AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
isaac,

Google the name "Joe Curto" and then call Joe. He is one of the top SU guys out there and will be able to answer questions and sell you the correct parts for your carb.

In reply to # 3884223 by Clutch1 Ah, and speaking of carb needles.. having a tough time making sure I get the correct one.

The little tag on the bowl is long gone on mine, but as far as I can tell it's a federal emissions CD150 '76. I've looked all over the carb for the number, can't find it.

Moss calls for the 44A needle, applications of C3754 and C3755 carb, '75 and '76. It's out of stock, of course.
https://mossmotors.com/metering-needle-44a?assoc=31449

There is also the 44A adjustable needle, which it says it not for my application.
https://mossmotors.com/metering-needle-44a-1?assoc=31450

However, I'm wondering what "adjustable" means, specifically? Is that in reference to the ability to adjust the needle up and down a mm with the tool, through the top of the dashpot? Because if so, mine is able to do that.

Basically wondering if there's any interchangeable part #. Moss tech support didn't want to commit that there was, so I figured I'd ask up here before I order the needle somewhere else.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Clutch1 Isaac T
Mosinee, WI, USA   USA
Helpful guy, he knew exactly what I needed in there and it's ordered and on the way. Thanks for the tip!

Clutch1 Isaac T
Mosinee, WI, USA   USA
Pulling brakes apart on these to make sure everything is on the up and up..

'71 need both front calipers, the pistons don't want to move at all.
'71 is getting new rack boots since they're in bad shape
'76 is getting tie rod ends, the boots are torn and they have some play
Both are getting new pads and pins.. the rotors are in decent shape and I think will clean up just fine with a couple miles.

Rear brakes on the '76 look to be in good shape, but I noticed some gear oil when I pulled a drum off. I verified it came out from inside the axle when I pulled the screws out that hold the drum on, pinching the axle flange to the inner flange. Is this to be expected or does it point to failed axle seals? Otherwise the brake drum was dry and the diff oil only leaked out when I pulled the drum off.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
Issac-There should be,IIRC, three flat head pozi-drive screws holding the rear axle and drum on, when you pull the drum, you have to remove two (or is it just one?), leaving just one to hold the axle flange in place. The gasket under the axle flange is notorious for leaking, its just a paper gasket that's easily torn or displaced. once it starts to leak (as you found out) it's a PITA to stop. I'd just replace the gasket, and personally, I use High Tack on that one, it's just thin enough to not bodge things, but seals up well when applied appropriately.

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
There are two screws that hold the drum on. Under the drum is a third screw that retains the axle on the hub. Under the axle flange is a paper gasket and an o-ring. Quite often a lazy previous owner didn't replace everything when they did some service and you get a leak.

In reply to # 3889973 by AN5L8016 Issac-There should be,IIRC, three flat head pozi-drive screws holding the rear axle and drum on, when you pull the drum, you have to remove two (or is it just one?), leaving just one to hold the axle flange in place. The gasket under the axle flange is notorious for leaking, its just a paper gasket that's easily torn or displaced. once it starts to leak (as you found out) it's a PITA to stop. I'd just replace the gasket, and personally, I use High Tack on that one, it's just thin enough to not bodge things, but seals up well when applied appropriately.

Clutch1 Isaac T
Mosinee, WI, USA   USA
Appreciate the info, thanks fellas. Should be able to get that sealed back up with that info in mind.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
alluded to but not stated directly: it is common for a leak there when the drum is removed, because its fastenings are what hold the axle flange tight against the hub seal.

Probably reinstalling the drum would stop it, but to be on the safe side, especially on a car with unknown history, a new O ring and gasket is a good idea.

To do that, the rear axle oil needs to be drained (or, one side can be done at a time if one tips the whole car), and refilled with new oil, which is also a good idea on a car with an unknown history.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1952 MG TD MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links