AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Is this what you guys use to create the flared look?

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
MG-Maxx Avatar
MG-Maxx Silver Member Charles Waugh
West Haven, CT, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "Rumpelstiltskin"
2008 Chevrolet HHR
I believe it is the front flares that are used. For the back you flip the set - right on left....

Omni flares are also used.

When I do mine I am looking at using the Nissan Stanza flares like Mike's 'Silver Lady' has on his car. I like them over the Rabbit/ Omni flares since they follow the wheel wells complete opening...

Nissan Fender Flares on BritishV8

It is all personal taste....

Chuck
Hamden, CT

79 MGB - Rumpelstiltskin
Just awakened after a 10 year slumber.
GM 60V6 Gen 3 - 3.5L EFI V6 T-5.

Attachments:
NissanStanzaFlaresForMGB-K.jpg    61.2 KB
NissanStanzaFlaresForMGB-K.jpg

Yes No Thank
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
The Omni ones are usually flipped. The VW rear arches give a little mud flap effect like the Nissan front ones show if not flipped.

Yes No Thank
kerbau53 Avatar
kerbau53 Gold Member Geoff Morton
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB V8 Conversion "The Wreck"
In my recollection the Rabbit rear flares are what most have used. They are only very slightly bigger than the Omni flares. I compared Rabbit vs Omni side by side before deciding the Omni's would be a bit better aesthetically. That of course was only my opinion. As for the widened Fast Cars front end (53 inches) you can look at the pics of my car. I used the wider IFS with 7 inch rims @ 3.5 inches of backspace vs stock 4.5 inches. Maybe that visualization can help your decision.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 04:49 AM by kerbau53.

Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
Thanks - so what year Omni (I assume Dodge?) - it's not a car available here, the Rabbit's a Golf, the Stanza is but it's a Datsun

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Yes No Thank
kerbau53 Avatar
kerbau53 Gold Member Geoff Morton
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB V8 Conversion "The Wreck"
Mid 70s dodge Omni, Plymouth/Talbot Horizon. Not likely to be easy to find anymore. N.A. For Dodge/Plymouth, Europe for Talbot variant.

Golf/Mk1 Rabbit are closest in appearance to my eye.

Attachments:
image.jpg    44.1 KB
image.jpg

Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
Thanks Geoff - the search begins.

Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
Doesn't look like the Omni/Horizon is viable for me. There seems to be two arch repair panels for MK1Golf/Rabbit - a normal one and an extra large. Would I assume correct that the more material the better?

Yes No Thank
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
The normal one. You trim everything off around the actual flare.

+1 Yes No Thank
JGug1 Avatar
JGug1 Silver Member James Guglielmino
Mission, KS, USA   USA
I'm going to guess that you will look long and hard for Nissan Stanza flares. I did and didn't find any. If you know a great source, I'd love to hear about it.

Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
If I could find a reference to which years for Stanza I could search further afield than my evilbay. Got a year(s)

Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
If I get Golf/Rabbit arches there's two sizes for the MK1 standard and XL - which do I get?

Yes No Thank
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Barrie, The standard ones. Look at post #9 above.

Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
Sorry Jim that's what you get for not reading through the answers again before asking.

That said in #2 Charles believes it's the fronts that are used. Seems the supplier is not making these at present only the rear arches. My chances of finding a Mk1 Golf in the local wreckers are not good (although better than finding the alternatives mentioned above other than the Stanza but which year).

I assume the rears are unsuitable?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-27 06:38 PM by MGB567.

Yes No Thank
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Charles was thinking of the Omni flares. 2 left rear on left and 2 right rear on right. I think I mentioned that above too.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1954 MG Magnette ZA

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links