AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

A-Arm Mount
  This topic is about my 1977 MG Midget 1500
BruceM Avatar
BruceM Bruce McFarland
Covington, WA, USA   USA
Upon further investigation underneath I found the pin in the fwd a-arm mount looks like it's slipped down. The question is, has the pin worn into the frame mount and I have to take it somewhere to get it welded/replaced? I'd pull it apart, but I would rather have it rolling to transport to someone to repair.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
20180817_073431.jpg    39.9 KB
20180817_073431.jpg

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
Looks like that is what has happened. Not uncommon

Yes No Thank
zabond Russell Meehan
Neerim East, victoria, Australia   AUS
1966 MG Midget "Bridget"
looks like the pin has been nearly worn through by the support or the support has been worn by the pin[most likely] you would have to remove the pin to see but either way I wouldn't be driving it like that
Russ

+1 Yes No Thank
  littlecars thanked zabond for this post
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
The mount has now been compromised and elongated. So get some metal put back on there! Moss and VB sell this piece, but you could get away with just adding more steel after grinding away the painted area. I've seen this on a number of junked Midget, never on a driver.

Yes No Thank
ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Yep, need to repair that area. Several ways to go about doing it but unless you are a good welder don't try it your self. Normally you replace/repair the complete frt end at one time. From the looks of the A-frame you might need new one also.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Yes No Thank
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Y’all remember Anna Peach? Her right side let go on a road in the mountains of Hawaii, but she was lucky and both she and the car survived. She used a donar front to replace hers and all was good. I would clean everything up and look for cracks on all the mounts, both sides, since stress fractures are common. Weld in new steel and cut a hole and Bobs your uncle!
Rut

1960 Bugeye undergoing restoration, 1275
1970 MGB, Pale Primrose
1967 Triumph TR4a
1966 Triumph TR4a
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

Yes No Thank
BruceM Avatar
BruceM Bruce McFarland
Covington, WA, USA   USA
Thanks, I figured it was something on that order. I'm planning on replacing both wishbones and getting the stub axles rebuilt. All the rubber is rotted out so that all gets replaced and as much of the hardware as necessary. I'm not a welder, so that will complicate drive me taking it in to have someone take care of it.
At one time it was in an accident on the RH front corner and it doesn't really line up right on anything up there, so I suppose while we're in there fixing mounts I'll figure out what else needs work.

Yes No Thank
Tafletcher Travis Fletcher
Lenoir city, TN, USA   USA
Bruce,

I just did the same exact work on my front suspension. Got all my parts and stub axles rebuilt by Peter at World wide auto. 100% recommend and don’t be afraid of the job. It’s not too difficult just take pictures to help stay organized!

+1 Yes No Thank
Jbmorse02 Avatar
Jbmorse02 Jeremy Morse
New Durham, NH, USA   USA
I’m not finding this in either catalog. Do you remember where you saw it? Our Spridget needs the same fix and we’re looking into options.

In reply to # 3905015 by littlecars The mount has now been compromised and elongated. So get some metal put back on there! Moss and VB sell this piece, but you could get away with just adding more steel after grinding away the painted area. I've seen this on a number of junked Midget, never on a driver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-10 10:31 AM by Jbmorse02.

Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Part number 4.

http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/sm/full.aspx?Page=16

In reply to # 3906197 by Jbmorse02 I’m not finding this in either catalog. Do you remember where you saw it? Our Spridget needs the same fix and we’re looking into options.

In reply to # 3905015 by littlecars The mount has now been compromised and elongated. So get some metal put back on there! Moss and VB sell this piece, but you could get away with just adding more steel after grinding away the painted area. I've seen this on a number of junked Midget, never on a driver.

Yes No Thank
Billm Avatar
Billm Bill Masquelier
Santee, CA, USA   USA
Bruce
Take it to Harold's auto repair on Rainer in Renton.
They are a great frame straightening shop and can probably do the entire job if you want them to.
They did my Sprite a few years ago
Billm

Yes No Thank
Jbmorse02 Avatar
Jbmorse02 Jeremy Morse
New Durham, NH, USA   USA
Thank you! I see it now. I also found it in Moss Europe catalog online. We’re glad to know it’s available.

In reply to # 3906212 by refisk Part number 4.

http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/sm/full.aspx?Page=16

In reply to # 3906197 by Jbmorse02 I’m not finding this in either catalog. Do you remember where you saw it? Our Spridget needs the same fix and we’re looking into options.

Yes No Thank
ice Avatar
Jeremy, I didn't see a repair part in the catalogs either any one else?
There have been discussions on this subject before so someone much have come up with a solution. I would think when one end of the A-frame has worn as pictured the other side prob is worn as well. Need to inspect both swivel points on the body.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Yes No Thank
ice Avatar
thnx Jermery, eyes getting old!

Any one repaired the area where Bruce's inner fulcrum bolt wore the frame? Pics if you would be so kind!

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster