1974 Transmission Rear Seal Question

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MerrittIsland74MGB Avatar
Merritt Island, Merritt Island, USA   USA
I am towards the end of a rebuild and the final step before putting the engine back in was replacing the rear seal of the transmission (transmission is a 22B369 MOWOG). There was what appeared to be a metal sleeve over the seal and based on some reading I figured I would have to chisel/cut that out since a slide hammer did not do the trick. As you can see by the picture, this was not as easy as I thought.

So the question for the experts is - How in the hell does that sleeve come out? Or does it come out? If it does not, recommendations on cleaning up my mess to get the replacement seal in place. BTW, the replacement seal looks pretty wimpy (Moss 121-120) compared to what came out.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
seal.jpg    37.6 KB
seal.jpg

Midgies Dad Avatar
Midgies Dad Ben M
York, ME, USA   USA
Doesn't look familiar to me. You may want to ask in the MGB forum.

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Platinum Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
That's the outer sleeve of the rear seal and must come out...

The OE seal is substantially heftier than the replacement, but the replacement works fine...

Dick

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster