Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Silver Member Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, WA, USA   USA
I am looking for alternative fuel pump locations and pumps for a 1500 RB that has been converted to 2 HS4 carbs from the UK. My thinking tends to go to the Facet or the Lucas round pump mounted near the fuel lines on the rear cabin bulkhead.

What are your thoughts

Anyone have a picture?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Blue "parts" Car"
1999 Subaru Legacy "Daily Driver"
I put a Facet at the rear in mine.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

bleteaches6 Avatar
Thanks Josh

I like the idea of the rotary pump, but like the space savings of the Facet

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Richb Richard Ball
Everett, Wa, USA   USA
Lee,

We have a similar set up to what you are thinking about. This mod was already done when we got the car and has work well for the past ten years for us. I did have to rewire it a few years back though. The shop the PO had do the pump install stole the 12v line (green circuit) to the reverse light switch to power the pump. The only time this car has left me on the side of the road was when I developed a shorted diode that would blow the fuse and thus cut power to the pump. Susan and I were on our way home from the ABFM packet pick up party and had to walk about two miles to get home. Susan had MG's before I met her and she has always said she can't be mad if the car breaks down as long as I have her walking shoes in the trunk. Running out of gas is another matter all together. I did that just once before I sorted the fuel gauge out.

I'll try to get a picture of the pump placement but the car is outside and covered in snow so it will have to wait until Friday.

Rich Ball
'76 Midget
Everett, WA

bleteaches6 Avatar
Richard
Thanks for the information. You are right about the snow. We are also under about 8" still and like you, expect more on Friday for several more days it looks like. If you finally do get a picture, I'd like to see it.

Monsantiqu Avatar
Monsantiqu Silver Member Anthony S
Sunshine City, FL, USA   USA
Lee, I have had this set-up since I have had my car.
4 years and about 10,00 miles and the SU is happily ticking away.
No issues whatsoever with fuel delivery.
Looks like it came from the factory and is very easily accessed.

Of course I have a spare rebuilt SU pump in case of failure. However, since is ready to go, I’ll never need it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-06 10:36 PM by Monsantiqu.

Attachments:
70F3B601-6F91-45C3-A8A1-6977369AFFF7.jpeg    44.1 KB
70F3B601-6F91-45C3-A8A1-6977369AFFF7.jpeg

41B42AC3-5A3C-4B35-AF2A-9EDD967A6C29.jpeg    44.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
bleteaches6 Avatar
Interesting placement Anthony, Yet another idea to consider!

mgmine Art Pfenninger
LeRoy NY, USA   USA
I bought a generic 12 volt pump from amazon and it worked fine. Actually better than the original

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C1LW0E/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Dave Rhine
Columbia, SC, USA   USA
Lee

Just curious...are you having fuel delivery problems?

A few years back I converted my 1500 over to Spitfire HS2s, did a little research & found out UK market 1500s with the HS4s ran the mechanical pump.
So that's what I used with a fuel pressure regulator between the pump & carbs.
No issues at all so far...

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it until it is! winking smiley

Attachments:
IMG_2047.JPG    69.8 KB
IMG_2047.JPG

Monsantiqu Avatar
Lee, just a suggestion, stay away from mechanical pumps. Unless you can get a good NOS part, the new mechanical pumps are garbage. Ask me how I know!
An electrical points SU pump will last for 40 years without a hiccup.

bleteaches6 Avatar
My beef with the mechanical pumps is the lag in providing fuel and the, IMHO, mickey mouse way the ran the fuel line across the trans and then back to the carb when I am trying to clean up the engine bay

Monsantiqu Avatar
Bottom line is the cost of mechanical VS electric fuel pumps. A mechanical pump costs a fraction of what is costs to produce a masterpiece like the SU.
BL did everything to cut costs, and the fuel pump was unfortunately affected.

bleteaches6 Avatar
Well I decided to go with an ECCO pump from Moss as it fits neatly between the shock on the passenger side and the existing fuel lines. I post pictures when it is installed.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster