1968 Austin-Healey Sprite "Bluey"
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
LOL... old thread !

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3903715 by littlecars I know of two gentlemen who are not only buying out domestic stock of proper 13" road tyres for our cars

Why? It’s not like to can save them up for later.

Yes No Thank
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
They don't keep them for very long, George. The regional car clubs come calling and stock is quickly sold off. Never mind the DOT date codes. If you find the right local tire shop you shouldn't have any problem getting them mounted either.

Yes No Thank
Boze Avatar
Boze Silver Member Rick Bosak
Twin Cities, MN, USA   USA
1966 Austin-Healey Sprite "Time Machine"

Yes No Thank
Nasher Dougal Cawley/A
Doncaster, UK   GBR

yes but that is miles too small. that is only a 65% profile.

Pirelli do a proper 145R13 Cinturato. which is a period tyre with a suitable carcass. so it will drive miles better. it also looks right.

why would you fit a 165/65?

Yes No Thank
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
I said it before, I'll say again, anyone who says "you can't find 13" or 14" tires" simply needs to do their research. First off all but the really early SWA car are gonna be running bigger tires than 155/165, I would say the most poplar size in the US for these cars is 175/70/13 and good tires with lower UTQG numbers that our lightweight cars need are cheap, and a dime a dozen, and this market is being dominated by the Asians. In one way or the other I have been connected to the US tire market for 40 years, so much so I got to a ride on the Goodyear blimp as a young man smiling smiley

So here we go, I'll use 175/70/13 as size this time.

H rated, 320AA UTQG https://simpletire.com/accelera-175-70r13-1200026937-tires?stmodel=eco-plush&stcategory=all-season&sttype=passenger&gclid=CjwKCAjw1KLkBRBZEiwARzyE77fM0Fx7T2fhCM7F0uD07P4xnYVp9ASo7hogQOMaEmyev8uWTa7j0hoC1kAQAvD_BwE

Here's a band I saw with my own eyes a couple years when visiting Mid State Tire's warehouse. I immediately notice all the small sizes they made, saw the UTQG numbers, felt the rubber with my own hands, and then went back and started researching them. 420AA UTQG and they are available in the smaller sizes needed on the early SWA cars

https://www.performanceplustire.com/tires-for-sale/delinte-tires/dh2/ty:Tire:ts:175-70-13/?gclid=CjwKCAjw1KLkBRBZEiwARzyE77NYkOgy2k0BiefIAkHXHJoCM3evmCm3jWfzrmkJP7JfzC3hOm8u2BoC5skQAvD_BwE

Here's another one 320AA UHP tire H rated https://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Tires/details?&partno=FORCEUM-1317570FOR&gclid=CjwKCAjw1KLkBRBZEiwARzyE73sBPkpUbwspiaIJV5vKE7pYP3Z8AL8C6cs4MLanNfuKOi0lq2w7LRoC8E0QAvD_BwE

I have always liked this tire, 400AB https://www.tires-easy.com/175-70-13/doral-tires/sdl-a/tirecode/5713000?gclid=CjwKCAjw1KLkBRBZEiwARzyE7yRPG0E8ZzhF_1IQiaMoHLYFyCm-Uqdi6-ckAgCpkScaYgnnRH2qAhoCVPgQAvD_BwE

Here's Federal tire in this size 420AA UHP tire https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-New-Federal-Ss657-175-70r13-Tires-70r-13-175-70-13-/382797711181?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

I could do this all day. Bottom line, their are tons of 13" tires out there, even high performance 70 and 80 series tires out there, that are prefect for little lightweight cars.

OK, for the early SWA cars that need something like 155/80/13, here's a good example 440AA https://www.tires-easy.com/155-80-13/achilles-tires/122/tirecode/MAF158013?gclid=CjwKCAjw1KLkBRBZEiwARzyE7_6Gc5qYszMeg3xCuZSSwHsRCtF5k74uQLzlOPfHDBZFY0DjGHAYAhoCWlQQAvD_BwE

There are more, if you want to spend the time to do the research.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-13 08:30 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
Yes No Thank
58custom Avatar
58custom Tom Crocker
Santa Clarita, SoCal, USA   USA
This Radar tire seems OK:

Radar RPX900 175/70R13 88H UTQG 440-A-B
https://simpletire.com/catalog?width=175&ratio=70&rim=13&zip=91321&maincategory=AUTOMOBILE&category=2&query=catalog&brand=147

1969 MG Midget with Datsun A15/5 speed

Yes No Thank
padutchmidget Richard W
Landisville, PA, USA   USA
I was also looking at tires and found this thread. I found Lucas Classic tire sells a Pirelli Cinturato CA 67 in original size 145HR13 and I was curious about them. I was considering these as well as the Vredestien Sprints as well as the Firestones. The Vredestiens and Pirelli are very pricey at $120 a piece and the Firestones that I can buy locally at Universal are a little better but still pricey at $70 a piece. A lot of people here have flamed the Firestones so I am not confident in them. I have read many different threads about the common Asian made tires that are much cheaper but are actually made for newer heavier modern cars so figured I would see if anyone here tried anything other than the Firestone F560s. My car has Trazano that are made in China in 155/80 13s. One of them wore pretty badly before I fixed previous owners alignment. After I figure out my front end noise I want to replace the tires with something good.

Yes No Thank
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Hmmm. I got my Vredestein Sprints for $55 apiece, a profit of $5 each to my friend who got them for $50. Shop liquidation. Very happy with them. Wear like iron, not too sticky. Probably have about 5000 miles on them now.

Yes No Thank
padutchmidget Richard W
Landisville, PA, USA   USA
David, Did you buy the 145r13s or 155/8013s? I wasn't able to find the Vredesteins today any idea where to purchase them? Thanks Rich. Edit, I found the Vredestien Sprints for $85 each, the Firestones are $70 each and Pirelli Cinturados ar $119 each all in 145R13!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-14 03:54 PM by padutchmidget.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster