Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Bring a Trailer- 2 bidders battle for '73 Midget... hammer price $14,500 !!! (link)

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 3903787 by Yankeedriver
In reply to # 3903779 by S1 Elan All I want to know is who the loosing bidder was cause I've got a deal for him!grinning smiley

Kurt

No, don't do it! I wanna see you at the Rally in 2020!

Joel

Joel, I've got some to spare!eye rolling smiley

Kurt

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
58custom Avatar
58custom Tom Crocker
Santa Clarita, SoCal, USA   USA
Guys, what is the doodad between the alt and the heater tube running fore & aft looking like a 1" diameter rod but it prolly a hose of some sort? Got a sexy bracket, too.

https://cdn.bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/1973_mg_midget_155119425652118dda22999EB9D17-5554-4C1A-9065-4411245FA64D.jpeg

1969 MG Midget with Datsun A15/5 speed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-06 07:53 PM by 58custom.

Yes No Thank
Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3904227 by 58custom Guys, what is the doodad between the alt and the heater tube running fore & aft looking like a 1" diameter rod but it prolly a hose of some sort? Got a sexy bracket, too.

https://cdn.bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/1973_mg_midget_155119425652118dda22999EB9D17-5554-4C1A-9065-4411245FA64D.jpeg

Oil cooler hose?

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Pretty sure you're right. In another photo you can see what looks like the oil return line.

In reply to # 3904242 by Yankeedriver
In reply to # 3904227 by 58custom Guys, what is the doodad between the alt and the heater tube running fore & aft looking like a 1" diameter rod but it prolly a hose of some sort? Got a sexy bracket, too.

Oil cooler hose?

Joel

Yes No Thank
bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Silver Member Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, WA, USA   USA
Seller is happy!

Yes No Thank
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
you guys are correct, that is the factory fitted oil cooler option

Yes No Thank
1961Midget John Bubela
NWConn, USA   USA
The final price doesn't reflect the perfection of the restoration, rather being caught up in the bidding frenzy. The real winner was the losing bidder who can now buy another Midget at thousands less.

Yes No Thank
NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
In what universe ( other than this board) is that not a fair deal? Some guy who wanted a nice Midget and was thinking of restoring his own just saved a ton of $$$ and years of his life.

I help people spend 10 k to get just their rusty shell restored and painted. Yes, that is what it cost. Then you have to do all the rest of it. And spend 2 or more years of your spare time making it work. 25k Canadian is not hard to put into a Midget if you are doing a bare tub restoration. That is you doing a lot of the work.

I always start the conversation with "Have you considered buying the best Midget on the market rather than restoring yours?" Oddly enough most people elect to restore "their" car cost be dammed!

Pete

Yes No Thank
Monsantiqu Avatar
Monsantiqu Silver Member Anthony S
Sunshine City, FL, USA   USA
Pete, well said.������

Yes No Thank
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3904377 by NOHOME In what universe ( other than this board) is that not a fair deal? Some guy who wanted a nice Midget and was thinking of restoring his own just saved a ton of $$$ and years of his life.

I help people spend 10 k to get just their rusty shell restored and painted. Yes, that is what it cost. Then you have to do all the rest of it. And spend 2 or more years of your spare time making it work. 25k Canadian is not hard to put into a Midget if you are doing a bare tub restoration. That is you doing a lot of the work.

I always start the conversation with "Have you considered buying the best Midget on the market rather than restoring yours?" Oddly enough most people elect to restore "their" car cost be dammed!

Pete

Yeah but that’s usually the case with everything else too. The best way to get 20k for a TR6 is to put 40k in it. winking smiley

Yes No Thank
purpleGT Avatar
purpleGT Gold Member Bud Osbourne
Pittsburgh, PA., USA   USA
Wow! I'm still digesting that price. The car looks terrific, but a 1275 should be showing a LOT more oil pressure than that, even when hot. The A series is damn near indestructible, if you keep clean oil in it and don't neglect the other maintenance stuff. One of mine has around 150K on it (200K +, with a......as it turned out, un-needed......refresh at 50K) and it's got way better oil pressure than that, even after a long, hard run.

I think the $14,500 sale price is an anomaly, right now. But, in a few years, it may become less of an anomaly and more of a reality. Who knows.

+1 Yes No Thank
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
I feel the car was priced right, especially when you consider how much it would take to recreate this car from project state. Would rather it have the 5spd conversion as stated earlier. The walkaround video shows a few more things that pop out to me, like the door panels with added vertical pleats, etc. Vinyl interior again looks too light but funny the carpet looks like period-correct Autumn Leaf. The startup video leaves me flat. The cameraman has to choke the engine just like I do. Once it settles into an idle mine runs the same way. A freeflow exhaust or header would make this really sound sweet. Then there is the faded chrome bezel around the brake test light. Oversight.

Yes No Thank
1275midget Avatar
1275midget Mike's 73 Midget
over, hill and dale, USA   USA
Seems like a decent rebuild for the sale price.

Yes No Thank
58custom Avatar
58custom Tom Crocker
Santa Clarita, SoCal, USA   USA
In reply to # 3904364 by Kerr you guys are correct, that is the factory fitted oil cooler option

Cool! Hadn't seen that before.

1969 MG Midget with Datsun A15/5 speed

Yes No Thank
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3905105 by littlecars I feel the car was priced right, especially when you consider how much it would take to recreate this car from project state.

Yeah and a hooker is cheaper than a spouse with papers on her too! winking smiley

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster