AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Boot seal
  This topic is about my 1961 MG Midget MkI
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Hi Guys. Getting ready to put the boot lid back on Little Red. I got a new seal from Moss. Is there anything I need to know about proper installation other than the obvious?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Chuck,

I've read that the Moss seal is not the right size and will make the boot lid sit proud. If I remember correctly it's McGregor that has the correct seal.

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
IIRC i purchased a boot seal from ebay that claimed to be a better fit than the moss version. It did in fact fit better.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Well, that's disturbing news fellas! The old seal is in good shape so, maybe I'll just see if it looks okay and use it. Thanks!

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Also got the windshield seal with the rubber kit. Any issues with it??

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
"Measure twice and cut only once." And have lots of dish soap or KY jelly available if you are talking about the windshield frame to body seal. If you are just talking the rubber around the glass, just the KY jelly. grinning smiley

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3858198 by refisk Chuck, I've read that the Moss seal is not the right size and will make the boot lid sit proud. If I remember correctly it's McGregor that has the correct seal.

This was my experience also. My new Moss seal ended up in the trash after I found how well my seal from McGregor fit.

Tom Smith
1974 Midget
1976 TR6

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Just compared the old boot seal to the old one. The height is the same. Only diff I see is the bulb on the old one is folded over a bit from use. Think I'll try the new one since I can't return it. As far as the windshield seal, I see it slides into a channel under the frame. That could be problematic for sure.

JOEVACS Avatar
JOEVACS Joe Carter
Hickory, NC, USA   USA
I got a boot seal from Moss. It was tight, yes, but I placed a couple of old wheels/tires on the luggage rack for a week and it was fine. I like the nice tight seal. After a couple of years it is perfect. I felt like if it hadn't been this tight it would be leaky by now , maybe not

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Thanks for all the good input guys. Much appreciated! I did put in the new Moss seal. it was cut perfectly and fits nice and snug. I have to wait until a buddy can help me with the lid, so as not to scratch the new paint.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Moss must have listened! Glad it's working for you. smiling smiley

In reply to # 3858568 by Chas 906 Thanks for all the good input guys. Much appreciated! I did put in the new Moss seal. it was cut perfectly and fits nice and snug. I have to wait until a buddy can help me with the lid, so as not to scratch the new paint.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Not so fast Rick, haven't got the boot lid on yet. Will let ya know asap!

Ashley-Hinton Avatar
Ashley-Hinton Ashley Hinton
Gt Bookham, Surrey, UK   GBR
Hi fit a boot seal that fits do not buy the MGB one its to big
I have over 200 off boot seal in stock I have the seal fitted to my car MG Midget Mk3 see photos
Regards Ashley Hinton

Attachments:
DSC00589.JPG    23.3 KB
DSC00589.JPG

DSC00590.JPG    14.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSC00586.JPG    51.5 KB
DSC00588.JPG    35.1 KB
taylorschone Taylor Schone
St. George, UT, USA   USA
Midget friends - Moss DOES NOT carry the correct boot seal for our cars. I ordered one a month ago, it’s not even close. I message Ashley (above) when I found out he had them with correct specs. He promptly shipped me one from the UK which arrived yesterday and was more than reasonable. Fits correctly, he is the source to use for this, MacGegor sounds like they have it but are difficult ti get ahold of, and online is tricky. All the best!

1972 Midget - Aqua/Navy

Ashley-Hinton Avatar
Ashley-Hinton Ashley Hinton
Gt Bookham, Surrey, UK   GBR
Hi Taylor good to know you got your Boot seal
Regards Ashley Hinton

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster