AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Brake fluid type
  This topic is about my 1961 MG Midget
Tony Dambrosio Avatar
Tony Dambrosio Silver Member Anthony D'Ambrosio
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
Good morning all, I finally got the car running. Thought I had electrical problem just ended up being the key switch. Fired right up after that. So there was no brakes so I removed the entire pedal box cleaned it all up painted and rebuilt the master. I just bought the aftermarket kit, honed the bores and it looks GOOD. My question is can I use dot 4 or ?
Thanks in advance,Tony

PS I’m new to forums, is it better to start a new topic each time I have a question or just continue with my original post?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
In my opinion it's better to start a new thread with each new question.

Use Dot 3 or 4 if everything is original. I like Castrol LMA Dot 3-4.

By the way, you don't have a "C" type Midget. smiling smiley C types were made in the '30's. Go back to where you selected C type and way, way, way down the list you will find the listing for modern Midgets.

In reply to # 3889659 by Tony Dambrosio Good morning all, I finally got the car running. Thought I had electrical problem just ended up being the key switch. Fired right up after that. So there was no brakes so I removed the entire pedal box cleaned it all up painted and rebuilt the master. I just bought the aftermarket kit, honed the bores and it looks GOOD. My question is can I use dot 4 or ?
Thanks in advance,Tony

PS I’m new to forums, is it better to start a new topic each time I have a question or just continue with my original post?

Tony Dambrosio Avatar
Hey Rick thanks for the reply another quick question which type midget do I have?
Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Hi Tony,

Our modern Midgets are just Midgets. A '61 would be a Mk I, but they were not designated that way by the factory as 1961 was the very first year of the modern Midget.

In reply to # 3890966 by Tony Dambrosio Hey Rick thanks for the reply another quick question which type midget do I have?
Thanks

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Tony, did you pay any attention to the pedal bores, clevis bores and such? These older cars can have excessive wear that can affect the operating range of the slave rod. I had to open up both my clutch and brake pedals and put bronze bushings in. Just drilled them out as close to center and got oil lite bushings from McMaster-Carr and pressed them in. What is the VIN on your car? You may have mentioned it earlier.

Tony Dambrosio Avatar
Yeah check the bushings were dry and there is sloppy but I went ahead and put it back together and will attempt to bleed the brake system when I get someone to help me, if it doesn’t work I’ll take it apart again. Thanks for the FYI

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Hey Tony. Does your car have the side curtains? We are discussing the different style bracketry used on the early cars in the "What did you do to your Midget today" thread on here. Wondering if you have them if you can post a pic showing the attached brackets. Mine look like this.

Attachments:
DSCN0074.JPG    73.4 KB
DSCN0074.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster