AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
So I've been spending my time rubbing down coat after coat (4 so far) of high fill primer on the LHS and roof. My guru decided to put a coat of paint on it and on the rear quarter a coat of gloss so we could see the colour I've chosen. Not sure yet if I'll paint the chrome trim the same colour or leave as is as a hilight. Don't worry about the run on the C pillar - care wasn't being taken; besides it's got to come off anyway. Real painting will take place in a proper booth not the open workshop.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-04 01:32 AM by MGB567.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
P1010713.JPG    41.5 KB
P1010713.JPG

P1010712.JPG    39.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Barrie, It's going to look real nice!

+1 Yes No Thank
  MGB567 thanked 260mgb for this post
JGug1 Avatar
JGug1 Silver Member James Guglielmino
Mission, KS, USA   USA
This is really beautiful work. I am surprised to see the flares so prominent given that they were built with VW sheet metal. I am sending pictures of a 3.4 Camaro MGB built by a very talented guy in Wichita, KS. When I first saw pictures of his flares (maybe on here) I flew down to Wichita and he kindly showed me around his B. His newer project is a Porsche 944 with a Chev V8. I haven't seen that one.

Attachments:
IMG_0347.jpg    48.1 KB
IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg    57.7 KB
IMG_0343.jpg    61.8 KB
IMG_0346.jpg    45.9 KB
IMG_0339.jpg    56.9 KB
IMG_0340.jpg    44.3 KB
+1 Yes No Thank
JGug1 Avatar
JGug1 Silver Member James Guglielmino
Mission, KS, USA   USA
Those are beautifully done arches.

Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
LHS has a guide coat plus clear so we can see how the colour looks plus it helps to pick up little faults not seen in just primer. Door and front guard are actually done with a bigger Mica flake. Wheels on next week so I can see it in the sun and decide which Mica.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Attachments:
P1010717.JPG    49.2 KB
P1010717.JPG

P1010718.JPG    42.6 KB
Yes No Thank
NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
In reply to # 3902275 by MGB567 So I've been spending my time rubbing down coat after coat (4 so far) of high fill primer on the LHS and roof. My guru decided to put a coat of paint on it and on the rear quarter a coat of gloss so we could see the colour I've chosen. Not sure yet if I'll paint the chrome trim the same colour or leave as is as a hilight. Don't worry about the run on the C pillar - care wasn't being taken; besides it's got to come off anyway. Real painting will take place in a proper booth not the open workshop.

Nothing to do with arches, other than doing the body work to attach....Here is a neat trick for those of you who are trying to decide if you can stop sanding yet. Once you have reached the point where you are sanding the high fill primer, you can get the car wet. ( I use polyurethane as a high build) So give the car a good wash to get all the dust and grease off the car and then while it is wet, have a look at the surface reflections. Anything you missed will show up.

This roof panel is not clear coated. That is water giving a preview of how reflective the final paint is going to be. Since I can see pretty much everything hanging on the shop wall, and a distortion free light above the car, I called it good.

If you want to carry the exercise a step further, you can load the spray gun up with water and practice "spraying" the car. Gives you a chance to develop the "spray plan" and teach yourself to pay attention to the liquid landing on the panel and how to move the gun. This helps a lot with the "first time I ever painted anything with a spray gun" jitters. Plus it looks coolgrinning smiley

Pete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-08 01:16 PM by NOHOME.

+2 Yes No Thank
  Mark Vaughan thanked NOHOME for this post
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3904972 by NOHOME

If you want to carry the exercise a step further, you can load the spray gun up with water and practice "spraying" the car. Gives you a chance to develop the "spray plan" and teach yourself to pay attention to the liquid landing on the panel and how to move the gun. This helps a lot with the "first time I ever painted anything with a spray gun" jitters. Plus it looks coolgrinning smiley

Great tip! thumbs up

+1 Yes No Thank
  Mark Vaughan thanked V8MGBV8 for this post

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 MG MGB MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links