MG Midget Forum

13" Performance Tires

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Decatur, IL, USA   USA
Has anyone in the US imported tires from Europe? I have run into a few situations recently where the original size & speed rated tire is no longer available in the US (13", 14", & 15" tires) but Avon still makes them & sells them in Europe. I ended up putting H rated Michelin touring tires on my 944 when I pulled it out of storage & got it going again as I plan on just driving it around town on weekends, but my Midget project currently has Yokohama A001-R 185/60 HR 13s on it & when I looked when I initially brought the car home I didn't have any luck finding anything close to that size in the US, but they were available in Europe.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Like I said Google is your friend, this search was for 175/70/13 H rated. If I can find this stuff in 15 seconds, so can anyone else that gets on a computer. It was not meant to insult anyone Steve, it is more along the lines of, "give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish, he eats for lifetime".

I also tell folks who ask "how long a bolt does this part take" I often tell folks if they buy a $25 dial caliper they will never have to ask that question again. I tend to advise in a way that helps people help themselves.

175/70/13 H rated tires:
https://www.google.com/search?q=175/70/13,+h+rated&rlz=1C1CAFA_enUS659US659&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-yJipuJzSAhVK9IMKHWBlCAoQ_AUICCgB&biw=1236&bih=580

In reply to # 3452636 by nonracer
In reply to # 3452308 by Speedracer Google is your friend devil smiley

Also a 165/60/13 would look goofy small on a Midget.

Maybe look at 165/70/13, still smallish, or if a early SWA car 155/80/13, 165/8013

165/80/13
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS708US708&biw=1024&bih=653&tbm=shop&q=165%2F80%2F13+tires&oq=165%2F80%2F13+tires&gs_l=serp.12..30i10k1.26194.30561.0.33022.4.4.0.0.0.0.83.305.4.4.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..0.2.163...0i13k1.FdbpbaqlTh8

175/70/13 tires
https://www.google.com/search?q=175/7013+tires&espvd=2&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS708US708&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjUzMLIp5jSAhXMLyYKHcczAvcQ_AUICSgC&biw=1024&bih=653

185/70/13 works fine on a RWA car
https://www.google.com/search?q=175/7013+tires&espvd=2&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS708US708&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjUzMLIp5jSAhXMLyYKHcczAvcQ_AUICSgC&biw=1024&bih=653

OK, here's what happens when you are just messing around on Google and see if such a thing even exist.
185/65/13 H rated , can we all say hmmmmm at the same time, LOL smiling smiley

https://simpletire.com/sigma-185-65r15-5713016-tires?stmodel=doral-sdl-a&stcategory=performance&sttype=passenger&gclid=Cj0KEQiA25rFBRC8rfyX1vjeg7YBEiQAFIb3b1rtR6cvMoDQoEdFv-Gg2nWJDzAKYuGANsVS08wpdQAaAve88P8HAQ

Long story short, when people tell you they are no 13" tires available, then they really have not looked very good, because they are out there, just not at your corner tire store.
Not sure if this statement was meant for my previous post ( no big deal if it was ) but none of those 175/70/13 are performance tires , they are all season touring tires . Jim stated he was looking for a performance tire .

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-19 09:18 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
Yes No Thank
nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
No offense taken Hap , sometimes posts come across the wrong way . You have a wealth of knowledge about these cars that everyone here including me appreciate. Since tires are categorized as All season, off road, winter, race, performance, high performance, ultra high performance etc , most of the tires not all in a 175/70/13 are touring ( all season ) not performance tire , that's all I was saying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-19 12:22 PM by nonracer.

Yes No Thank
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
I put new 155/80 radial white walls on new chrome wire wheels on my '61. Should have gone with the 145s as the wire wheel adapters put the tires out a little to far and they rubbed on the rears. Had to put a 2 degree rear wedge under the leaf springs to get the proper clearance. All good now. Thanks again Rick!

Yes No Thank
Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 3453330 by nonracer No offense taken Hap , sometimes posts come across the wrong way . You have a wealth of knowledge about these cars that everyone here including me appreciate. Since tires are categorized as All season, off road, winter, race, performance, high performance, ultra high performance etc , most of the tires not all in a 175/70/13 are touring ( all season ) not performance tire , that's all I was saying.

"sometimes posts come across the wrong way ." For sure, I am quite often misunderstood, as for my delivery of a post smiling smiley I was shocked to find H rated small tires when doing Google search. If you H rated, chances are it has a stiff side wall construction, then I look for a low tread wear numbers, which normally means a softer compound.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
Yes No Thank
trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Quote: I look for a low tread wear numbers, which normally means a softer compound.

"normally" being the key word. The tread wear numbers are only a minimum approximation of tread life. On cheap tires, companies may not want to do full on testing to be able to justify a higher tread rating so they just grade them lower.

+1 Yes No Thank
  littlecars thanked trevorwj for this post
Jim Gruber Avatar
Riverview, FL, USA   USA
Thanks Guys fir all the help. Still need to pull the trigger on some rubber. Likely thus week.

Yes No Thank
Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 3453576 by trevorwj
Quote: I look for a low tread wear numbers, which normally means a softer compound.

"normally" being the key word. The tread wear numbers are only a minimum approximation of tread life. On cheap tires, companies may not want to do full on testing to be able to justify a higher tread rating so they just grade them lower.

Well, you're right , not always a guarantee, but still a good indicator. On OEM tires in the Goodyear business I worked for many years, there would often times be two exact tires, but different, the one you would buy for replacement at the dealer and the one that came on your new car when, the latter would always be a very low treadwear rating and wear out quicker. On our race tire, you got what some street guys consider quick tire, like Falken 615K, and Dunlop Direzza, both are 200AA, and for hard driven race car will push in the corners if leaned on, then there are the Nitto NT-01, Hoosier TD, and Toyo R888, they are 100AA, and they way more sticky than the 200AA stuff, on my B race car we are talking 2-3 seconds a lap.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-21 08:17 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Hi Jim. Check out the white walls. They really make the car pop!

Yes No Thank
VintageBob Avatar
VintageBob Platinum Member Bob Crow
Alvin, TX, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "The Green Car"
1972 MG Midget MkIII "The White Car"
Thanks everyone. I was searching for some H rated 13 inchers a few years ago and didn't have much success. This discussion was very helpful.

Bob.
-------------------------

Yes No Thank
Nasher Dougal Cawley/A
Doncaster, UK   GBR
this has to be the best tyre for wide rims https://www.lucasclassictires.com/175-70VR13-PIRELLI-CINTURATO-CN36-1757013.htm

however Pirelli do make a proper period 145r13 Cinturato again now, which will handle better than any modern tyre this size

Yes No Thank
Decatur, IL, USA   USA
But as I understand it the Lucas tires aren't real Pirellis, they are copies of the original. I worked for a while for a US tire manufacturer, I would want to know who is actually making them & what their quality procedures are. I know people who have bought copies of other classic tires & the reviews are definitely mixed. OK for show cars but not so good performance wise.

Yes No Thank
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
In reply to # 3903609 by Nasher this has to be the best tyre for wide rims https://www.lucasclassictires.com/175-70VR13-PIRELLI-CINTURATO-CN36-1757013.htm

however Pirelli do make a proper period 145r13 Cinturato again now, which will handle better than any modern tyre this size

Answering the question someone raised in the middle of this thread back in February. I know of two gentlemen who are not only buying out domestic stock of proper 13" road tyres for our cars, but occasionally have containers shipped from Europe including the "knockoff" Pirellis. Unfortunately, they both have had health concerns in the past few years, slowing them down quite a bit on the big purchases. PM me if you'd like contact info for these two individuals.

Yes No Thank
Nasher Dougal Cawley/A
Doncaster, UK   GBR
the 175/70VR13 CN36 is genuinely made by Pirelli. https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/car/collection

there was a back to back classic tyre test recently in a German magazine where the Pirelli Cinturato CN36 won out right.

Yes No Thank
lewmac Avatar
lewmac Silver Member Lew McAllan
Hawthorn Woods, IL, USA   USA
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Buggy"
1968 Austin-Healey Sprite "Bluey"
1969 MG MGC "Greeny"
I too have Khumo Solus 155/80's on std. wires on my Sebring. I like them, they look teh right size, but haven't done more than 50 miles on them yet !

Cheers
Lew

Attachments:
IMG_0111.JPG    54.5 KB
IMG_0111.JPG

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster