Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

murphyb7825 Avatar
murphyb7825 Bill Murphy
Lewisport, KY, USA   USA
When i searched this site for a block off plate i saw someone used a big block chevy plate. Heres some pics of the off the shelf mr gasket block off plate probably available at most box store auto parts places. Needs a good glop of silicone on the bottom, plenty if setup time before starting to cure/dry, and some shiney new bolts, but will work just fine.

Bill Murphy

'75 Midget

Progress is not the mere correction of evils.  Progress is the constant replacing of the best there is with something still better.

- Edward A Filene

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20170107_183534.jpg    33.5 KB
20170107_183534.jpg

20170107_183501.jpg    33.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Blue "parts" Car"
1999 Subaru Legacy "Daily Driver"
I think i have a new slogan for G.M. "General Motors, our parts fit everything". Great idea. Now if you have an electric pump you can get rid of the old one easily. Lets us know how good it works.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

Homerr Avatar
Homerr Jeff Kogut
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
1966 MG Midget MkII "Sold!"
1970 MG Midget MkIII "Midget On A Spit"
1971 MG Midget MkIII "The Donor"
1973 Triumph TR6    & more
Will it work upside-down without hte glop?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Dave Rhine
Columbia, SC, USA   USA
A sheet of gasket paper, a pair of scissors & a razor blade & you can easily make your own gasket with no chance of a leak...

smileys with beer

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it until it is! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-08 04:23 PM by dlrhine.

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Or...rat tali file, elongate the holes a tad, do the same to the plate and ....fits!

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

77Midget Avatar
77Midget Y.. Lee
western, USA   USA
1977 MG Midget 1500 "Some Friend"
1998 Lincoln Mark Lt "Mark VIII"
2002 Subaru Forester "Suba Too"
2006 Honda Civic "Civic"    & more
looks familiar.

removing the mechanical pump also reduces wear on the cam.

Y.

dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Dave Rhine
Columbia, SC, USA   USA
Looks nice!

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it until it is! winking smiley

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
Use the original fuel pump gasket and it'll work fine-don't use the one that doesn't cover, you'll regret it. Oil leaks suck -or drip as the case may be.

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

murphyb7825 Avatar
murphyb7825 Bill Murphy
Lewisport, KY, USA   USA
I'd have loved to use the original gasket, but mine tore in the removal and was oil soaked anyways. I tried flipping the gasket upside down, but it wasn't long enough on the bottom, and way over on the top. I cut the bottom section of the gasket out and used 3/4 of it. I slobbered on a pretty good glop of black rtv silicon on the bottom and a decent layer on both sides of the rest of the gasket. When first applied, it wipes off fairly easy. My block was painted black, so it isn't very visible as long as it's off the shiny part.

Bill Murphy

'75 Midget

Progress is not the mere correction of evils.  Progress is the constant replacing of the best there is with something still better.

- Edward A Filene

ntorch Avatar
ntorch Noel T.
Blandon, PA, USA   USA
I've read pro's and con's of electric vs. mechanical pumps. But never this "removing the mechanical pump also reduces wear on the cam"

My question is, how significant of an issue is "wear on the cam"??? Someone, please add a little meat to this comment.

1976 MG Midget--Original Tundra Green

murphyb7825 Avatar
murphyb7825 Bill Murphy
Lewisport, KY, USA   USA
I removed it for 2 reasons. 1 it isnt being used and possibly bad. Disconnected by a PO. 2 is to reduce the drag/resistance or work on the cam. I think there is nothing wrong with a mechanical pump and would have just replaced this one before going electric but it was already electric when i bought it.

When i raced, the less work the crank and cam had to do, the better. Electric fan and water pump could easily gain .10 second.

Bill Murphy

'75 Midget

- Edward A Filene

thejimster56 Jim Pawlowski
Elk Grove Village, IL, USA   USA
YOU COULD ALSO JUST USE THE FACTORY FUEL PUMP GASKET

bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Silver Member Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, WA, USA   USA
A steel MGA plate also fits with a little trimming to make it contour the outside perfectly

djclinton Avatar
djclinton Dennis Clinton
Mesquite, NV, USA   USA
1964 Ford Ranchero "Red Rocket"
1966 Other Custom "Green Machine"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Bridgette(brown Midget)"
I cut my own gasket, and ground down a plate I had and made my own cover. 2 years-no leaks so far.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster