Sourcing a SD1 cover

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Drew Ledet Andrew Ledet
Hernando, MS, USA   USA
Does anyone know where I can get a sd1 front cover? I have looked at taperformance, rimmer bros and of course... eBay. To no avail, does anyone know where I can get one? Thanks

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
allanreeling ALLAN R
RANDLAY, TELFORD, Shropshire, UK   GBR
Clive Wheatley (MG V8 Parts) used to sell them when I worked there. I bought one off him 4 years ago. He was importing them, I always assumed from the States, because of what they were. They had the longer oil pump gears as well, needed the locating dowel holes enlarging and an "odd" bit of the casting cutting off but were otherwise identical to the Rover front cover..

soonerv8

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Sounds like Clive was using Buick V6 parts.

Yes No Thank
Walrus1954 Avatar
Walrus1954 Neil Peniston
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
Lots of sites selling the older model Buick V6 timing cover. Fits the SD1.

Yes No Thank
Drew Ledet Andrew Ledet
Hernando, MS, USA   USA
I have a rover v8, I am looking for an sd1 cover to add a distributer, would that fit?

In reply to # 3892318 by Walrus1954 Lots of sites selling the older model Buick V6 timing cover. Fits the SD1.

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Walrus1954 Avatar
Walrus1954 Neil Peniston
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
Check out the TA Performance website. All you will ever want to know.

Yes No Thank
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Finding SD1 covers is getting real hard to do. Many have been tossed because the oil pump gears have a way of scoring the housing, resulting in low oil pressure. The TR8 guys pretty much have exhausted the supply in the states. Best bet is to try and find one in England where there were way more V8 SD1s. If you do manage to find one, expect to pay $175 or more. You have several other options. You can use any of the Buick covers with mods on some of them. The 300 cover has the tiiming marks in the wrong spot so avoid them. There are aftermarket performance Buick V6 covers for less money than a used SD1 cover. Running the V6 cover also allows you to run a Buick Water pump. I used that setup on my TR8 race car because every parts store had a water pump in stock, and it was easier to underdrive my ancillaries. Needed some adjustments to get all of the pulleys to align. I have several SD1 covers, but I won't sell any more. I have a pile of Buick 215 covers. If you want one of those, I can sell you one for $40. In fact, I have a crap load of Buick and Olds 215 stuff I'm tired of looking at. Love to get rid of it all and just focus on the Rover and LSX stuff.

Yes No Thank
Drew Ledet Andrew Ledet
Hernando, MS, USA   USA
What conditions are the covers in? If they are in good condition I would be happy to buy one off of you once I get this next check!

Yes No Thank
allanreeling ALLAN R
RANDLAY, TELFORD, Shropshire, UK   GBR
Carl,
I think you are right they were Buick V6 front covers he was importing.

soonerv8

Yes No Thank
40indianss don foote
2walla wa, USA   USA
I see this question come up now and again and wonder why more don't use the intermediate cover with the distributor hole and crankshaft driven rotary oil pump? Using this on my 4.6 and pulleys and v belts align nicely. Seems easier

Yes No Thank
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Whenever your ready Andrew. Track me down thru the PM. We can swap emails and I can put together a package of whatever you need. Really getting tired of having this Buick Olds stuff cluttering up my garage. Trying to get the garage back to where I can tent off an area and paint a couple of cars this spring. Been around 10 years since I had enough room to do so. Some of the stuff I have been hoarding has got to go. Been letting go of stuff that falls into the someday, or thats worth money categorie. Just sold 3 BMW Recarro seats. Scraped 1000 lbs of cast iron radiators. Spent the last two weeks breaking down and reupholstering TR8 seats. Started out with 24 beaten up used seats. Down to 3 sets of newly covered and 3 more sets of good used ones. The rest of the stuff went to the dump.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1977 MG MGB GT V6 Conversion

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links