it that is)! That is a very nice MG, SAFETY FAST!

Yes No Thank
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Well, folks, I'm expecting a rash of Midgets to come up for sale now with a reserve of $14 K!

Since a few Bug Eye's have brought high dollar amounts there is a bunch of them no selling because reserve isn't met.

For someone looking to buy a fun car I'm not sure a sale like this does any good. I agree though that this appeared to be an exceptional car.

Kurt

Yes No Thank
miatadon Avatar
miatadon Silver Member Don Scott
Calistoga, CA, USA   USA
There is a really unusual survivor early Midget for sale right here on MGE!

https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1961-MG-Midget-MkI-MGMIDGETMK1.45612/

Attachments:
midget.jpg    64.4 KB
midget.jpg

Yes No Thank
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Don, that one sure looks like the one featured prominently in Terry Horler's book.confused smiley Especially like the red soft top and red hard top. And those Ace Mercury wheelcovers! Well worth the $14k and deserving of a new owner who doesn't screw with it. MG

Yes No Thank
miatadon Avatar
miatadon Silver Member Don Scott
Calistoga, CA, USA   USA
I think that Midget was on display at the MGs By the Bay event that is in Danville CA. I remember a very early Midget with those wheel covers and other original features being at the show.

Not being a Midget owner/fanatic, I don't know of that book you mentioned, David.

Yes No Thank
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Not being a Midget owner/fanatic, I don't know of that book you mentioned, David.

It's our Spridget "BIBLE." Original Sprite and Midget. I'm sure others on here will agree without question. There is a red one on the back cover just like this, and featured prominently throughout the early chapters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-13 12:53 PM by littlecars.

Attachments:
Horler Book.jpg    31.8 KB
Horler Book.jpg

Yes No Thank
Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
A Mk1 survivor like that?

Now that's my idea of a $14k Midget. I can appreciate that car; I pray it stays unmolested, too.

smileys with beer

Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
My problem with a car like that is that if I bought it I would drive it like I stole it. And before long it wouldn't be a $14,000 car any more. But I would enjoy the drive. smiling smiley

edit: I just remembered that I have the beginnings of a car like that in the barn. Maybe I should get busy. Or sell it. Think I could get $14.00? lol

In reply to # 3908118 by Sarge101st A Mk1 survivor like that?

Now that's my idea of a $14k Midget. I can appreciate that car; I pray it stays unmolested, too.

smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-13 02:27 PM by refisk.

Attachments:
6AEAAB4C-3D2D-4178-9FC4-BAC183D728AA.jpeg    61 KB
6AEAAB4C-3D2D-4178-9FC4-BAC183D728AA.jpeg

Yes No Thank
Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Rick, that's why that car would not be the car for me, either. Grin!

However, I certainly can appreciate what it is.

A ridge-runner, though, it ain't.

Yes No Thank
dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Dave Rhine
Columbia, SC, USA   USA
Apparently that car was worth $14.5k to both the seller & the buyer.
These cars are worth what the market will bear. It's as simple as that!
Would it be worth that price to me? No.
But, personally I'm glad to see the perceived values going up...

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it until it is! winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-13 05:13 PM by dlrhine.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster