AutoShrine Sponsor

trumpets
  This topic is about my 1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Given no one has disabused me of my interpretation of my research that it's not wrong to strive for equal volume runners below is where I'm at. I'm aware that's not all there is to it as discussed here but do you foresee any issues? (I will have a chat with my dynocologist) . grinning smiley

As I've not trimmed the trumpet protrusions underneath nor made cuts out in the trumpet flares not all could be fitted (measure twice, cut once) but the three heights are there for viewing. Yes I know Rover only had two heights. The plenum base has around 20mm machined off the base and I've opened out the top of the manifold to match the V8 Development's trumpets which are 44mm diameter and max 95mm high so quite different to Rover's trumpets.

If you read this Curtis I'd be pleased if you copied to britishv8 as IDK how to add pics to a post there. thumbs up

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-08 08:52 PM by MGB567.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
P1010694.JPG    48.5 KB
P1010694.JPG

P1010695.JPG    49.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P1010696.JPG    39.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
I would lower the long ones for more clearance above. The larger they are (and they are big) the more open and clear of restriction the mouth needs to be. To me thats far more important than a slight variation in runner length. Going big as you have has to a large degree negated the the air speed/ flow factor. Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine "3.9L Rover" early in 2016 with high comp pistons and a few other nice bits, plus a T5 ford trans. Started on the body late 2016 and complete late 2017, Did all the work myself, mechanical, body. paint etc.
Finished and going well, great to drive and quick. Now has a nice 3.23 LSD.

MGB567 Avatar
Thanks Denis. I do need to re-check my under plenum chamber clearance on the middle four but at first glance it looked similar to that below.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
trumpet changed.jpg    23.8 KB
trumpet changed.jpg

mstemp Avatar
mstemp Silver Member Mike Stemp
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
So if the factory used 2 heights of trumpets to get equal lengths runners, what changed that makes you need 3?
Also, your new trumpets don’t seem to have a large tapper like the other aftermarket ones, like ACT.

MGB567 Avatar
In reply to # 3890818 by mstemp So if the factory used 2 heights of trumpets to get equal lengths runners, what changed that makes you need 3?
Also, your new trumpets don’t seem to have a large tapper like the other aftermarket ones, like ACT.

Because the factory never set the runners equal it was a compromise. The manifold runners are three different lengths.

The trumpets come from V8developments who are a competitor but probably not as well known as ACT.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links