1968 Bonnet prop rod

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I disagree, David, to me it looks as if Sinewave has the rod taped on in just about the right position and the right way around. I don't believe I have a means of taking a picture and posting it to the I'net right now or I could take a picture. Old camera with corroded batteries. The bracket makes a L shape and was spot welded in place. Shouldn't be hard to duplicate with a good method of attaching it as probably the biggest concern since, obviously, not even the factory had that figured out.

Kurt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sinewave Avatar
Sinewave T. Keith Vezina
Kenner, LA, USA   USA
I don't know where the owner got the rod but it just won't work as is; I have to make it a mirror image of Chuck's for the bonnet to close properly.

I fabricated an L shaped bracket and, after painting, I will rivet in place with a little body panel adhesive. I had to remove the 45deg. bend in the rod, shorten it a bit, and bend the pivot point in the opposite direction.

T. Keith Vezina
British Motoring Club New Orleans
1976 MGB, 1976 MGB Trailer & 1967 MGB MK. I

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
The rod was right but I suppose whatever works.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
The hinge point of the prop rod was moved to prevent the hood from sagging and bending (next sentence in Horler).

If the new hinge point had been on the left side, it could get in the way of carb tuning and fiddling, as Peter wrote, and limited hood clearance..

IMPORTANT:

If you have this type of hood and trunk prop rod, glue a rubber or vinyl tip over the exposed metal ends.

Otherwise, sooner or later, the rod WILL someday swing out and damage the paint on your fender.

Dont ask how I know this is inevitable, no matter how careful you think you are!

MG drivers outlook:

. . . . . "Anyone going slower than you drives like a MORON, and anybody driving faster is a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Good idea Mike. Thanks!

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3883642 by Sinewave Can someone please post a photo of the prop rod bracket that is on the bonnet?

TIA

TIA,

Here are some shots of my '67 Midget's bonnet rod attachments, with measurements. Hope this helps.

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.

Attachments:
IMG_2932.jpg    24.9 KB
IMG_2932.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg    33.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_2934.jpg    23.4 KB
IMG_2937.jpg    22.9 KB
Sinewave Avatar
Sinewave T. Keith Vezina
Kenner, LA, USA   USA
Thanks for the photos Joel. I found the remnants of the old bracket on the bonnet just where your pic shows, but I get interference from the radiator when I try to place the rod there.

This car is a Frankenstein (it had a turbocharger on it when the current owner bought it). I'll have to post some photos of the steering column; two heim joints and the firewall penetration is shifted to the left about two inches.

T. Keith Vezina

Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3885134 by Sinewave Thanks for the photos Joel. I found the remnants of the old bracket on the bonnet just where your pic shows, but I get interference from the radiator when I try to place the rod there.

This car is a Frankenstein (it had a turbocharger on it when the current owner bought it). I'll have to post some photos of the steering column; two heim joints and the firewall penetration is shifted to the left about two inches.

Huh... I have run three different radiators without issues related to the prop rod--the OEM down-flow, an aluminum high-performance down-flow from Speedwell, and the Huffaker Engineering/Ron Davis dual-pass cross flow. I'm now running a VW Rabbit radiator which is even lower (and will require me to slip a piece of aluminum angle iron into the gap created at the top of the core - see picture).

I would love to see your steering column, as I've always wanted a way to make the vampire-stake solid shaft safer.

My '67 is a complete Franc-un-schteen, sporting an intercooled supercharger setup underway (second pic - I need to cut a slot in the lower valance to blast the lower 2/3 of the intercooler in cold air), a Datsun 5-speed, tubular shocks all 'round, and naturally rear discs.

Joel

Member Services:

Attachments:
VW radiator_install(1).jpg    58.3 KB
VW radiator_install(1).jpg

Intercooler installation (9).jpg    37.7 KB
Richard D Avatar
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
sinewave, here is the bonnet and prop rod on my 67 midget. You may already have what you need but I wanted to try my first attempt at posting pictures anyway... I need to learn how

Ok, it looks like file links instead of pictures... what am I doing wrong?

Attachments:
P2040036.JPG    38.6 KB
P2040036.JPG

P2040042.JPG    34.2 KB
P2040045.JPG    31.7 KB
Richard D Avatar
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
Well I be dawg gone... it worked!! smiling bouncing smiley
and straight out of my computer files to boot...

Sinewave Avatar
Sinewave T. Keith Vezina
Kenner, LA, USA   USA
Here are photos of the two heim joints. I'll try to get some from underneath whenever I get it on the lift.

T. Keith Vezina

Attachments:
20190204_152812.jpg    60.8 KB
20190204_152812.jpg

20190204_152834.jpg    50.8 KB
Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3886134 by Sinewave Here are photos of the two heim joints. I'll try to get some from underneath whenever I get it on the lift.

Thanks! I've saved these photos for my future steering column safety upgrade. Down the cue a bit, but something I've always wanted to change, as I recall a gosh-awful head-on years ago when adjusting claims for State Farm where the guy was impaled by the column on an old American car. What a cool DIY project that would make!

Joel

Member Services:
Sprite1956 Roger Parry-Jones
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
David's right! Although the prop rod looks a little bent where you've mounted it to the bonnet.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
That heim joint for the steering column should have been done from birth. I would guess the production costs would have been prohibitive for British Leyland though. I like it! The older I get, the closer I'm getting to the steering column. This is a right nice upgrade!

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Those u-joints will make for some interesting steering.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster