Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
Chessington, Surrey, UK   GBR
Another stupid question are you all running oil coolers?

I took mine out..........

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Simon Austin Avatar
Phil,

I’m running two OEM electric fans on my car and have never had an overheating issue. I couldn’t fit any aftermarket fans so went this route.

No oil cooler installed.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-28 02:53 PM by Simon Austin.

Attachments:
Spinning fans.JPG    44.5 KB
Spinning fans.JPG

Yes No Thank
mgb281 Philip Waterman
Taunton, Somerset, UK   GBR
Hi Phil
The best advice you could get regarding electric cooling fans came from Jim Stabe, buy a Volvo fan from ebay or a scrapyard. They have so much power you will no issues regarding fan capacity. Since the fan that you have came with the radiator it probably does not have half the claimed capacity. Whether it is an illusion or not but your top hose looks like it rises from the inlet manifold and then drops to the radiator, without a bleed hose going to your header tank there is nowhere for any air to escape. It was this fault that caused the demise of so many Range Rover engines.
Philip

Yes No Thank
Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
Hi Philip

Your right about the top hose I had fitted a bleed valve to it but I will adapt the pipe work to run downward from the rad to help the air out

I’ve seen a Volvo fan on eBay I’m just checking dimensions they say it’s off v70

Yes No Thank
Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
Hi Simon twin fans look great. With all the input from everyone I reckon it is a poor fan that dame with the rad and getting a Volvo fan or second fan will control it.

It’s great with all the input to be getting there with this.

Anyone any thoughts on putting thermostat back in??

Cheers

Yes No Thank
Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
Yeah, dont run too long without a thermostat as it promotes engine wear. Dont drill more than one small hole as a bypass, the engine already has one. Try the fan you have first as it may be well up to the job. On a trip my fans never run and even in town rarely run. City traffic they stay on but living in the bush I could actually do without them. Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine "3.9L Rover" early in 2016 with high comp pistons and a few other nice bits, plus a T5 ford trans. Started on the body late 2016 and complete late 2017, Did all the work myself, mechanical, body. paint etc.
Finished and going well, great to drive and quick. Now has a nice 3.23 LSD.

Yes No Thank
rficalora Avatar
rficalora ROB FICALORA
Willis, TX, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB V8 Conversion "MG MUTT"
PM me the link and I can tell you for sure if the right one. But I did look at a lot of Volvo's at my local pick a part and the S70, S90, 940, 970 and some others all had the right fan. It looks like this... And, you'll want to get the relay pack that goes with it. They are located on the radiator core support, usually on the right side of the car. The relay pack is in the bottom left of the pic.

You could wire to a switch, but there's also a BMW temp sending unit that handles two temp signals to control low speed vs high speed. Let me know if you need the PN for it.

Oh yeah, I don't recall which models had which, but I ran across two fan styles. The one pictured and another with more curved blades. The curved blades style runs a little quieter. Neither can be heard over my motor though so either is fine.

In reply to # 3799952 by Ricey30 I’ve seen a Volvo fan on eBay I’m just checking dimensions they say it’s off v70

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-28 05:44 PM by rficalora.

Attachments:
0_20120908_110251.jpg    63 KB
0_20120908_110251.jpg

Yes No Thank
mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Gold Member Glenn Towery
Dover, DE, USA   USA
What has worked for me with the Rover 3.5,3.9, 4.2 all with A/C & a Rover Buick 4.8 with no A/C, with a O/E V8 BRASS radiator, Stainless Steel hugger headers, 2 O/E 77-80 electric fans & don't tell any one that I put a Triumph Tr-7 fan on my water pump with no clutch, I make an alu plate that bolts to the W/P & to the fan. In my book you can not have too much fan. I run the Buick/Olds./Rover 3500/Tr8 low W/P ft. timing cover. I have been stuck in 105 deg. temp pilling a 73 GT back from Ar. to DE., 1400 miles WITH the A/C on!!! Over 850,000 miles on 4 of my V8s & NEVER over heated!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-28 11:12 PM by mgv8glen.

Attachments:
2185.JPG    71.2 KB
2185.JPG

2183.JPG    81.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
2087.JPG    73.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
Rob that is exactly the fan on eBay
I see the relay pack guessing looking at the wiring that the black on the fan is earth? And the other two are for two speed? The yellows on the relay are from the temp sender or switch and the large red is power ?

Don’t suppose you know thickness of it off hand? I’ve asked the ebay seller anyway

Thanks

Yes No Thank
Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
Thanks Denis I’ll refit the new stat with just one hole plus dropping the top hose down should get the last of the air out

Thanks

Yes No Thank
Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
H glen

the problem I had was getting the older style front timing cover as it appears they are gold dust along with the bottom pulleys in UK. The big shame because of the long nose I can’t get the fan between the pump and the rad. But your stats are amazing on yours and that’s a hell of a roofbox!

Yes No Thank
Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
Phil you will get heaps of advice that works and all good, but consider that many will be cooling engines 50% larger than we use, The top hose can be a problem. I cut a tight bend off another hose and used it as an adapter to align the top hose lower, keeping is almost in line with the top tank. Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine "3.9L Rover" early in 2016 with high comp pistons and a few other nice bits, plus a T5 ford trans. Started on the body late 2016 and complete late 2017, Did all the work myself, mechanical, body. paint etc.
Finished and going well, great to drive and quick. Now has a nice 3.23 LSD.

Yes No Thank
mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Gold Member Glenn Towery
Dover, DE, USA   USA
Phil, same harm. balancer/pulley. ft. cover with oil pump & new water pump & pulley + or - $300. ball park. My top hose sits high & I squeeze it & I will hear the air being pushed out in the overflow tank & will suck water back in, from the tank

Yes No Thank
scott68B Avatar
scott68B Scott Costanzo
Central, OH, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB "GM 5.3 LS4 V8"
Phil,

The Volvo fan is discussed in this thread about 2/3 of the way down the page. Jim Stabe provided the measurements you're looking for:

http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?2,41895,page=15

I'm also using it and it works great for me. It has never gone to high speed for me...low keeps things cool.

Scott

In reply to # 3800205 by Ricey30 Rob that is exactly the fan on eBay
I see the relay pack guessing looking at the wiring that the black on the fan is earth? And the other two are for two speed? The yellows on the relay are from the temp sender or switch and the large red is power ?

Don’t suppose you know thickness of it off hand? I’ve asked the ebay seller anyway

Thanks

Yes No Thank
Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
Scott thanks for that link what Jim did was brilliant

I am scuppered due to the length of the 3.9 with water pump has pushed the rad hard up against the front crossmember so I can’t get the 16” Volvo fan down with cutting metal out which I don’t want to do.

Kenlowe fit a 10 and 8 to the Mg RV8 which rubs sane set up as I have (sort of), so I’ve plumped for a 12 and 8 off Car Builder Solutions here in the UK (brilliant website) which combined give 1350 cfm

I’ll run the 12 off an 82 water switch and the 8 off a manual override

Plus I need to get used to seeing the temp gauge pretty much at 90/95 and not worry

Should have bits back together over weekend so will post pics and results

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster