Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JGug1 Avatar
JGug1 Silver Member James Guglielmino
Mission, KS, USA   USA
I will tell you what I know. Several years ago, a guy named Wilber had reached the end of having fun with his MGB project and was selling it off. I bought the body and engine and the front suspension from him. He was an engineer and had done some really nice things with the body, including welding in some slots on the sides for the turbo tubing. I posted those pictures some time ago. The front suspension has power steering on it, as Wilber expected his wife to drive the modified B. It really is a shame that he didn't finish the project.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Chris Gill has a narrowed 7.5 in his MGB. 3.45 Tru-Trac, solid pinion spacer, Girdle type cover, Alloy axles and Mustang disc brakes.

Attachments:
Chris's 7.5.jpg    39.3 KB
Chris's 7.5.jpg

Yes No Thank
JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
Oh, THAT is pretty. Who narrowed it for you? Cost?

Yes No Thank
mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Gold Member Glenn Towery
Dover, DE, USA   USA
FWIW I just went for a ride in my 73 BGT that has a T5 with 185 65 15 tires & a STOCK MGB 3.9 rear axle & with a .78 5th @ 2500 RPM in 5th I am doing 65mph. My 1st is a 3.5 & very close to the O/E MGB trans. So James if you wont 65 mph @ 2500 RPM??? I think you are looking at T5 out of the GM Camaro 3.4 V6 with 3.75 1st & you will run 1st out quick, the .72 5th. might be nice but not 1st.

Yes No Thank
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
James, Chris's Ford Ranger axle was narrowed by his machinist Bruce that does his engine work up in Canada. He is using the 2.95 first, .63 fifth with the 3.45 rear. I think it would be better with the .72 fifth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-08 10:58 PM by 260mgb.

Yes No Thank
Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
So Jim........if you are in Sequim. Where in Canada is your machinist Bruce?
Brian

1954 MGTF 1800
1962 MGA MKII

Yes No Thank
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Chris's, Not mine. I have a residence in Sequim, WA but am currently in Kingman, AZ for 10 more months until I retire. I have narrowed a couple of the Ranger rear axles using two short side axles and suggested that setup for Chris. I just found out Moser has a GM/Ford conversion bearing that presses on without machining the axle .020 for the 8"/small 9" bearing. Using their 8.8 ends for that bearing on the 7.5 ranger rear end. I cut the C clip button off and shorten each short stock axle 1/2". Or You can get short, long spline cut to fit axles for 8"/ small 9" rearends.

More specific info from the Sunbeam board:

http://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/ford-9inch-in-series-ii.26415/page-2

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-09 01:15 AM by 260mgb.

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3905426 by 260mgb James, Chris's Ford Ranger axle was narrowed by his machinist Bruce that does his engine work up in Canada. He is using the 2.95 first, .63 fifth with the 3.45 rear. I think it would be better with the .72 fifth.

I agree. The .63 5th works great with the stock rear (& my shorter 23.2" tires). Once one goes to a more reasonable rear gearset, the .72 is better. The spread from 4th to the .63 5th is too great.

Yes No Thank
svomgb Avatar
svomgb Dennis Ogden
Niwot, CO, USA   USA
I have the combo you have planned. I used the T5 and the rear axle from a donor 84 SVO. If I had a choice I'd widen the gap from 4th to 5th.
Here's my build thread
http://forum.turboford.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=30;t=000031

67 Roadster, 2.3 Ford turbo 22psi T5

Yes No Thank
JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
BEAUTIFUL. I am so glad you found my post. Will you let me pick your brain?
I posted the gearing on the T5 transmission I have. I may or may NOT stick with it, as it is Camaro and therefore, may need modification to mate with the 2.3 turbo.

Did you have to cut metal to get the engine in your B? The roadster that I have with a 2.3 motor in it that has not ever been run.....The engine was installed without cutting anything but when we put that car on the lift, I thought that the engine was too close in contact with body metal. We'll undoubtedly use that install for some information.

Yes No Thank
svomgb Avatar
svomgb Dennis Ogden
Niwot, CO, USA   USA
I had to use part of the passenger footwell for the turbo outlet, and modded the area around the radiator mounting to allow the big radiator. I did remove part of the engine mounts. No apron mods except up high for intercooler routing. Quite a few tunnel mods. I had bad noises that I chased for a while that I'm pretty sure was contact between the bellhousing bolts and the firewall. Last time I had the engine out I added some clearance to the front suspension crossmember.

Yes No Thank
JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
The first thing I thought of when I saw your early posts about the radiator you were planning on using was that a Mustang radiator works. That was what the guy who sold me the roadster told me and Tim O'Brien is apparently using a Mustang radiator, as well. It supposedly fits right in.
I wonder about the turbo outlet. Since the roadster didn't have the turbo installed, I don't know what the guy planned and I didn't see in O'Brien's post about his anything about is outlet.
I did see that you had to modify the tunnel to accommodate the T5.

Yes No Thank
JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
Yes, O'Brien used a '65 Mustang radiator. He also is using a pusher fan.
He chose a T5 from a 1988 V8 Mustang and reports cruising at 80 mph at 2500 rpm. Based on my discussions with my two restoration guys, that is too low for the turbo to spool up and it may be that the gearing on the Camaro T5 is better.
You may have seen this already.

http://www.britishv8.org/mg/timobrien.htm

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-09 10:55 PM by JGug1.

Yes No Thank
svomgb Avatar
svomgb Dennis Ogden
Niwot, CO, USA   USA
Before you commit to using a radiator that hangs down check for sway bar clearance. I I recall correctly when I mocked up a tall radiator I had to take the sway bar out.
In the final configuration I used the space underneath for the intercooler.
The car cruises at 80 easily with no boost required.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster